Let's see your custom cut windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALDAWG

Reaction score
I want to cut my stock shield down for the summer, but before I do, I thought I'd ask the forum members, that have already cut theirs, for some feedback. What I'm looking for is some people to talk about the results of their "custom cuts" Mostly interested in the sizes and shapes, Gen I-II. Was it what you thought it would be? Do you wish you cut it differently? Did it have any negative results? That sort of thing. This information is gonna be helpful to anybody wanting to do this, especially with the warm weather coming up. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a picture of it right now, it's not warm enough to put on. I can go dig thru last years photos to find a shot of mine.

FYI - I used a junkier windscreen to cut, in case it took adump or what ever, I didn't want to look thru scratches or risk a good windscreen breaking. I looked online (forum, ebay, etc) for an ok windscreen for cheap, finally found it. Actually it was mine, I bought a better windscreen from another forum member for cheap.

I took the stock Gen1 windscreen and took 3" off the top. Just radius the corners to look good, use like the ID of a role of tape or something big like that. Used tape on both sides to help with scratching while on the band saw. Sand edges with fine paper and if you want polish it, I didn't do that looks fine. Our Admin Galaxy Blue polished his edges on his cut down windscreen, looks like a pro did it, better than stock I'd say. maybe he has a good picture of his.

It's awesome! I now have tons-O-air flow to my body, it's great.

Good luck.

I laid a "newer" windshield over the old one to be cut. Lined it up about 4" from the top of the old one and traced the contour of the new one onto tape on the old one. Cut on a band saw and sanded. I may do some more cuttingto remove that little "flip' near the bottom - make it more round/oval overall.

I'm thinking about blacking or "chroming" it out since I will most likley never get down low enough to look through it now - even at its highest position. Some RC suppliers sell chrome paint (ww.spazstix.com) for painting the inside of lexan RC car bodies, you then paint over it in black. It is a true mirror finish, but not sure how it would look with the few scratches already on the inside of the screen.

They also sell color change - that would be cool on the windscreen.

Same situation as FJRBluesman. Not warm enough yet to mount it. I taped both sides and drew a pattern on the tape. Cut it with a jigsaw and metal blade very slowly so as not to melt. Final shaping with a surform and finishing with progressively finer sand paper. BTW, cut it while mounted on the bike and used towels under the shield and over the top of everything. An added benefit to more air is much less buffeting and helmet noise.

Above 75 mph you start to feel the wind pressure. Raising the stubby about an inch or so reduces that to a comfortable level. None the less, you're probably not going to be wild about it in the rain.

Dan

None the less, you're probably not going to be wild about it in the rain.

Nope - mine directs the rain right into my face. That also helps keep you cool!
It's exactly this kind of input I'm looking for, thanks you guys! I've noticed everybody cut their windshield down, but has anybody cut the width? So I was thinking if I kept it tall for keeping the rain off my face, and cutting it narrow for more air flow. I'm hoping to get more airflow around the chest area, without loosing all of the protection from a taller shield. One thing I've noticed about aftermarket shields is that they are wider as well as taller, thus making it a barn door.

None the less, you're probably not going to be wild about it in the rain.

Nope - mine directs the rain right into my face. That also helps keep you cool!

Actually, I don't get anymore rain in the face than with the regular shield. In my case, the rain hits me mid chest.

No one makes rain gear that will keep you dry with hard rain hitting the rain jacket in the zipper area (even with storm flaps) at 60+ MPH for hour after hour. OTOH, in that kind of rain, I've always wound up wet even with a full shield.

It's something that is livable and worth the tradeoff for more airflow and less noise. However, if I'm going off on a one week trip where I think significant rain is a good possibility, like the Gaspe peninsula, the Calsci oversize windshield goes back on for the duration. I guess what I'm saying is, if you're going to cut down a screen, you need to have a second, bigger one too. Hope that helps.

Dan

ALDAWG,

I have these two extra shields that are modded.

Shields001.jpg

The one with the cut-outs is the stock shield. The mod eliminates the back pressure from the shield when it is in the "up" position -- painted with black "paint for plastic" on the inside.

The shorty shield is one I got from Highlandetr (Dave) and it works pretty good for summer riding - blasts the air right at your chest. Mostly though, cause I'm too lazy :rolleyes: , I pretty much leave the clear Givi shield in place nowadays. It has the flip top and works well enough for me to leave it alone :)

I cut 3" off mine, and cut the corners at an angle. Also copied Cal-Sci vent in bottom.Lots more air, but more noise, and buffeting. In the hotter months it's a worth while trade.

100_0522.jpg

Back side

100B0781.jpg

front side

100B0761.jpg

ALDAWG,

I have these two extra shields that are modded.

Shields001.jpg

The one with the cut-outs is the stock shield. The mod eliminates the back pressure from the shield when it is in the "up" position -- painted with black "paint for plastic" on the inside.

The shorty shield is one I got from Highlandetr (Dave) and it works pretty good for summer riding - blasts the air right at your chest. Mostly though, cause I'm too lazy :rolleyes: , I pretty much leave the clear Givi shield in place nowadays. It has the flip top and works well enough for me to leave it alone :)

Mounted on my old 04..............

IMG_0140.jpg

I cut a few inches off my stock just to know the difference between bigger vs. smaller.

IMG_1275.jpg

I instantly remembered why I bought a bike with a screen! Too much noise and buffeting!

The Rifle I got was a barn door for sure, but it was so calm and quiet I couldn't believe it! Now I have a "barn door" for multiple day adventures that might require eliminating any and all sources of stress.

Then I used another rifle to modify. Trimming slightly to mimic the stock shape (mostly at the top corners).

IMG_1202.jpg

Now it's the only one I use. It's quiet, calm and I'm not eating bugs. The other day I rode right through a cloud of bees, and they just pinged off and away!

I've also been curious about this and it looks like most want to have two shields at least, to cover most contingencies. I dont raise or lower my shield much, and the shield sticks now as the lights go out...very exciting in the dark texas hill country with deer playing roullete beside the road. I could take the nose off etc. but i is a lazy bastage and just keep the shield down. I do have an edge on it from a company called teang or something and it works good too. If i cut down the stocker i'd find a bigger one for the 2 days we get rain here, or travelling. I go fast quite a bit, 100-120, and am curious in term of buffeting with a passenger as i've managed to drug and hypnotize a woman whom i tie on the bike from time to time...her screams fade quite a bit after 75 or so...Yoko's one tough wench i tell ya! Anyway, hows the high speed buffeting with a cut down?

Blessings,

Bobby