First Thursday in Minneapolis

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwollenRaccoon

Reaction score
"First Thursday" is a gathering of motorcyclists at Dulono's Pizza in Minneapolis. As the name implies, the event takes place on the first Thursday of every month. It's a "non-denominational" event, so anything on 2 (or even 3) wheels is welcome. There are usually lots of European classics, along with older Japanese and American iron, as well as some very well-turned-out homemade rides. Four or five years ago, a guy showed up on a home-built bike, powered by a Kubota 3-cylinder diesel, with hydraulic final drive. How's that for rare?

Last Thursday was the First Thursday of June, 2011, and the mix was as diverse as usual. Some of the bikes I didn't get a picture of......first-generation V-Max with turbocharger, several boosted Hayabusas and ZX-14s, some with nitrous, to boot, a beautiful Suzuki GT750 water buffalo, a nice Kenny Roberts edition RZ350, and many various old classics, too many to remember.

Marc (Gramps, here on the forum) was kind enough to meet me partway, and lead the way to downtown Minneapolis from the south. There, we later met up with Matt, and talked about FJRs, speeding tickets, and whether the former soviet-bloc eastern European countries have the fiscal experience to endure the unpredictable ups-and-downs of the global free market commodities exchange. Or maybe something less complex. On to the photos!

Here's Marc (Gramps) in the middle, with Matt on the right. (Sorry, I forgot the gentleman's name on the left....ST1300 rider, right guys?)

20110602-10.jpg

A pretty old Kawi Z1.

20110602-9.jpg

A neat first-generation Gold Wing. Check out the cool bike behind it. I should have gotten a better picture of it. Old Honda 750 Four. It has a cool, factory-looking emblem that says "836 Four". Both as clean as new.

20110602-2.jpg

An old Norton racer.

20110602-8.jpg

20110602-1.jpg

I'm not smart enough to identify this. It was taking a leak on the pavement.

20110602-7.jpg

I'm not into trikes, but the workmanship on this was impressive. Powered by a V-twin Honda.

20110602-4.jpg

20110602-3.jpg

I love the classic color scheme on this anniversary-edition VFR.

20110602-5.jpg

A pretty Monster.

20110602-6.jpg

Thanks to Marc for meeting me there, and sharing the evening. Weather permitting, I will probably make it up there next month, too. I hope to see some of you Friday morning in Wabasha!

I didn't realized you took that many pictures. Great shots!! Especially that old Gold Wing...I wonder if I could make mine look that good. :dribble:

That was a fun evening, glad you made it up my friend.

That looks pretty cool...I've never been a Kawi owner, but that old Z1 looks pretty cool. :clapping:

I see Marc looks as intelligient as ever... :rolleyes: ...

:lol:

"First Thursday"I'm not smart enough to identify this. It was taking a leak on the pavement.
20110602-7.jpg
'40s/'50s BSA M20/M21 -- 500cc/600cc flat-head single (M20 = 13HP, top speed = 55 MPH)

Gear box usually filled with grease (as opposed to gear-lube) -- much neater...

I once went to look at one I heard of tucked-away in the corner of a guy's garage -- when I asked if he'd be interested in selling it, he answered: "I'm keeping it for my kid -- when he gets older he'll want to ride it."

Years later I chanced to meet him again and asked about the BSA. He said his, then, teen rode it once down the road and that was it -- wasn't interested.

Just don't understand..., what's wrong with 40/45MPH cruising...? :huh: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: