FJRF009.1: Intermittent Ground Wire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotecredneck

Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE: This is the second in a line of threads related to ground spider issues. The first was characterization of the issue here, this thread where a recall is planned, and when an actual recall is formalized a third and final thread will be made.

---

Just got this notice................

Intent to Recall 2006~2009 FJR13A/AE Models

Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor

vehicle safety exists in 2006~2009 FJR13A/AE model motorcycles. In affected

motorcycles, the ground joint connector of the wire harness could overheat and become

deformed, possibly causing an intermittent ground wire connection. If the electrical

system is not properly grounded, the ignition system and/or other electrical components

could malfunction, which could cause the engine to stall. If this happens while the

motorcycle is being ridden, there could be a crash resulting in injury or death.

Yamaha intends to recall these motorcycles for a modification of the electrical system. A

Technical Bulletin with all necessary information will be provided in the near future.

Until then, please suspend sale of any 2006~2009 FJR13A/AE motorcycles in your

inventory.

As with all safety recall campaigns, Yamaha will be notifying all registered owners of

affected units by mail.

Will have more details as they make them available.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about freaking time.

But, did they redesign the 2010/2011 harnesses to eliminate the spiders? If so, then their delay is even more insidious.

Props . . . . my eye!!!

It will be interesting to see how they address the problem. Glad to see them finally get off their butts and do something though. Reminds me of the FZ6 TPS problem that eventually made it to recall status after much prodding (former FZ6 owner here, lol).

But, did they redesign the 2010/2011 harnesses to eliminate the spiders? If so, then their delay is even more insidious.
Most likely not enough reported cases to cover those years.
The recall is to correct a design defect . . . if they've made no changes and don't recall those machines as well then it would be irresponsible. . . . I will discuss this with my TC contact and find out what the corporate position is.

Oh . . . and to echo what I posted in the 'official' thread; I hope their fix resolves the issues in the nacelle harness as well.

This is a copy of what I posted in the almost 30 page spider bite thread.

The good news is that it appears that Yamaha is getting ready to recall 2006-2009 machines for the spider issue...One item of note that I find interesting is that as of last week Yamaha Canada was supposedly still looking to collect wiring harnesses for investigation - yet they have a fix in the US?
I don't know if it is coincidence or not but BkrK12 and I met with a representative from the NHTSA a few weeks ago and together we walked the agent through a FACTUAL tour of the problem. We had a fairly long meeting with him, pictures were taken, a live hands-on exploration took place, we had a short schematic reading and lead a tour of the spider wires. The agent said that when he submits his reports to Yamaha, Yamaha usually responds quickly. If the tech blurb is true, it doesn't talk about a fix but does serve notice for action to be taken soon and offers short term action to be taken by dealers; not a fix but a containment and control measure.

Until then, please suspend sale of any 2006~2009 FJR13A/AE motorcycles in your inventory.
Oh . . . and to echo what I posted in the 'official' thread; I hope their fix resolves the issues in the nacelle harness as well.
If this action from Yamaha is driven by the NHTSA agent then Yamaha knows about the ground harnesses in the nacelle too. We took the time to explore the differences between the 'dirty' ground scheme and the 'clean' reference voltage grounding. We were specific about ground connectors in the nacelle too. We left the agent with documentation on all grounding connectors in the FJR.

Yes, it took them way too long, but, better late than never. Thankfully, they have finally gotten around to this, especially as they seemed to have fixed the issue on the 2010 models.

I wonder what their fix will be?

Anybody know of any reliable shops in Central TX? I'm very hesitant to have this recall done, because it would mean replacing the harness. This wouldn't be a quick job, and I hate having any shop touch my vehicles. My experience in the past, is you take your vehicle in to get worked on, and you get it back with more problems. Scratches, grease marks on your headliner, new mechanical problems, etc. So does anybody really have a good Yamamama shop in Central TX that they trust?

Lucas

+1 on what Lucas said... this is no easy fix is it? lots of tupperware has to come off? (maybe best to take it off yourself before bringing to shop?), lots of work has to be done... maybe they could come up with a diy kit and some instructions? If they provided that I'd prob go that way.

Yes, it took them way too long, but, better late than never. Thankfully, they have finally gotten around to this, especially as they seemed to have fixed the issue on the 2010 models.

I wonder what their fix will be?
As long as it took Yamaha, it's a hell of a lot quicker than BMW's response to their FDs & sucky whizzy brakes!

I KNEW they'd do a recall if I bought the roadrunner ground harnesses! I KNEW it! You guys don't have to thank me...really!

...I'm very hesitant to have this recall done, because it would mean replacing the harness. This wouldn't be a quick job...
+1 on what Lucas said... this is no easy fix is it? lots of tupperware has to come off... maybe they could come up with a diy kit and some instructions?...
Don't get any personal body parts in a knot over this yet. Everything is just speculation until we see Yamaha's solution. I would expect the fix to be as simple and cost effective as possible yet still be permanent. Since this is a SAFETY recall I would expect this to be a dealer job due to liabilities.

I don't believe anybody knows the actual root cause of the melt-downs or why it does not affect 100% of the FJRs (so far). I would expect Yamaha to do what ever is necessary to fix the root cause, which often isn't where the symptoms show up. Doctor, doctor, I've got this terrible sore throat, congested lungs and a runny nose. The doctor can prescribe a decongestant and throat lozenges to treat the symptoms, yet you will remain sick. Or the doctor can hit ya up with some penicillin and cure you so the symptoms are no longer present. I expect Yamaha to bring it with electrical penicillin. The fix may be as simple as the Brodie/Road Runner type harness or as unexpected as rewiring the ground terminal on the starter relay.

Yamaha should hire Brodie and his team as a Tech Reps in support of this recall. His harnesses are awesome... My bike runs so sweet after the install. I hope that Yamaha doesn't rip it out to honor the recall notice.

I would not get all your hopes up so quick I met with NHTSA member over my M109 Suzuki. The rear rotor was lose and if effected breaking. They issued a report to Suzuki stating this could be a safety defect. Suzuki never issued recall they changed the part on all new models and had dealers replace any defective ones people brought in to complain about but never actually stated the part was defective. There were memebers on that board that actually were involved with crashes that might have related to issue and still NO recall. Since then I beleive NHTSA is all bark NO bite! I hope Yamaha does the right thing but some of you may be getting fixes little by little without an official recall. With that said my guess is if they are not mentioning 2010 and beyond they proabbaly already changed the parts with no mention of it. See if they mention it they might be seen as admitting there was a problem in the first place. To be honest the only reason I think Suzuki changed the part was because a memeber in LA was a lawyer and filed an intent to sue them if they did not do something..they fixed his bike no law suit and then part changes without a mention to anyone. Typical business as usual bottom line first customers safety second.

Again though, even something as simple as a Brodie harness is going to be a lot of work for the average Yamamama tech. I just don't have enough trust in shops to fix my bike without screwing something else up. It all boils down to lack of care for other peoples belongings. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see what the "fix" is going to be. Until then, i'll just keep riding the piss out of my FJR.

Lucas

Adding to what Alan (Ionbeam) said, the NHTSA rep is a very knowledgeable and capable person. I actually have confidence that he will follow this up and make sure the Yamaha fix either rectifies the root cause or renders it irrelevant. We've waited a while. A little more patience isn't going to hurt.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.