Throttle roll seems very stiff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderdawg

Reaction score
As I am new to the FJR forums I have not found specific information about the throttle roll. I ride an older Yamaha XJ 900 Seca all the time and I just recently bought a used but well maintained 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A. It just seems to me that the throttle roll on my FJR is very still as compared to the throttle roll on my old XJ 900. My throttle hand gets to be very tire after only 25/30 miles of ride time. Do I need to look into perhaps lubricating the throttle cable or something?

P.S. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

W. D.

I never had that problem. I bought mine used and it's possible the prev. owner did the throttle spring mod, I dunno. But many find a Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster, or one of the many brands of throttle locks (I have a Vista Cruise) nice to have, too. Both are inexpensive.

I am down in Torrance and can show you how to release that spring anytime.

Send me a PM

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the miles, you may need to clean the throttle bodies. Dirty/sticky throttle bodies give exactly the same symptoms as a bad throttle cable.

Depending on the miles, you may need to clean the throttle bodies. Dirty/sticky throttle bodies give exactly the same symptoms as a bad throttle cable.
Thank you one and all for your in put, I really do appreciate it. This bike has just over 36k miles on her, but the previous owner was very detailed in the maintenance that he performed on it. I love this bike, and so far other than my right hand getting worn out I has been great.

Regards,

W. D.

I am down in Torrance and can show you how to release that spring anytime.

Send me a PM

R

Would be happy to have assistance in doing this adjustment. I tried to PM you, but I believe your in box is full. So perhaps you can send me some contact information and I will get into contact with you.

Regards,

W. D.

Fairlaner,

I just wanted to express my thanks one more time. I really do appreciate the assistance that you provide me earlier today. You sire are turely an asset to this forum. My drive home was much improve for the adjustment to the Throttle Body Spring. I would never have believed that it could be done so easily. Again, you have my thanks.

Regards,

W. D.

:yahoo:

I'm a little squeamish about doing the throttle spring unwind. I guess I'd like to read about the theory behind it first. Maybe you unwind it to make it less stiff (but will it make it so that you have to turn the throttle it even more to get the same speed? etc. are the questions I have).

Anyway, this is the first bike that I've gotten a sore right hand riding. Also, I've never ridden as far and as long as on this bike compared to the others -- it just loves to eat miles.

I ended up getting a "Go Cruise" throttle lock for $19.95 shipped. It's pretty simple and easy to install and it works. The only problem is that if you go uphill, the bike will slow down; if you go downhill, the bike will speed up -- so you have to adjust it as road conditions change. I tend to ride a lot of highway so it helps a lot and depending on the stretch of road, it can really help on the right hand fatigue. It's good to practice with it because if you don't pay attention, you will let go of the throttle and find that you don't slow down right away which can startle some folks. But it doesn't take long to get used to it.

I also wonder if there's an aftermarket throttle grip with a more aggressive cam. The one on the FJR requires you to turn the throttle quite a bit -- my R6 has a much shorter turn distance and if I've ridden the FJR for too many days in a row, I'll go to throttle blip on the R6 only to have the bike jerk forward because of too much blip.

Another thing I found to reduce fatigue is to pay attention to the tension you put on the right grip and ensure that you relax when you can. You don't want a tired hand hundreds of miles away from home.

Dennis

I thought the throttle on the FJR to be a little stout myself. I added a set of BMW grips (the stock grips sucked for me) and kept riding. After a few thousand miles I don't notice it anymore. I went through the same thing when I put a Mikuni carb on my HD. Lubing the throttle cable can be a big help and should be done on a regular basis.

I ended up getting a "Go Cruise" throttle lock for $19.95 shipped. It's pretty simple and easy to install and it works. The only problem is that if you go uphill, the bike will slow down; if you go downhill, the bike will speed up -- so you have to adjust it as road conditions change. I tend to ride a lot of highway so it helps a lot and depending on the stretch of road, it can really help on the right hand fatigue.
You sound like a great candidate for a real cruise control. I use and recommend the Audiovox (or whatever they call it now). Check the forum for tons of info.

I also wonder if there's an aftermarket throttle grip with a more aggressive cam. The one on the FJR requires you to turn the throttle quite a bit -- my R6 has a much shorter turn distance and if I've ridden the FJR for too many days in a row, I'll go to throttle blip on the R6 only to have the bike jerk forward because of too much blip.
You might check with the G2 folks. They make a replacement throttle tube for the FJR (not normally recommended for your year) but in your case you might be asking for a custom job, which they may also be able to take care of.

I'm a little squeamish about doing the throttle spring unwind. I guess I'd like to read about the theory behind it first....I also wonder if there's an aftermarket throttle grip with a more aggressive cam. The one on the FJR requires you to turn the throttle quite a bit...Another thing I found to reduce fatigue is to pay attention to the tension you put on the right grip and ensure that you relax when you can...
The throttle spring is to ensure that the throttle plates close completely when you turn loose of the throttle. There are two throttle springs plus a big honkin' spring in the Throttle Position Sensor all pulling on the throttle shaft. Unwinding the primary spring one turn only reduces the throttle return force and does not change rotation distance or rate.

...You sound like a great candidate for a real cruise control. I use and recommend the Audiovox (or whatever they call it now)...

I also wonder if there's an aftermarket throttle grip with a more aggressive cam...
You might check with the G2 folks. They make a replacement throttle tube for the FJR (not normally recommended for your year) but in your case you might be asking for a custom job, which they may also be able to take care of.
I agree, sounds like you would like a true cruise control. IMO, he hardest part of the cruise install is attaching to the throttle tab, everything else is just simple fiddling tasks to get it wired up and get the vacuum plumbed. Fred W knows how to uninstall a cruise and I know how to install a cruise.

About the G2 -- the world works in odd ways sometimes. The G2 throttle tube for the '06 and '07 has a raised ramp on the throttle cable pulley so that in the 2k rpm to 4k rpm range on the '06-'07 it fills in the non-concentric part of the throttle shaft pulley canceling it out making the throttle rotation 1:1 between wrist action and throttle plate response. If you were to put this same G2 on your '10 the ramp would make the wrist to throttle plate ratio faster than 1:1. In the 2k to 4k rpm range the G2 will indeed be a more aggressive cam on your '10. As dbx suggests, call G2 and see if they may have an even more aggressive throttle cam profile. You run the risk of making the throttle response too rapid leading to a death grip on the throttle for fine control and actually undo any benefits from unwinding the throttle spring.