Group ride down to SW-FOG from the CO Frontrange

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score
Hey all,

Any interest in a group ride down to Toas for SW-FOG this year?

Here's the route I was planning (<-- that's a clicky linky thingy)

Meet at the Shell/Circle K gas station at I-25 and Garden of the Gods (on the east side of I-25) at 9am on September 5th 6th, take CO-115 down to Florence. Meet up with CO-67, then CO-96, and finally to CO-165. After some glorious roads, take a rest stop at Bishop Castle. Definitely a sight to see if you haven't been there. Jim Bishop is, um, quite the character too.

Continue on through the San Isabel National Forest, back to Rye, and unfortunately, slab it all the way down to Raton, NM and have a late-ish lunch, somewhere around 1pm. After lunch, there is approximately 40 miles of the most boring road you have ever seen, and it's called US-64. All the way from Raton to Cimarron, is flat, straight, and boring. You might see some of Ted Turner's Bison herd though. The good news is after Cimarron is the Cimarron Canyon. O to the MG! AWESOME twisties!!! Go around beautiful Eagle Nest, and finally some last bits of decent roads before we drop into Toas. Just watch out for Beemer Don and that poor sheep of his once at the Kachina lodge. If that room's a rockin', don't go a knockin'!!

Who wants some companionship down to the Enchanted area of Taos (figured I'd spell it correctly for those out of the know)!

Update: Turns out the Phillips 66 that used to be on the west side of I-25 (toward the mountains) is now a Shell. That means there are two Shell stations on either side of I-25! The one I am referring to is 435 GARDEN OF THE GODS RD COLORADO SPRINGS CO 80907-4217. It's on the EAST side of I-25 (away from the mountains).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately this Colorado rider is a working stiff for atleast the next 35 years, so SW-FOG is out for me as long as it is during the week.

Unfortunately this Colorado rider is a working stiff for atleast the next 35 years, so SW-FOG is out for me as long as it is during the week.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm well into 30+ years of hard labor and it isn't over yet. Toas was fun last year but the early mid week schedule wouldn't work for me this year.

Sorry you can't make it, SaharaJp99.

Offer still stands for anyone else who *is* able to blow off work ;)

No interest? I promise I'll shower before the trip!
With Old Michael again? Not that it is a bad thing of course!

I mean, Tom did it!

IMG_0432.jpg

beemer, I have to grab a drink with you one of these years! You have a unique way of anti-selling a proposition while still selling it at the same time!

Disclaimer: This statement was a generalization, and by no means should be interpreted that I have a desire to shower with Old Michael, Tom, or phroenips.

beemer, I have to grab a drink with you one of these years! You have a unique way of anti-selling a proposition while still selling it at the same time!

Disclaimer: This statement was a generalization, and by no means should be interpreted that I have a desire to shower with Old Michael, Tom, or phroenips.
Tis the Eire Blarney SaharaJp99, we FJR Forum Irish are full of it! Old Michael, ShinyPartsUp and BeemerDonS are as full of shit as the Christmas goose! Slainte!

If this plan is still on then I would defintely like to join in! Not sure if I can stay for the whole event, but the ride down sounds like a good time to me. Let me know if the plan changes.

If this plan is still on then I would defintely like to join in! Not sure if I can stay for the whole event, but the ride down sounds like a good time to me. Let me know if the plan changes.
Hey Phil,

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, we're still on to ride down. So far, you would make the fourth (probably anyway...COSFJR still isn't sure if he'll be able to go down or not, but it's looking promising)