March / June 2012 trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
June 2012 is our 40th Wedding Anniversary :yahoo: . We've got United Frequent Flier miles and wanta explore Australia. We thinking of coming over sometime between March and June. We have time-share rooms available in 7 day increments we can use.

I've never been to Australia, my wife was in in Sidney and Melbourne for 2 weeks 20 years ago on a business trip. We thinking about exploring on motorcycles, not a car, a combination of the "typical" tourist place and things off the beating path (preferred).

Please PM me if you can give us some recommendations on places to go and were to find bikes. She rides a Vstar 1300 and I'm on a '07 FJR.

TIA,

Roy

Hi Roy,

I have only just seen your post. June may not be the best time to tour downunder, it is winter then. I am on the other side of the country from Melbourne and Sydney. That is about 2,500 miles. So I will not be much help in regards to recommendations. Try our Australian FJR Forum at

https://www.forum.fjr13.org/. I am sure some of our Eastern States members will have ideas for you.

Best regards

Surly

I spent 6 months there riding most of the place. June would not be my idea of the best time to go, cold in the south and wet in the north. The place is great riding though as 10 mi. out of any city you are pretty much alone on the road. A normal days riding for my I'd see 8 or 10 other people on the road. If you are riding Queensland watch out for the "RoadTrains" ie large trucks with 3-5 trailers and the roads are the worse in all of OZ.

Have a great time.

Roadtrip

This website will give you lots of good info if you are going to cross OZ. These people are friends I made when I was riding there. Good luck and have fun. The people are wonderful and went out of there way to help me. be sure to read the 2011 updated version .www.nullaboys.com.

After reading it if you need more information PM me and I'll get you in contact with them.

Roadtrip

Sorry, Roy. You're too late. June 2012 was five months ago. I think you should reschedule your trip for June, 2013. Maybe the airlines will give you part credit or something.

Sounds like it'll be a hell of a trip though. Happy anniversary!

um, edit: Didn't see your original post date was last year. Guess it got resurrected and I missed it. I'm blaming the forum upgrade--the dates didn't show when I posted. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: