Indicator failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

Reaction score
Hi All.

My front nearside indicator and the corresponding dash indicator both stopped working last night.

The rear indicator flashes at twice the normal rate - I've checked the front bulb and it's fine and I've confirmed there's no power to it.

Before I strip the front end down to get to the dashboard to check/replace the indicator bulb is there anything else I should check (surely if this failed the front indicator itself would still work)?

The hazard lights work fine on the off-side, but on the near-side only the rear bulb flashes (at the normal rate!).

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

The side indicator light would still work even if the dash light were burned out.

Since the dash indicator lamp is out, the front side indicator is out, the turn signal switch is working (the rear indicator lamp works) and the Hazard switch works the problem has to be a connector or broken wire.

You should be able to lay on the ground and using a torch look up between the radiator and the fairing, you should be able to see the connector for the side indicator. Is it plugged in? ;) If it is plugged in and there is no flashing power on the dark green or dark red wire (not sure which colour it is on the bad side) you are looking for a bad connector or broken wire. Do take the time to confirm that the black ground wire is indeed grounded. Your choice, either start at the turn signal switch on the handlebars and trace the wires or start at the faring and start tracing. Either way I suspect that you will be pulling off lots of plastic and perhaps lifting the petrol tank too.

I am aware of several Gen I electrical systems that have had the copper wire break inside the wire's insulation giving no visual clue that the internal wire was broken. Two of the broken wires happened within an inch or two of the connector. Which is a warning that you may have to use a meter to diagnose this problem. Assuming that the fault isn't the previously mentioned connector being unplugged.

Thanks. It's started working again this morning so must be a dodgy connector or broken wire. I've already had the connector off the bulb in the fairing and had established that there was no power on the socket. I wondered what the common factor might be between the front indicator and the dash panel indicator (as the rear was working the front two must have something in common!).

Anyway it's working now and my philosophy is to not try and fix what's working, but I'm sure it will recur in the not too distant future!

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Mark

There is a short wiring harness between the bulb socket and the main harness. This is where the wires break, or become damaged when people are pulling the fairing off. I had one of the wires break right at the plug years ago and repaired it, but it failed again and I repaired it once more. At that point, I realized that the harness is CHEAP and just ordered a new one. This sub lead has plugs on both ends and is a simple swap.

P/N - 5VS-82509-00-00 Wire, Sub Lead $9.99 (Parts Shark price was $5.48)