Air induction system removal alternative

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mferriter

Occasionally trying to get work done
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install shut-off valves in the plumbing instead of pulling it all out? That way you can close them off and re-open them before any sort of emissions inspection that might catch it.

Something like this:

46555k27p1l.png

The only problem is that if it doesn't work, you cut all of your tubes to install them.

You might only need one on the inlet side, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great idea and it should work fine. I'm pretty positive the bike would pass a general emissions test even with the whole system removed, luckily we don't have any of that liberal annual emissions crap yet here in MN.

Does anyone know the internal diameter of the PAIR tubing off the tops of their heads?

Does anyone know the internal diameter of the PAIR tubing off the tops of their heads?
Looks like a bit over a 1/2"....

But it sure seems like it would be easier to just plug it, and reinstall when inspection time comes around. The main reason I removed mine, was to lessen the clutter around there. Why add to it?

Since the air injection only works on a cold engine, it's pretty pointless to disable it with a valve. Sure, you'll eliminate the burbling on over-run when cold, but as stated, the main reason to remove the system is to clean up the top of the motor, make everything more accessible.

Just bought a 2006 and while changing the plugs I found that the entire air induction system has been removed. Bike runs fine and see no obvious issues. Are there any long term issues to worry about? Bike has 16K on it.

Holy zombie thread!!!!!

Lots and lots of folks are running with the ports capped off and the stuff removed. Nobody's blamed it for any dead motors, yet. :)

86K on mine and she runs like a raped banshee. Never could figure out what a raped banshee was but it sounds good.

Dave

Take the hoses and solenoid off. Clean out the metal tubes and epoxy / RTV an orange wire nut in each metal pipe.

Done, no bad effects.