What appears to be a crack in Hub assembly cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoundingAssphalt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have what feels and looks like a crack in the hub assembly cover on my 2006. No leaking or anything. Just saw it (actually felt it) when I was washing bike. Just out of curiosity i contacted the dealer and he told me I had to replace the whole drive hub assembly to replace cover. 700.00 bucks just for the part. They said if it wasn't leaking just keep an eye on it. I will just let it go for that price. But i looked for a salvage one and found an 08 assembly. Will an 08 fit on a 06 FJR?

Thanks, Terry

Hello Everyone,
I have what feels and looks like a crack in the hub assembly cover on my 2006. No leaking or anything. Just saw it (actually felt it) when I was washing bike. Just out of curiosity i contacted the dealer and he told me I had to replace the whole drive hub assembly to replace cover. 700.00 bucks just for the part. They said if it wasn't leaking just keep an eye on it. I will just let it go for that price. But i looked for a salvage one and found an 08 assembly. Will an 08 fit on a 06 FJR?

Thanks, Terry
Terry,

This is what I have found for info:

2006: REAR AXLE GEAR CASE

3P6-W4612-30-00 (replaces 3P6-W4612-01-00) 1 $700.32 $532.24 your cost.

2008:1REAR AXLE GEAR CASE

3P6-W4612-30-00 (replaces 3P6-W4612-20-00) 1 $700.32 $532.24 your cost.

So it looks like the same part for GENII Feejers. You can always check OEM part fisches on many aftermarket retailers to get this kind of information. From what I can tell it is the whole assembly including all the innards. If you saw the casting on my XR you would say why doesn't this thing leak. Scared me at first but after 15K it is still solid as a rock. These stress cracks are just part of the casting process. Most castings get x-rayed these days and if there is any question the get a zyglo process or pressure tested. They also can do a process where by they use a penetrating sealer on castings to stop any leakages. A lot of your gas pump handles will get this process done to them. I am sure Yamaha has this well under control otherwise we would know there would be an issue.

Enjoy the ride and don't let this bother you. Just my opinion.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not get it magna-flux it will tell you if there is a crack. Some one that does head repair in the auto industry can do it for you...

Why not get it magna-flux it will tell you if there is a crack. Some one that does head repair in the auto industry can do it for you...
He's likely need to dis-assemble the pumpkin before they'd do so. And it might be better to see what's on the inside.....and the depth of whatever cracks are present.

I think he has a workable answer from what has already been posted here and the encouragement that his is NOT the only final drive with stress cracks and the others are still safely on the road.

Hey everybody,

I have a photo on my computer but i don't know how to upload on here. When you click insert image it asks for image url. right there you lost me. Dave thanks for the info. The more i look the more it looks like casting marks. Maybe they just polish the top of the hub you can see and don't worry about the appearance of the bottom. Thanks everyone. I may buy a salvage hub assembly if i can get it for the right price just to have on the shelf. Especially after seeing what they want for a new one.

Terry

...I have a photo on my computer but i don't know how to upload on here...
You can't post pictures from your home computer directly to this Forum, you have to use a photo hosting web site online such as Photobucket. You then link the picture URL to the post you are writing. How To Post from Photobucket to this Forum. It's a pain in the ass the first time or two but the pain goes away pretty quickly.

Here we go.

hub5.jpg

hub8.jpg

Hope I did it right.

Thanks Ionbeam

I believe every FJR made has a casting that looks like that. If the V-Max owners on this Forum go out and look at their casting it should look the same too.
Geez, Alan, this post made me go outside, dust off the pumpkin and take a look. Uh...MINE doesn't have those marks. :bleh:

Thanks Everybody. This has got to be the best forum I belong to. And I belong to a few, shooting, reloading, Japanese mini trucks etc.

I think I will go ahead and buy the complete 08 hub assembly with drive shaft. Claims only 8k on it. Photos look good. 200.00 includes shipping. It will look nice on my as seen on tv shelf.

I believe every FJR made has a casting that looks like that. If the V-Max owners on this Forum go out and look at their casting it should look the same too.
Geez, Alan, this post made me go outside, dust off the pumpkin and take a look. Uh...MINE doesn't have those marks. :bleh:
Well damn, I've grubbed around under several Gen I FJRs and they have all had similar casting marks. I have owned a V-Max and it had similar to worse casting marks. Next Friday we are faced with having to start a Pumpkin Pole Poll and find out just who has a wrinkled ass end.

Mine has casting marks, gen2. Save your money for other farkles. Your feejer ain't no rear-end eating BMW.

One reason that not all bikes look the same is, Yamaha has more than one tool/die to produce this part, or the tool/die was repaired between runs showing different condition of these parts.

Not that I can confirm it but these are most likely made with the lost wax process. Once the molten aluminum is poured into the ceramic shell it will crack. You would need hundreds of thousands of parts to warrent a die cast mold. A die cast mold will show slight parting lines most likely straight in nature not like the vains you see in the pictures.

Your money would be better spent on farkles.

Dave