CFO rally accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Bones

Reaction score
I got to CFO late Thursday night about 10:30pm and didn't get a chance to check in. After wandering around I found Bust and a friend outside and talked to them for 20 minutes. Eventually we went our ways and I went to bed to get ready for the rally, my first.

I checked in at 7:30am as required and got to talk to pathfinder for awhile about his travels. After being released at 8:00am I led the group out of the parking lot and the rally was ON!

I got a good laugh out of the rally "towel", but already had the right stuff to adapt to it. During the rally I enjoyed seeing the sights Rick had offered and was getting the hang of following the GPS route I had made (a first for me). After leaving Trinity Cemetery I was on my way to the next point when it happened.

I don't have any details as I am writing this from the hospital, which i haven't left yet.

I was entering a corner on a rural road sweeping left. I had checked my odometer just prior to the curve at 40mph, I remember 35mph was posted. As I leaned the bike into the curve the back end broke loose on some wetness remaining on the road. Instinctively I got the bike upright and saved the fall only to run out of real estate as I drove thru the corner. I rode the bike off the road and into the farmers field 15-20 ft below. I remember bracing for impact as I approached the electric fence and the culvert became more vertical. I remember picking myself up off the ground after, and taking my hemet off because I couldn't breathe and seemed disoriented. I stumbled over to the bike and knealt beside it wondering how I could right it with the mangled front wheel and the pain I was starting to notice. I thought I should turn the bike off incase of a gas leak, and might as well take my phone off the mount. I heard a farmer talking to his wife as they got ready to drive away shopping. Noticing I was in the middle of nowhere with some severe difficulties breathing I carefully drew my breath and yelled ,"hey!!". The farmer heard me ( god bless those 2 hearing me) and told the wife to call 911 immediately. He wandered over to me and prevented me from getting up. By now I was collapsing sideways from the pain and gingerly laid down.

EMS was quick and I was onto the board and hospital in Mauston WI. 4CT's determined that I had a fractured left scapula, and T1,2,3,4,7,8,9 ribs on the left were broken, all in multiple places and some were nasty. Those in turn punctured my left lung and collapsed it. I also had a grade 4 spleen laceration and was bleeding profusely internally. A flight for life was needed but it was poor weather and the copter couldn't go. I got a 1 hourish ride into Madison WI to the UW-Madison TLC center also known as a level 1 ICU. I remained on watch for spleen removal for several days until being moved last night up to the normal trauma surgery floor.

I found out today that I have a torn rotator left cuff and a compound separation of the A/C joint.

I don't know when I'll be released but here's some details, more to come later.

I was wearing full gear head to toe, it saved my life they say.

I left the bike highside and probable landed on my head then shoulder then scapula, then each rib as I splayed down into the ground, causing me to crush th bones and organs.

I was not driving wrecklessly.

I was not drunk.

I did not engage in excessive speed.

I saved the initial accident.

I have driven 10,000 miles on that bike since I bought it in10/09.

I have driven to South Dakota and Tennessee on weekend trips with no problems, I consider myself to be travel proficient.

My initial thoughts are that accidents can happen to anyone, at any time. I never got to meet anyone from the forum, which was my whole desire for months. I wanted to talk to airboss about his big trip and meet a darksider!

More to come later!

I got to CFO late Thursday night about 10:30pm and didn't get a chance to check in. After wandering around I found Bust and a friend outside and talked to them for 20 minutes. Eventually we went our ways and I went to bed to get ready for the rally, my first.

I checked in at 7:30am as required and got to talk to pathfinder for awhile about his travels. After being released at 8:00am I led the group out of the parking lot and the rally was ON!

I got a good laugh out of the rally "towel", but already had the right stuff to adapt to it. During the rally I enjoyed seeing the sights Rick had offered and was getting the hang of following the GPS route I had made (a first for me). After leaving Trinity Cemetery I was on my way to the next point when it happened.

I don't have any details as I am writing this from the hospital, which i haven't left yet.

I was entering a corner on a rural road sweeping left. I had checked my odometer just prior to the curve at 40mph, I remember 35mph was posted. As I leaned the bike into the curve the back end broke loose on some wetness remaining on the road. Instinctively I got the bike upright and saved the fall only to run out of real estate as I drove thru the corner. I rode the bike off the road and into the farmers field 15-20 ft below. I remember bracing for impact as I approached the electric fence and the culvert became more vertical. I remember picking myself up off the ground after, and taking my hemet off because I couldn't breathe and seemed disoriented. I stumbled over to the bike and knealt beside it wondering how I could right it with the mangled front wheel and the pain I was starting to notice. I thought I should turn the bike off incase of a gas leak, and might as well take my phone off the mount. I heard a farmer talking to his wife as they got ready to drive away shopping. Noticing I was in the middle of nowhere with some severe difficulties breathing I carefully drew my breath and yelled ,"hey!!". The farmer heard me ( god bless those 2 hearing me) and told the wife to call 911 immediately. He wandered over to me and prevented me from getting up. By now I was collapsing sideways from the pain and gingerly laid down.

