Two rides, one report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Ride report from the photographically challenged:

Wheaton weekend-Thanks to Big B and all who helped organize. I wish I had remembered my camera. I made a ride out of getting there on Thursday. Via points included Walhalla, Highlands, Dillard, Clayton, Lake Burton (where, if I'd brought the camera I would've taken pics of the tornado damage), Helen, Suches, Morganton and then to Murphy. Friday-Rode the Cherohala with El Toro Joe, Powerman and company until I got carried away and separated myself from the group ( the fjr that I chased, thinking he was leading our group, turned out to be unconnected with the Wheaton weekend group-talk about an awkward conversation). My sincere apologies for any trouble or lost time that I caused the group. I have always wanted to ride the Cades Cove loop through GSMNP. I figured now that I'm solo, and the weather was less than perfect, and it was a work day, and school day, I would be able to cruise right through. So I turned north on the Dragon.

Mooching photos from commercial vendors now:

If this truck had been driven like the flatbed wrecker hauling a suv that we followed up Hwy 68 was, the ride up 129 would have been good.

DRAGON TRAFFIC

[/url]Three Wheaton Weekenders in one pic if I'm not mistaken. I'd be buying this one if it was me and my son in the same pic.

MORE DRAGON TRAFFIC

I had the Foothills Parkway all to myself. Encouraging. I turned down 73 into the park WTF! How can this place be bumper to bumper traffic on a work and school day? It's 64 degrees and I've even run through a few sprinkles. And there are people swimming in the river. Man that's got to be cold. Wish I had remembered my camera. I bailed on the Cades Cove idea and tried to escape the park asap. 441 through Cherokee-Yippee.

Back at Crawford's it should've been dinner, socializing and another night sleeping by the babbling brook BUT I'm married…with children…and pets-big pets. So it's time to strike camp and haul ass back to the house.

Mrs. 1911 and the youngest daughter can handle going to the horse shows by themselves, but I'm still nervous about them riding all over in a 14 year old truck with someone else's horse.

Saturday morning- Big pet, not mine:

PATCH010.jpg

Youngest daughter is training and showing this fellow to make him more marketable for his owners. Nobody believes me when I say that a left side photo in a Craigslist add in the heart of NASCAR country will be the best marketing strategy.*

Memorial day-THANK YOU VETS!

The Empire Strikes -Balloons dropping in on Freedom Weekend Aloft

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE001.jpg

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE002.jpg

The sound of the burners coming through my wife's intercom mike makes it sound like Darth Vader is my pillion

Hwy 215 waterfall break

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE006.jpg

The livestock around here are shortlegged on one side

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE007.jpg

Yea, though I ride through the valley

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE012.jpg

Don't overshoot this turn

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE017.jpg

Sergeant York was all over the tv this weekend so I was hungry for a little slice of Tennessee. There were a lot of flags out this weekend, but the only one that I noticed at half mast was in front of a residence outside of Rocky Fork. Wish I had taken a pic.

Maybe if I give the camera to Mrs 1911 she can take pics while we're riding. It's easy hun, just point and push this button

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE018.jpg

Pensacola Valley-or whatever they call the valley that NC197 runs through

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE020.jpg

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE021.jpg

Hwy 197 running through somebody's yard

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE023.jpg

NC197, we were just down there? (pics from moving bike are better than no pics at all)

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE027.jpg

Up to Craggy Gardens

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE029.jpg

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE034.jpg

BRP

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE040.jpg

Chimney Rock-could easily been named something else

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE048.jpg

Lake Adger

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE049.jpg

Hey Hun, get me a pic of those girls in bikinis tubing down Green River…Yeh, right, here's your pic

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE053.jpg

Green River Valley

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE054.jpg

Hold the camera over my shoulder and video this ride up this twisty ass road

https://s539.photobucket.com/albums/ff352/FLINCHIST/?action=view&current=MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE060.mp4Clicking hear will make you appreciate all of those hard mounted camera, pro quality, soundtracked videos that others post

Visit with vet

MEMORIALDAY2011RIDE058.jpg

THANKS AGAIN VETS

*Dale Earnhardt #3-Big #3 on side of horse

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report...glad you had a good time. It was nice to meet you last year...hope to see you at EOM or next year's Wheaty camping event up towards Hicktucky/WV/VA parts.