Rear ended at light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I got rear ended by a cager while sitting at a stop light. :( I pulled up to a red light and stopped to make a right turn. No opportunity to proceed and merge into the line of cars coming from the left. All of a sudden - boom. The bike lurched forward about 6 inches and I struggled to keep the bike standing and I was in a slight state of shock. Put the kickstand down and got off the bike. The gal got out and came over - but did not seem too concerned. Seemed like it took forever to get the helmet off (remove gloves, take off sunglasses, undo strap). She just is kinding of standing there. I walk around the bike which is still against her car bumper and hood. Not much damage that I can find. I ask her for her contact info and wave at a group of police that were attending to a guy being put in hand cuffs in front of the convenience store. See- I believe she was watching the police activity and was not paying attention. An officer comes over - looks things over. Says - ok, this is a non reportable accident, so just exchange information. I said to the guy - I don't think she has insurance (since she was rummaging through her glove box for a long time). He says - ok let me see both of your licenses and registrations. Long story short - he sites her for not having insurance (can be dismissed if she can prove she had insurance with in 15 days) since she did have her insurance card - but it was out of date. He said he was not going to site her for following to close.

The bike sustained a dented left muffler (in the end of the muffler, near the exhaust outlet). My Hyperlights placed by the license plate were bent - but that is about all. I have her insurance info from the incident report. Its been a while since I submitted any accident damage to another's insurance - how does this work anyway?

Lastly- on the ride home, it made me think about the risks out there. Things can change in a nanosecond. I was sort of feeling - this is a 'shot across my bow' and its time to get rid of the bike. This was really quite minor in the scheme of things - but I was really pondering the risks. Hats off to all who have survived going down on the road.

Any tips, tricks and advise for moving through this with the insurance folks?

Mates

Last edited by a moderator:
There is almost always damage than you can see. I would get all the plastic off the back annd carefully inspect everything.

There is almost always damage than you can see. I would get all the plastic off the back annd carefully inspect everything.
Pretty good advice. It sounds like more than a love tap.

As far quitting riding, that, of course, is a purely personal choice that has to be based on a lot of factors. I just want to point out that we've all lost friends and/or loved ones to auto accidents. I don't know anyone who has decided to quit driving because of it.

Glad you're all right. :thumbsup:

Same thing happened to me on the freeway once but the car ended up on top of my bike. When I got off the gound and looked back the dumb biatch still had her phone to her ear with her mouth gaping in disbelief. I had to yell at her a couple times to back off my bike so it could be picked up.

week old Volvo S40 + Spoiled rotten 18 y.o. girl + cell phone = imminent destruction. This happened ten years ago and I am still shell shocked over how much force there was (approx 30 MPH impact), and it is now a force of habit to stare in the mirror while braking to a stop.

I understand you're thoughts on hanging it up, this is a test to see how much you really love riding.

Well, it finally happened. I got rear ended by a cager while sitting at a stop light. :( I pulled up to a red light and stopped to make a right turn. No opportunity to proceed and merge into the line of cars coming from the left. All of a sudden - boom. The bike lurched forward about 6 inches and I struggled to keep the bike standing and I was in a slight state of shock. Put the kickstand down and got off the bike. The gal got out and came over - but did not seem too concerned. Seemed like it took forever to get the helmet off (remove gloves, take off sunglasses, undo strap). She just is kinding of standing there. I walk around the bike which is still against her car bumper and hood. Not much damage that I can find. I ask her for her contact info and wave at a group of police that were attending to a guy being put in hand cuffs in front of the convenience store. See- I believe she was watching the police activity and was not paying attention. An officer comes over - looks things over. Says - ok, this is a non reportable accident, so just exchange information. I said to the guy - I don't think she has insurance (since she was rummaging through her glove box for a long time). He says - ok let me see both of your licenses and registrations. Long story short - he sites her for not having insurance (can be dismissed if she can prove she had insurance with in 15 days) since she did have her insurance card - but it was out of date. He said he was not going to site her for following to close.

The bike sustained a dented left muffler (in the end of the muffler, near the exhaust outlet). My Hyperlights placed by the license plate were bent - but that is about all. I have her insurance info from the incident report. Its been a while since I submitted any accident damage to another's insurance - how does this work anyway?

Lastly- on the ride home, it made me think about the risks out there. Things can change in a nanosecond. I was sort of feeling - this is a 'shot across my bow' and its time to get rid of the bike. This was really quite minor in the scheme of things - but I was really pondering the risks. Hats off to all who have survived going down on the road.

Any tips, tricks and advise for moving through this with the insurance folks?

Mates
Report it to your insurance agent, let them do the paperwork and get the ball rolling. They will go after her insurance as they are suppose to represent you among other things. Most likely your insurnace company will get you repaired and taken care of since there is a question as to whether she has valid insurance. That is what uninsured motorist insurance is for. Also, it makes your insurance company earn some of the premiums you pay them.

It is natural to re-evaluate why you ride, the risks and such if you are involved in a close call or accident. Only you can answer if the risks are worth the rewards.

Glad you're alright!

As for the damage, +1 on what the others have said...look things over with a fine tooth comb. The dent in the end of the muffler could signal other possible damage further up the line (brackets, header pipes, and joints).

I don't think this is a reason to stop riding, although I understand your thought on it...we can kick off anywhere, anytime, on, in, or around anything. The lesson here would be to ensure your situational awareness is on high alert, especially at intersections, waiting at a light...and being ready to execute an escape plan if the situation calls for it.