EMS was quick and I was onto the board and hospital in Mauston WI. 4CT's determined that I had a fractured left scapula, and T1,2,3,4,7,8,9 ribs on the left were broken, all in multiple places and some were nasty. Those in turn punctured my left lung and collapsed it. I also had a grade 4 spleen laceration and was bleeding profusely internally. A flight for life was needed but it was poor weather and the copter couldn't go. I got a 1 hourish ride into Madison WI to the UW-Madison TLC center also known as a level 1 ICU. I remained on watch for spleen removal for several days until being moved last night up to the normal trauma surgery floor.

I found out today that I have a torn rotator left cuff and a compound separation of the A/C joint.

I don't know when I'll be released but here's some details, more to come later.

I was wearing full gear head to toe, it saved my life they say.

I left the bike highside and probable landed on my head then shoulder then scapula, then each rib as I splayed down into the ground, causing me to crush th bones and organs.

I was not driving wrecklessly.

I was not drunk.

I did not engage in excessive speed.

I saved the initial accident.

I have driven 10,000 miles on that bike since I bought it in10/09.

I have driven to South Dakota and Tennessee on weekend trips with no problems, I consider myself to be travel proficient.

My initial thoughts are that accidents can happen to anyone, at any time. I never got to meet anyone from the forum, which was my whole desire for months. I wanted to talk to airboss about his big trip and meet a darksider!

More to come later!
Holy Crap! That sounds like your whole body went through a concrete mixer or something. Seems really lucky that someone was nearby to hear your trouble cause it sounds like you would have been in serious trouble with the severity of your injuries, especially the internal bleeding.

Good luck in your recovery - CFO 2012 or bust!!!

Ugh!!! What a way to start a rally. Really sorry to hear about this, but is a good reminder that one can be doing everything right and still have things not go our way. Hope you mend quickly, keep your spirits up and keep all posted as to how you are doing. Adding insult to injury, you were on a beloved Gen I..... hope you can fix it when you're back moving around.

Damn, Doc! Glad you are not more seriously hurt and thank God for ATGATT!! What you've siad is absolutely so true...... that we can do everything seemingly right, but karma can still get the best of us. It sort of underscores the unsaid, inherent dangers of our sport.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, but you're gonna be a hurtin pup for a while. You're lucky with the flailed chest that the farmer was there. Time would NOT have been on your side.

Hope you heal well and can get back to riding.

Damn... :(

Thank God you are still with us, And well enough to post up and tell this horrible story.

Heal fast man.

I was only in LaCrosse for a little while Saturday morning, so I would have missed you anyway, but I'm glad you're going to be OK. Follow your doctor's orders, and I hope to meet you at next year's CFO. Heal well.

Dang, that is one nasty get off. Good to hear that you were in gear. Sometimes you just never know when and how you are going to fall. Reading this I am thanking my lucky star that I walked away from my crash last year going straight line.

Heal up and CFO2012 we can share stories.

Dr. Bones,

Well I guess I was one of the few who had the pleasure meeting you. Was it something I said? :eek:

So sorry to hear of your mishap, but it is great to read this and know that you will live to ride

another day. Crashes suck, and we had another the day after the rally. I wish for you a complete

recovery. Keep your spirits up and keep us informed on your healing.

When me &the others, that didn't compete in the Rally, heard that the front desk was looking for Rick & it was from a hospital, I think our collective hearts all sank anticipating the worst for one of our own. It was a huge relief to hear that you were going to okay when Rick gave us the report on your condition. I hope you have a speedy recovery & are able to get back for another CFO in the future. Keep us updated on your progress.

Sorry to hear about your get-off, Doc. We've all been concerned since Rick told us the news upon our return Friday. So very glad you had assistance right there when you needed it. Hope you heal quickly and fully, and that you'll be back at CFO next year.

Sorry to hear about this crash. I guess it could have been worse, but it sounds like you landed pretty hard. Glad you're healing and I hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Holy fucking dog shit, Doc! That's just no good at all..... and as if 7 broken ribs weren't enough, that torn rotator cuff and a compound separation of the A/C joint is just salt in the wounds! :unsure:

My initial thoughts are that accidents can happen to anyone, at any time.
Absolutely, positively correct.

As bad as it was..... I am glad you are here to type out this report.

Damnation. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap. You really didn't have to live up to your handle, Dr. Bones. ;)

Oops, sorry, way to early to start telling jokes, my bad.

I wish you the best pain meds and fastest healing time possible, Dr B.

Holy crapola!!

Man oh man but this sounds eerily reminiscent of extrememarine's get-off a few years back.

Glad the farmer and his wife were there to help ya! Put 'em on your Christmas card list.

Glad that you're here to tell the tale. Take the time to let your body heal, and listen to them there doctors - some of 'em actually know what they're talking about!

Speedy recovery...you are so right, these incidents come at you in a blink of an eye, no matter how proficient you are

Willie

County road, wet, could put this one down as Amish Exhaust, that "sh*t" gets mighty slick when it gets wet.

Glad to see your on the road to recovery and posting up.

As for the California trip stories give them a year to mature and grow, they'll be even better at CFO next year. ;)