Malorie's Law

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
I've just read something on Facebook that concerns me. Since FB is not the world's most reputable source of information, I'm asking for a discussion here to see what my forum friends know.

Recently a young Texas woman. Malorie Elise Bullock died in an accident where the rider of the sport bike on which she was a passenger, lost control and crashed. Very sad news, to hear of a life ending before it had hardly begun. I'm sure her family, as well as the rider are devastated.

In the wake of this, a new law is being crafted, which restricts sport bike passengers to adults with an 'M' endorsement on their license. If a guy wants to take his girl for a ride, she'll have to have a bike license now. Does that smack of blatant discrimination or what? Will the FJR be called a sport bike for this purpose?

It makes sense that those who loved this girl want to prevent others suffering the way that they are doing, but this seems to target a very small population. If this law passes, what's next for motorcyclists?

Good post Jill.

Very sad this girl died, very sad indeed. Details are not real clear. clicky.

Sounds like the typical knee jerk reaction when someone gets hurt or killed.

Malorie's Law looks like they want all operators of a motorcycle to have an "M" class license like in Cali. I don't see pillion’s needing the "M" class just the driver, per the bill, unless the operator didn't have a class "M" for two years or under 18, etc. Not sure how the passenger having an "M" class will prevent an accident. :huh:

The bill mentions leaning forward to operate the bike means it's a Sport Bike. Exempt are Touring, Cruisers, and Dual Sports. Most motorcycles you are leaning forward. So how does a law enforcement officer truly tell if you're riding a Sport bike? Again this is typical of trying to protect people and then over regulating something and getting many things caught up in a group that shouldn't be there.

It's too bad this tragic event happened, period. It gets worse when someone tries to "prevent" future ocurances by regulation. It usually hurts more then it helps.

I mean ...a motorcycle designed for acceleration, braking, maneuverability on paved roads,... has a light weight frame... is considered a Sport Bike, aren't all vehicles designed this way?

I'm all for people knowing how to operate a motorcycle properly, MSF should be for any noob. This bill though I'm not really sure will help much except create a lot of hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read several articles, and get the impression that both the rider AND the passenger have to be over 18 and BOTH have to have an 'M' endorsement. There is an exception if the passenger is a licensed instructor, although how you could be an instructor without a motorcycle endorsement seems odd.

Theoretically, a seventeen year old could legally take his young girlfriend out for a ride on the back of an FJR but not on a Ninja 250, if the new law passes.

I wonder how this will be enforced? Will all passenger-carrying sport bikes be stopped? FJR riders beware. To many, our favorite steed passes for a sport bike. Will teenage boys suddenly start obeying the law and stop taking illegal passengers? Perhaps the law should clamp down on reckless riding, and require MSF instruction for youngsters to get a license.... but wait.... isn't that already the case?

Good Morning Jill and Simon,

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/ I just went to the AMA website, I am a Lifetime Member, wanting to see their opinion regarding Malorie's Law.

They are asking all AMA members to send in letters opposing this bill. It has currently passed the Texas House, but not the State Senate as of yet.

Action Alert

Texas House of Representatives Passes “Sport Bike” Law

Could establish dangerous precedent for Texas motorcyclists

On May 4th the House passed House bill 2470, which defines “sport bikes” as a separate class of motorcycles and places special restrictions on the operators of “sport bikes”. The bill would also require motorcycles designed to carry more than one person to be equipped with passenger foot pegs and handholds for use by the passenger.

While the requirement for passenger accommodations is redundant (these requirements are addressed in federal regulation) the AMA is most concerned by the state’s arbitrary definition of “sport bike” and the potential of establishing a dangerous precedent of regulating motorcycles and motorcyclists differently based on this definition.

The bill’s definition of “sport bike” is so broad that it may even be counterproductive to motorcycle safety. In a position statement, the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) observed that,

There are small displacement (250 cc) motorcycles that, because of the vague and subjective criteria proposed, would be included in the definition of “sport bike” that are as appropriate, or more so, for novice riders than certain other larger displacement motorcycles that create much more horsepower yet would not fall under the “sport bike” definition and therefore not have restrictions placed on them.

HB 2470 is currently in the state Senate.

The AMA encourages all Texas motorcyclists to review the legislation which is posted on the StateWatch section of AmericianMotorcyclist.com and contact their state senator with their concerns.

Thanks Don. I'm sure that the AMA will take a balanced look at all the facts, then go to bat on behalf of fair treatment for all motorcyclists. That's one of the things we pay our dues for.

Thanks Don. I'm sure that the AMA will take a balanced look at all the facts, then go to bat on behalf of fair treatment for all motorcyclists. That's one of the things we pay our dues for.
My Dear Miss Jilly Beans, I went back to the AMA website for further investigation: They are on top of this.

They are asking for all Motorcyclists who use Facebook and Twitter to contact their riding friends in Texas and ask that they contact their State Representatives in hopes of stopping this bill!

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/IssuesLegislation.aspx

Jill, the only time the passenger has to have an 'M' endorsement is if the driver has had their 'M' endorsement less than two years. It's obviously a reactionary law targeting young people on sport bikes. It's a stupid law imho, but I can understand why they are doing it. How many videos are out on the net of young kids doing extremely stupid stuff on sport bikes?

BTW, there is a somewhat decent discussion on this happening on ST.N.

Jill, the only time the passenger has to have an 'M' endorsement is if the driver has had their 'M' endorsement less than two years. It's obviously a reactionary law targeting young people on sport bikes. It's a stupid law imho, but I can understand why they are doing it. How many videos are out on the net of young kids doing extremely stupid stuff on sport bikes?

Thanks for that clarification, Skooter. Interesting discussion on STN, as you said.

Clicky here. (link to discussion)

So they have 5 different kinds of motorcycles, but only one of them is actually defined, and part of the definition is that it's not one of the other four kinds, which are not specifically defined.

Amazing.

The news article does not mention his licensing status, but one wonders what difference his licensing status would have made to the vehicle that crossed his path, forcing him off the road according to the article.

Perfectly stated SkooterG.

In some cases you have to wonder if it might not be a good idea. Where would this passenger carry her M class? :unsure:

world-s-favorite-mot_460x0w.jpg
..same place she keeps her credit cards?

sorry, had to..

What a BS law. Makes me want to get a temp Tx address so I can raise a real ruckus.

..so much for the "Don't tread on me' mentality we used to have.

Man I hope the girl with the "somewhat inadequate protective clothing" doesn't tip her right foot back. That's gonna hurt!

If this fly's in Texas...who's next?!

please please please let's let this one go

the law did not pass and there are no plans to ever resurrect it

I know the parents of Malorie and you can imagine the pain...even 22 mo's after her tragic death

thanx

Mike