Help extracting bolt with stripped head

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
I've got a stripped bolt head that needs removing. It's a hex socket, and the head of the bolt is flush with the mounting bracket, so I can't just cut a groove with a dremel and use a slotted screwdriver to extract it. What do I do in this situation? See attached photo, it's the top of the two bolts that mounts my clutch lever to the handlebar.

Thanks,

Jerry

img_1371-L.jpg

You may be able to tap a 6mm allen wrench into there to get enough purchase to turn the bolt out. If it won't start, drill out the stripped hole a little. The 6mm allen should be a new one, with nice sharp edges, not one that's been heavily used and rounded over. If the allen won't work, your next choice is an extractor (EZ Out). I really think tapping in the short end of the allen key will work for you. Good luck. Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
sometimes with those, if you loosen the good one, the bad one isnt near as tight,, might be worth a shot

or tap an old flat headed screw driver in there.....

failing that Jerry trade it in a buy a new one.......

R

If you aren't in a HUGE hurry, JB Weld a trash allen wrench in that puppy, let it sit over night and cure.

-MD

A left hand drill bit might back it out or just drill progressively larger till the head of the bolt comes off. After it's apart the stub of the bolt will stick up enough to spin out with a pair of pliers, then just replace the bolt. This is an easy fix.

Drill the head off the bad one and then remove the good one. Once you remove the bracket you will be able to clamp the the remainder of the bolt with a pair of vise grips. Let us know how you make out.

Canadian FJR

You could pound a Torx bit in the hole, the biggest one that will fit. Then wrench on that. If that doesn't work, then drill it out.

Good luck...

CrabbyJack

Canadian FJR said it right. I have a Moto Guzzi with a bunch of those bolts holding the oil pan on - the pan has the filter in it. So, after 120,000 miles of oil change, something had to give & the drill idea seems to work well.

I have a Moto Guzzi with a bunch of those bolts holding the oil pan on - the pan has the filter in it.
Now that sounds like a major PITA!!!

Yo Jerry, how the heck did you strip that bolt in the first place?

They make screw extractors for socket-head bolts.

I have used these at work, and had good success with them.

My link (You have to go to the next page, 2838, to see them: "Recess-Grip Socket-Screw Extractors")

You can order single extractors, note that you have to specify the actual thread size, NOT the size allen wrench that fits it.

I have also seen these at Sears.

You could pound a Torx bit in the hole, the biggest one that will fit. Then wrench on that. If that doesn't work, then drill it out.

Good luck...

CrabbyJack
+1 Or the next size SAE allen, or even a standard screwdriver....loosen the bottom bolt first and the top one should come out easily.

If there is enough depth to the hole, you can thread a left handed bolt into it. As it tightens, it will start to loosen the stripped bolt.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I'm going to try the oversized Torx idea first. Then impact driver with extractor. Then maybe we'll get into drilling and reverse-tapping.

Butt first, I think I'll have a replacement bolt ready. I can just see getting the old one out, and then saying "Now what?" :lol:

Latest posts