A truely bad year in the LD community

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I was surprised that no one else had posted up about the tragic death of Dick Fish during the Good, Bad, Ugly rally.

I didn't know him, but knew the name from reading many of the reports about LD rallies. This has been a bad year for accidents.

I know a lot of long distance riders are posting their condolences on the LDRider list.

Truly another sad day for the LD community. We have had too many "sad" days this year with the deaths of several exceptionally experienced riders in what appear to be "freak" accidents that could happen to any one of us..... at any time. We all need to continue to be careful out there.... ATGATT.

From the Iron Butt forum:

Here is a copy of the LDRider report, from Mike Kneebone and Robert Torter.

I am saddened to report that Dick Fish, 70, of Cardston, Alberta,> Canada was killed early yesterday evening in a slow speed,

> multi-vehicle accident in Glacier National Park while participating

> in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly rally. Although details of the

> accident remain sketchy, the investigating officer called it a "freak

> accident" that did not involve speed, lack of rest (it happened only

> a few hours into the rally), or an animal. Riders on the scene said

> there was little damage to the motorcycle.

>

> Dick was one of the Iron Butt Association's most skilled and

> experienced riders. Perhaps his most significant accomplishment was

> a 21-day, record-setting ride from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on the Arctic

> Ocean to Ushuaia, Argentina, at the end of the road in South America.

> Dick was also an exceptional dirt bike rider and an expert mechanic

> --- a trait he would put to good use on his Iron Butt Rally

> rides. Also in memory of his close friend Jim Young, Dick devised

> and was the first rider to complete a stunning ride from Prudhoe Bay,

> Alaska to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Key West, Florida and Goose Bay,

> Labrador, and concluding in central Colorado. Fittingly, the ride

> has become known as the Ultimate North America Insanity.

>

> Dick's wife, Irene, is in safe hands with Lynda Lehman. As soon as

> arrangements have been made, we will send an update.

>

> Michael Kneebone and Robert Torter
Godspeed.

From the Iron Butt forum:

Here is a copy of the LDRider report, from Mike Kneebone and Robert Torter.

I am saddened to report that Dick Fish, 70, of Cardston, Alberta,> Canada was killed early yesterday evening in a slow speed,

> multi-vehicle accident in Glacier National Park while participating

> in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly rally. Although details of the

> accident remain sketchy, the investigating officer called it a "freak

> accident" that did not involve speed, lack of rest (it happened only

> a few hours into the rally), or an animal. Riders on the scene said

> there was little damage to the motorcycle.

>

> Dick was one of the Iron Butt Association's most skilled and

> experienced riders. Perhaps his most significant accomplishment was

> a 21-day, record-setting ride from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on the Arctic

> Ocean to Ushuaia, Argentina, at the end of the road in South America.

> Dick was also an exceptional dirt bike rider and an expert mechanic

> --- a trait he would put to good use on his Iron Butt Rally

> rides. Also in memory of his close friend Jim Young, Dick devised

> and was the first rider to complete a stunning ride from Prudhoe Bay,

> Alaska to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Key West, Florida and Goose Bay,

> Labrador, and concluding in central Colorado. Fittingly, the ride

> has become known as the Ultimate North America Insanity.

>

> Dick's wife, Irene, is in safe hands with Lynda Lehman. As soon as

> arrangements have been made, we will send an update.

>

> Michael Kneebone and Robert Torter
Godspeed.
Wow quite a list of accomplishments!

Rest in Peace Dick Fish.

Here's some information that I found at a local, Montana news site.

============================================================================================================

Alberta motorcyclist dies in Glacier National Park accident

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 1:03 PM by Glacier National Park

Richard Fish of Alberta has been identified as the motorcyclist who died in Glacier National Park on Saturday.

The accident happened at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Going-to-the-Sun Road, about 10 miles east of Lake McDonald Lodge, near the Logan Creek Comfort Station.

Fish, 70, was from Cardston, Alberta.

Fish was traveling east when he lost control of the bike and skidded into on-coming traffic.

Fish was pronounced dead at the scene.

No other injuries were reported.

The National Park Service is conducting an investigation, with assistance from the Flathead County Sheriff/Coroner's Office and the Montana Highway Patrol.

=================================================================================================================

DAMN.... I still remember seeing Ron Major sleeping, with his head laying on his tankbag while parked on the shoulder of I-10 near Beaumont, TX and then finding his ST1100 leaning against a guardrail on I-8 during the 1997 Iron Butt Rally.

Even though we are probably beating the odds by riding so many miles and, in all sorts of conditions, it's just horrible when another one of us runs out of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not personally know Dick Fish, but his name is certainly familiar from his LD accomplishments. it could have been anything that caused loss of control of the bike but not a lack of skill I imagine. Although anyone of us can have a tiny lapse in concentration or looking at GPS or anything else. The fact is that it doesn't matter what the cause was, we lost a great rider. But you know, if that were me, I'd far rather go out of this life that way than barely making it on a walker in a nursing home (yuk). So Dick, you went out doing what you love to do--bless you for that.

doctorj

r23.jpg

https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/ibr/2003/medals/23-1.html

Joe Z and I already discussed Fish's Fishy Finish during the inaugural NW Passage Rally. That was the rally where Joe offered up bonuses for pictures of animals that met some defined requirements. During the morning riders' meeting (out in the parking lot), Dick and a few others grilled Joe like he'd stolen the Hope Diamond. One classic (that may have been Dick) was if road kill counted (you can follow the logic). When Joe clarified that the animal had to be living to count, someone (probably NOT Dick if you know Dick's pre-rally game face) then asked, "What if it's still twitching?"