Yes, right now your a little freeked out, it could have been alot worse, But it wasn't, it was a small accident, no one was hurt. Don't build this up in your head to be something worse then it was. I wouldn't let this stop you from riding a motorcycle. Hell, if you quit doing things because of the potintial harm it could bring, you wouldn't do anything. "Don't quit living, for fear of dying" Just my $0.02 ;)

+1 to what AuburnFJR said in reference to insurance. As for a following too closely ticket, that charge is tough to prove in court due to the language in the statute. Because it is a violation, the collision must be witnessed by the officer or must be investigated for a citation to be written. A careless driving ticket is much more applicable and has a higher base fine. Good way to punish these knucklehead cagers that should be paying attention. Sorry this happened to you. Glad you are okay. I worry about rear end collisions all the time.

Any accident you can walk (or hobble) away from is simply not serious . . . why the heck would you stop riding? In 2005 I had a head-on collision with a car that drifted over the center line on a 2-lane highway on my old C10 - I went flying through the air (passing through the bike's windshield along the way) and used the oncoming car's windshield as a trampoline, flying 20 or so feet up in the air and 20 feet laterally - to this day I have torn tendons in my rotator cuff and a floating bone chip in my foot and left wrist. I was black and blue from neck to ankle and managed to bruise a kidney and my spleen. The C10 was totaled.

I was out on my backup bike the following day. You should be too.

Consider enhancing your brake lighting - I have a Whelen Dominator light bar controlled by a brake light modulator serving that function on the FJR.

I think any accident, car or motorcycle, minor or major, just shakes your psyche up a bit (depending on your background and life experience) and is basically a reminder that things can go wrong...and that you can do everything right and still be on the receiving end of trauma.

So I don't belittle your thoughts at all. Reflect, get some perspective, step back, take the whole picture in...get a grip on what's important to you.

Then GO FOR IT...whatever direction you want to take.

Glad you are ok. Not surprising to hear that you are rethinking riding and the dangers. The accident could have been much worse.

Doesn't sound like all the lights in the world would have made a difference for you. She probably wasn't even looking where she was going.

Best rule of riding is to ride as if you are invisible. Hell most of the time we are the way cagers drive. Had several very close calls myself.

The insurance thing is easy. Turn it in to yours and they do all the work. I would definitely have the bike looked at by a dealer. I had a rear-ender on another bike and it appeared I just needed some minor cosmetics. The dealer found that the rear section was bent slightly (now they could have made that up to increase costs, who knows?) and it was replaced. I would never have an accident on my scoot without an expert giving it the once over for damage.

As far as not getting back on the horse - clearly it's your comfort level that is most important. Riding is dangerous, but also the most wonderful experience at the same time for me. Scares the crap out of me almost on a daily basis and I suspect it helps keep the plaque down in my arteries at times! For example, just yesterday I am on the way to my local to watch the Man U game and a woman decided to hit the left-hand turn lane from the far right lane. Problem was I was on her front corner panel when she wanted to make the switch. She was on her phone - holding it to her left ear at the time - so of course she didn't see I was there. Luckily I was able to blip the throttle and escape. If I wasn't paying attention she would have swept the rear right out from under me.

Having been in a serious rear-ender at a full stop (old guy, big caddy, 35-40 mph crunch speed, 1 month in hospital - priceless) I know it shakes you up. However, now there is NOTHING that can hit me while I am stopped I am so pumped. I,m always looking for crazies as if I were starring in a real-life episode of The Walking Dead. Head on a swivel to the nth degree for sure.

Best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go - I am sure it will work out best either way.

Been there... These two replies say it well.

"I don't think this is a reason to stop riding, although I understand your thought on it...we can kick off anywhere, anytime, on, in, or around anything. The lesson here would be to ensure your situational awareness is on high alert, especially at intersections, waiting at a light...and being ready to execute an escape plan if the situation calls for it."

"Having been in a serious rear-ender at a full stop (old guy, big caddy, 35-40 mph crunch speed, 1 month in hospital - priceless) I know it shakes you up. However, now there is NOTHING that can hit me while I am stopped I am so pumped. I,m always looking for crazies as if I were starring in a real-life episode of The Walking Dead. Head on a swivel to the nth degree for sure.

Best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go - I am sure it will work out best either way."

The rules are: always leave yourself an out, and always expect others are going to do something unthinkably stupid and you will be in a much better position to stay safe.

+1 on letting your insurance company represent your best interests.

As for the Riding a Motorcycle evaluation. Anyone telling you to brush it off and carry on without another thought without knowing you personally should be ignored. If you were seriously injured in a motorcycle accident who does that affect? Kids, Wife, etc.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune Scott. Glad it wasn't any worse (yet) than a couple dents. Everyone has summed things up nicely, get the bike checked out thoroughly to look for hidden damage and let your insurance company handle the details.

Good luck with the decision on riding...it's something we all face everyday.

--G

First, glad you're OK. Bummer about the damage, it's repairable. Bummer she wasn't paying attention either.

Not always but many times whenever I come upon a seen of police or other activity, I pay closer attention to others because they aren't paying attention. Kind of hard to do 360º. This stuff just stinks.

I have all sorts of caution articles, signs and bumper stickers outside my tiny cubical at work. Also Cali has also enacted the "Share the road with motorcycles on their hwy signs. Ya know, I do notice more people are giving me more space around me. That's cool.

Ride safe. ;)

BTW - Your title, read ended or rear. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: