The dreaded surge while cruising, low rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HueyFE

Reaction score
So, After riding for about 2 months after getting my 06, and reading on this forum, I realize the surging I am experiencing is not unique to my bike. I ordered a Motion Pro Carb Tune, and did the TBS last week. Changed the plugs, but they looked good. And did the Barbarian Jumper Mod. Added the federally mandated +7 to all cylinders. No joy, if anything it idles worse.

I went out today and started looking at the TPS, following along in the FSM. It ohmed at 5600, book says 4K to 6K, so nothing wrong there? Hooked it back up and measured voltage on back of connector (after reconnecting!)and got .67 volts. Book says .63 to .73v, so again, nothing wrong. In the d1AG screen, I was getting 16 at idle, and 102 at full throttle, with no missing spots. I adjusted the TPS to get 15 and 101. If I put it at 100, the bottom would read 14, so as per previous posts, I think by IonBeam, I was less worried about the 101, so I adjusted for 15 at idle.

I am getting more and more frustrated with this surge issue. The bike is downright dangerous in slow turns, and ridiculous trying to hold a steady speed on the highway. I know the PCIII may mask some the problems I am having, but I am still a little hesitant to believe that is the best solution. If some guys bikes do this, and some don't, then there has to be a specific problem or faulty component. I hate to say it, but one reason I bought this bike is I was tired of working on my old P.O.S., and wanted something newer that would have less gremlins. Unfortunately, my 1987 Vulcan beater bike runs better and is easier to operate than my FJR. Don't get me wrong, I love working on bikes, but I love riding them more.

Anyway, enough whining. I got my letter for the wiring recall last week, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't get the ECU recall done either. So as much as I dread giving my bike to the dealer, I will probably set that up. I am also trying to figure out why I was out riding yesterday and the 20 to 30 mph gusting crosswind I was riding in was making the surge issue ten times worse. It was definitely the engine surging, not the bike being pushed around. I know I read somewhere else on another forum about wind gusts and surging, but I couldn't find it.

Any thoughts on what to replace or look at next?

Justin

Throttle cable tension not too tight? No birds/critters in your air filter? Gas tank vent tubes not kinked? Idle turned up to 1100 rpm? How close is the sync between cylinders?

You probably know this, but I just thought I would throw this out there.

The Power Commander fixed the surging for me, and alleviated most of the off->on lurch.

When I first got the bike I didn't notice the surge so much, but it drove my wife bonkers, trying to match my speed.

I think you should bite the bullet and get a PCIII. I got mine on this forum for $225. It completely solved the surging off-throttle and surging at low speed. My 2007 runs sooooooooooooooooo much better with the PCIII. I tried alot of things first, TBS, new plugs, various diag. screen adjustments. Hell, my dealer even ran his CO probe on the bike for free to get rid of my surging complaints. Finally after 3 years of fussing, I got the PCIII and poof! My FRJ runs like it should.

I have no idea why some FJRs are surge-free from the factory and some, like mine, are horrible. Yamaha gets low marks from me on this issue.

Expect fewer MPG.

Slardy

I don't know if I am too cheap or too stubborn to just buy the PCIII. I will have to eat crow with the wife for spending a few hundred on the bike I bought so I would quit throwing money at the old P.O.S. I had.

I did look at the vent lines, and they look good as new, not a hint of kinking or binding. Filter was a little dusty, not bad though. Turned up Idle thursday to 1100, no improvement. Sync is spot on. It was way off when I hooked up the carbtune, but again, it didn't help. I made a failed attempt at the throttle spring, and after looking on the forum earlier today, I realized I went after the wrong spring, so I will have to try again. I am doing my work in an auto hobby shop on base, paying by the hour. It's not expensive, but you have to get in, open up the bike, and get your work done, close it all up, and get out at the end of the day, so it gets frustrating. I can set my throttle lock cruise control, and it still surges, so I know the spring release will help my wrist, but not the surging at cruise.

I am thinking of popping the tank filler cap while riding around just to completely eliminate the venting question, or eliminate myself with a lap full of gasoline. Anybody ever try this?

I don't know if I am too cheap or too stubborn to just buy the PCIII. I will have to eat crow with the wife for spending a few hundred on the bike I bought so I would quit throwing money at the old P.O.S. I had.

I did look at the vent lines, and they look good as new, not a hint of kinking or binding. Filter was a little dusty, not bad though. Turned up Idle thursday to 1100, no improvement. Sync is spot on. It was way off when I hooked up the carbtune, but again, it didn't help. I made a failed attempt at the throttle spring, and after looking on the forum earlier today, I realized I went after the wrong spring, so I will have to try again. I am doing my work in an auto hobby shop on base, paying by the hour. It's not expensive, but you have to get in, open up the bike, and get your work done, close it all up, and get out at the end of the day, so it gets frustrating. I can set my throttle lock cruise control, and it still surges, so I know the spring release will help my wrist, but not the surging at cruise.

I am thinking of popping the tank filler cap while riding around just to completely eliminate the venting question, or eliminate myself with a lap full of gasoline. Anybody ever try this?
Before you give up and 'eat crow' I would recommend turning up your CO settings to +15 on all cylinders. If that makes any difference you can try 'tuning' to get the optimum setting. It works for me :rolleyes:

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 07 and at first commuting 28k miles on highways the lean throttle at low rpm wouldn't bother me. Couldn't live w the surge though going around mountain roads on longer trips. Got the pc3 a few a months ago and completely solved the.issue. back in love w the bike. My $.02.

So, after cleaning the battery terminals, the motorcycle runs as good as new. Did a 9 hour ride from Albuquerque to Abilene with no problems. 51 mpg and no surging. What the hell? Battery terminal? Really?

My friend with an R1 said he was having similiar problems, and the dealer charged him $50 to clean his terminals and it fixed it, so I thought, why not? When I went to clean mine, I found that the positive terminal was barely finger tight. I should have known better, every car I've ever owned eventually had a battery problem. Also, I put the CO2 back to original before the trip, and it ran great. The only complaint now is the thousand foot pounds of torque required to overcome the throttle spring, and causing severe wrist pain, so I'll tackle that when I get a chance.

I violated my own golden rule. Simplest thing first. Throttle Body Alignment? Nope. New Plugs? Nope. CO2 Barbarian Jumper Mod? Nope. Freakin battery terminal! Idiot!

So, after cleaning the battery terminals, the motorcycle runs as good as new. Did a 9 hour ride from Albuquerque to Abilene with no problems. 51 mpg and no surging. What the hell? Battery terminal? Really?

My friend with an R1 said he was having similiar problems, and the dealer charged him $50 to clean his terminals and it fixed it, so I thought, why not? When I went to clean mine, I found that the positive terminal was barely finger tight. I should have known better, every car I've ever owned eventually had a battery problem. Also, I put the CO2 back to original before the trip, and it ran great. The only complaint now is the thousand foot pounds of torque required to overcome the throttle spring, and causing severe wrist pain, so I'll tackle that when I get a chance.

I violated my own golden rule. Simplest thing first. Throttle Body Alignment? Nope. New Plugs? Nope. CO2 Barbarian Jumper Mod? Nope. Freakin battery terminal! Idiot!
BINGO!

My electrified fuzzy friend. I was just about to post my opinion until I got to your last post.

My Battree clicky.

Read this one too.

All - Learn from silly us. ;)

Huey ~

Glad you found the problem, and it was simple to correct... don't feel bad, we've ALL been there at one time or another! <_<

re: Your avatar picture... were you shooting with a very fast lens, or is that a dead starboard engine I see there? :eek:

Any back story on that... probably not a battery terminal issue, eh?

Enjoy your surge-free ride, my friend.

Don

I have a feeling that Huey's surge was a whole lot more than what we talk about in those lean surge threads.

That is fairly subtle, to the point that some people can't feel it and other (like me) it drives nuts. 'Till they fix it. ;)

re: Your avatar picture... were you shooting with a very fast lens, or is that a dead starboard engine I see there? :eek:
I'm guessin' with the sun prominently in the background, it was with a VERY fast lens, stopped down to about f/2000. :lol:

The excellent depth-of-field is a dead-giveaway, too!

Latest posts