You can't make this stuff up.

Anecdote #1:

At the pre-ride meeting Dick was asking Torter about whether he cared if running down a closed road would look badly on Bob. Bob shrugged it wouldn't and I think Dick was planning to run the gate.

It wasn't until a local mentioned there were surveillance cameras and patrols on that road that Dick decided the long way around was possibly the smarter move.

Anecdote #1:

At the pre-ride meeting Dick was asking Torter about whether he cared if running down a closed road would look badly on Bob. Bob shrugged it wouldn't and I think Dick was planning to run the gate.

It wasn't until a local mentioned there were surveillance cameras and patrols on that road that Dick decided the long way around was possibly the smarter move.
I checked the trash cans that morning for empty spray cans and asked the local, Matt, if there was any possibility of a localized power outage. He said something about yellow-bellied marmots causing havoc every now and again.

I was surprised that no one else had posted up about the tragic death of Dick Fish during the Good, Bad, Ugly rally.
Still trying to process this one. These things are particularly rough for staff... Dick Fish was the Rider #1, the first rider I pointed to and sent out the gate at 05:00:00 last Saturday morning.

Dick Fish was also a good friend of mine. The very first Endurance event Dick ever participated in was a Cognoscente event... way back in May, 2000: "Dawg Eat Dawg". At the end of that event, I gave him a massive blast of shit for bringing what was an already worn rear tire on his bike - at the end of the event, little spiky steel hair strands were poking out throughout the entire circumference of the tire.

Thus, the creation of the "Dick Fish Rule": only bikes with fresh rear tires will be allowed to run any Cognoscente event.

The night before he died, he cornered me for half a hour to pick my brain over the merits of the FJR... he was helping to orchestrate a monster Trans-American ride of some flavor, and was vacillating between an FJR and a BMW GS. I could tell by the look in his eye he had another typical Dick Fish mega-adventure planned. Fookin 70-year old crusty bastard was a Force of Nature, always had a twinkle in his razor-sharp, clear eyes.

Here's some information that I found at a local, Montana news site.
Typical.... the newspaper reports the "bike lost control". Right. That certainly sounds like Dick Fish, multi-time ISDT champion and world record-holder in many different endurance rides..... that he would just "lose control". Shyeah.

What the Sheriff's Office told GB&U staff was that Dick was in Glacier NP, following two cars, waiting for a chance to pass them. Apparently, there was a fair amount of tourist traffic in both lanes during that late afternoon. With no warning at all, the lead car decides (as it is passing a turn-out/small parking lot) to slam on the brakes and actually try to pull into said turn-out.

The second car slams on it's brakes to avoid hitting the lead car that's trying to make the turn-out.

Dick also tried to brake/swerve to avoid the tourist cars, but clipped the rear fender of the second car, getting tossed off the bike and landing in the oncoming lane, where oncoming traffic struck him. All this happened at very low speeds, according to the LEO on the scene.

Fucking hell.

Terrible accident. Thanks for the acute details. 70 and riding competitively is awesome. Hope my riding fire still burns that bright and fierce at that age. Prayers of encouragement and strength to the family and riding community.

Thanks for the details Dale. I didn't want to accept the "Lost Control" line for a guy with so many miles under his belt.

It has been a tough year and nobody mentions it because it is difficult to talk about.

... I cannot say I knew Dick that well but I think I can add just a bit of additional flavor about Dick Fish. We attended many rallies and RTE's together and I knew him well enough to share a drink and a laugh. From that I can tell you that:

Dick was a little tough to get to know - but once you did he was tremendously loyal. He MADE UP A RIDE to pay tribute to one of his best friends - a ride few people could ever finish. After making it up, he completed it riding the exact bike his friend died riding, which he had restored. It is a grueling ride covering corners of the North American Continent using some of the loneliest dirt roads he could find.

I always considered Dick kinda of the "Tin Cup" of LD Riding. Remember Kevin Costner trying to drive that green over the water hazard and kept putting shots into the water. He ruined his score and his championship drive, but he finally put one of the green. Like "Tin Cup", Dick liked to take the "Hard Route" (and was a stubborn as a mule). If there was 400 miles of dirt and mud involved - he did it, and it made him smile. Did not really matter if it was the best scoring option (he'd do it for a 1 point gas receipt), he just knew others could not do it! This was a guy who ALWAYS took Jungo Road to Gerlach just for grins, a road that has put more than one LDRider into a Reno hospital and he would do it just to see how fast he could make it.

Dick was also more active at 70 then I have ever been in my life. I believe he was still drag racing Harleys, and sponsoring a road race team. This was an active man with many outlets. I know he was also a mentor to other (especially Canadian) LD riders. He spent a lot of time with a fellow named Steve Broadhead who has one of the most accomplished list of IBA cert rides of the 40,000 or so people who have ever earned a cert (and is now sidelined with his own medical issues).

.... I did not know Dick that well, but I do know that he was one of the best all around riders I will ever know, a fiesty old SOB who was a terrific friend and loyal as an old Labrador Retriever if you took the time to know him.

Brian R.

:cray:

I was at GBU but I also did not know Dick; Bob Torter introduced him at the riders meeting and told those of us that didn't know him to make sure we did later on. I had planned to introduce myself after the rally and talk to him some.

No words can express the feeling that was pervasive in the room after we all came back. It was rough on me and I didn't know him. I could visibly see it was hard on others that did.

Damn Damn Damn...