Side Stand Options when Lowering the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcycl

Reaction score
Just received Soupy's lowering links in the mail today. Got to thinking, what is the best method for handling the side stand if it is too long? I've read about folks grinding down some part of it to work. Is there a link or post on how to accomplish this? Or, is everyone buying new shorter kick stands?

Thanks for any help!

Some folks have ground a little bit off of the stop on the sidestand so that it can open further forward. I'm not sure you can get enough off to make up for lowering links. There is also a thread or two with pictures from someone who cut a piece out of the sidestand and welded it back together, effectively shortening it overall.

How much are you lowering?

I have Kouba Links on mine which drop it about .75 as I understand it. No mods to my kickstand either.

How much are you lowering?

I have Kouba Links on mine which drop it about .75 as I understand it. No mods to my kickstand either.
That I'm not sure of yet. Right now, I have barely tippy-toes on both sides touching at once. I have a 28.5in inseam. But, I have a Penske shock on it (came with it) and a Rick Mayer saddle coming. I think the saddle will end up raising me a 1/4 to 1/2in I'm afraid. My hopes is to lower it as little as possible.

My goal is to lower it enough so that I can sit on the bike and back it up. I could barely do that with my VFR and can't do it at all w/ the FJR.

Just received Soupy's lowering links in the mail today. Got to thinking, what is the best method for handling the side stand if it is too long? I've read about folks grinding down some part of it to work. Is there a link or post on how to accomplish this? Or, is everyone buying new shorter kick stands?

Thanks for any help!
Aloha,

I lowered my 2004 FJR with soupys links yesterday. I also purchased his side stand, didn't want to mess with cutting & welding the original stand. I went for a 200 mile ride today and loved every minute of it........This is the first time i have ever been able to stand flat footed.

The bike is like a tamed beast. I should have done this the first day i purchased the bike, instead i purchased boots with 4" inserts (anyone want any #9 tall man boots?)

Piko

Aloha,

I lowered my 2004 FJR with soupys links yesterday. I also purchased his side stand, didn't want to mess with cutting & welding the original stand. I went for a 200 mile ride today and loved every minute of it........This is the first time i have ever been able to stand flat footed.

The bike is like a tamed beast. I should have done this the first day i purchased the bike, instead i purchased boots with 4" inserts (anyone want any #9 tall man boots?)

Piko

How do you like the Soupy side stand? I'm worried about the way it's put together (two piece design with an effective pivot-point right in the middle of it). It seems to me that the weakest point in the design is right in the middle.

I used same lowerig links. FYI I am thrilled with results. I then put bike on center stand took kick to local welding shop and for 40 dollars they cut out one inch of the stock kick, fyi I lowered FJR 1.5 inches with links. They also welded a larger pad on bottom. The bike has plenty of lean with new kick and larger plate makes it even better then stock. Plus 40 versus 150 for shorter kick better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also tell you a properly welded kick wll be as strong as the orginal. Plus when at it you can enlarge the pad that makes contact with the ground. There have been posts where people here say their kick sank on a hot day into thte pavement. My new pad is over twice size of old pad no more pavement issues. If you want I can send you pick of kick and lean angle so you can decide how much you want taken out of your kick just let me know .

Yes, Please do load some photos of your mod for links and for the sidestand also. Just purchased 2008 FJR and want to be able to flat foot it for backing up purposes and also to securely hold the FJR steady when my passenger mounts and dismounts the bike. Thanks from Frank.

Sorry have had no chance to post pics yet will post pics thursday I'm off so I can get bike out of garage so you can see it. FYI I dropped bike 1.5 inches with lowering links and had one inch cut our of kick. I had a metal shop cut out section on kick from bottom up one inch then reweld larger pad on it. All I had to do is paint it. And no I do not have any friends in a metal shop I just googled one caled and then did it for me it was 40 or 50 total but still way less then buying new kick and I think it looks great. You can decide when I post pics thursday k

If you are worried about lean angle you can have a friedn lean bike when you measure amount you need cut off kickstand. One last thing after I got my new kick back I noticed they had pad at slight up angle. I was afriad flattening it by hitting it with a hammer would damage it so I called them. They offered to reweld it for free but advised me the weld was stronger then the metal and I would not be able to damage it with a few hits from a hammer. Needless to say I hammered it flat, now perfect. Have who ever you use to weld it check current angle before installing new pad k.

okay I can not seem to figure out how to post pics I have them send me an email and I will reply with them or tell me how to post on this site I will continue to try until then

Posting Photos

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

DSC03868.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

DSC03868.jpg
test okay I think I figured it out thanks. Hope the pics are good enough to see the mc lean and the larger pad