MC Enterprises tip over guards - are they any good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idealistix

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing these crash guards to protect the fairing and the saddlebags in case of very low speed or stationary drops. I would like some feedback from people who have used these TOGs. My questions are:

1. How effective are these guards in case of a very low speed (less than 5 mph) tip over? Are the mirrors and the saddlebags protected?

2. Can these guards potentially touch the road while riding aggressively? From the photos, the front bars look to be ok since they are mounted quite high up. The rear bars are mounted lower down, and I wonder if they could come in contact with the road surface while leaning over.

3. Can the front guard be used as a rudimentary highway peg?

These are the TOGs in question:

ENGINE%20GUARD%2017.jpg

SIDE%20BAG%20LRG.JPG

These crash bars are available from MC Enterprises: link

I searched on the forum and found this old thread about a group buy for these TOGs, but there wasn't a lot of feedback from people who actually used them. There are some good photos in post number 32. Link

It don't seem like the rears would be the first to touch down, but I'm just guessing. A simple enough and harmless test would be to get a thick piece of cardboard or a sheet of plywood place one end on the ground under the center of the bike (while someone is holding it upright) and gradually lever the sheet up, you'll be able to see which bits are touching the sheet.

One problem with the front guard is that you'll need to re-torque the engine bolts anytime you need to remove the fairing.

I am interested in purchasing these crash guards to protect the fairing and the saddlebags in case of very low speed or stationary drops. I would like some feedback from people who have used these TOGs. My questions are:

1. How effective are these guards in case of a very low speed (less than 5 mph) tip over? Are the mirrors and the saddlebags protected?

2. Can these guards potentially touch the road while riding aggressively? From the photos, the front bars look to be ok since they are mounted quite high up. The rear bars are mounted lower down, and I wonder if they could come in contact with the road surface while leaning over.

3. Can the front guard be used as a rudimentary highway peg?

These are the TOGs in question:

ENGINE%20GUARD%2017.jpg

SIDE%20BAG%20LRG.JPG

These crash bars are available from MC Enterprises: link

I searched on the forum and found this old thread about a group buy for these TOGs, but there wasn't a lot of feedback from people who actually used them. There are some good photos in post number 32. Link

The rear one look fine to me ... I think that could help a lot in a slow speed lay down. But whey are the front bars so tall? How about using Frame Sliders up front and the bars shown in the rear.

Agreed on the use a high quality frame slider on the front. If all you want is tip over protection I think that coupled with the rear guard would be far more protection that most have. I thing the guard is so high in front because these are frequently used by police agencies. They provide ultimate protection including additional leg safety as well as mounting points for lights/sirens, etc. I'm not sure I've ever seen these used except in police applications.

Even with sliders, the upper fairing, mirror base, and stator cover will touch the ground. With the rear bar that would be even worse, as the rear won't lay down as far as it would without, levering the bike towards the front bits.

For me, if you're gonna use the rear one, use the whole set. If you use just sliders, be ready to sacrifice the rear bag.

Even with sliders, the upper fairing, mirror base, and stator cover will touch the ground. With the rear bar that would be even worse, as the rear won't lay down as far as it would without, levering the bike towards the front bits.

For me, if you're gonna use the rear one, use the whole set. If you use just sliders, be ready to sacrifice the rear bag.

I always thought the rear bags were the rear sliders.........

KM

With those bars and a little white in strategic areas, I bet traffic will not be a problem for ya! ;)

I like the looks of the rear bar, but the front is fugly. Like many have mentioned and unlike ST's and RT BMW's, when the FJR tips, it flops over and generally takes out a mirror. With just a front slider and rear bar as wfooshee says, it would lever over harder on the front.

Choices, choices...have fun with the decision.

--G

I wish I had these a couple of days ago; I put the kickstand down in what I thought was solid, but it dug in and tipped over a couple of steps after I walked away from it. Not a big deal, but did tweak some stuff...

What I wonder about is the width it adds to the bike and if that's an issue.

My order of priority is:

1. The TOGs should not contribute to an accident by coming into contact with the road while the bike is leaned over at speed (my safety).

2. They should protect the fairing / bags at low speeds (the bike's safety).

3. They should look good when mounted on the bike.

I ruled out the 905 bars because I think that they fail my first requirement. I don't know for sure, but they seem to be mounted quite low on the bike. The MC Enterprises bars don't do well on the third requirement, but it is of lower priority. ;)

I'll place the order tomorrow for the MC Enterprises bars.

Unfortunately the 905s are also much more dangerous, since they'll touch down quite easily when leaning/turning.

I went to OES accessories and got a set for hte FJR that were 1.5" longer than what they stocked, so, they are about 2.5 - 3" long. Sliders also then dual as highway pegs. Once I get bored, maybe I'll see how well they work (on some cardboard)

My order of priority is:

1. The TOGs should not contribute to an accident by coming into contact with the road while the bike is leaned over at speed (my safety).

I ruled out the 905 bars because I think that they fail my first requirement. I don't know for sure, but they seem to be mounted quite low on the bike. The MC Enterprises bars don't do well on the third requirement, but it is of lower priority. ;)

Unfortunately the 905s are also much more dangerous, since they'll touch down quite easily when leaning/turning.
Let us know how they go.

I've always wanted to try these bars, but didn't have the extra $ to indulge. Maybe someday when I do, I'll swap out my sliders for them. Actually like the look of them, funny enough. The front bars would be a great place to mount some spot auxillary lights.

IDEALISTIX, did you install the MC enterprises guards? I just ordered the front and rear yesterday, and should have them sometime next week. I am looking forward to installing them, but just like you asked, I would like to hear from anyone that has already installed them and what kind of experiences they have had with them. I had GSG sliders, but I didn't feel comfortable with using the bags as sliders! LOL So, I decided to bite the bullet, take off the GSGs and install the entire MC set.

My order of priority is:

Uh, the 905 fronts protect all that important bits up front.

https://www.dishers.com/2009/03/17/fjr-crash-bars-a-good-investment

In a tip over, you're mirror would be fine, but I did rash it just a little bit. But mine was already scraped from a prior drop, pre-crash bars.

You can also (grind off) a bit of the bottom, add a bit of a chamfer, with an angle grinder head of time, or just work it out on a few turns. About 6 trips up and down the dragon will do it.

Though I believe 905 has changed them. I could be wrong.

-MD

My order of priority is:

Uh, the 905 fronts protect all that important bits up front.

https://www.dishers.com/2009/03/17/fjr-crash-bars-a-good-investment

In a tip over, you're mirror would be fine, but I did rash it just a little bit. But mine was already scraped from a prior drop, pre-crash bars.

You can also (grind off) a bit of the bottom, add a bit of a chamfer, with an angle grinder head of time, or just work it out on a few turns. About 6 trips up and down the dragon will do it.

Though I believe 905 has changed them. I could be wrong.

-MD
I lightly touched once, but not since dialing up the front preload to 2 lines showing. Also, I made Delrin sliders that go inside the upper (engine mount) tube and they stick out 3" more. I've accidently had a couple of tipovers in uneven gravel lots, and no issue. Mirrors not even close. I have the Benelux sliders on the back, which come with a hefty stainless steel plate to mount them to.

Latest posts