Lake Superior Circle Tour 9/5-9/10 advice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrhoosier

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for places to stay in Wawa and Thunder Bay? The last time I rode the North shore of Superior was 1984. I am riding for the first time with some of my snowmobiling friends who have limited motorcycle touring experience. We are only riding 300 mile days and will start at Houghton Lake with the first night in Wawa, second night in Thunder Bay, third night in Ironwood, Mi.,fourth night meeting friends in Strongs, Mi., and then home. Also, recommendations for food and must see sites would be appreciated. Last time I was in this area another friend and I did a short snowmobile trip from White River to Hearst and back.

P.M. Bungie. You might also check with JeffQ here. He just got back from a trip up that way. I think Griff has also done time up there..

Edit: I just seen where you're going to be in Ironwood.You could P.M Yooper Dick.. Jus don't let on you know me :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
P.M. Bungie.
The feck?!

Can you recommend places to stay in Glasgow Kentucky? No? Why the feck not?! It's the same distance from you as Wawa is to me!

I'll take a stab at it though. Thunder Bay, no problem, lots of hotels. Wawa, I think 2. Best call ahead.

I have spent the night at the Days Inn Glasgow ya porcupine fuk..

Not that I wanted to but I ran out of hours and had slept in me truck for 3 nights and wanted a change. Now quit yer actin' like Stanley and suggest something, or I'm going to get on me bike an ride up to Sudbury and rape ya.

Not that I wanted to but I ran out of hours and had slept in me truck for 3 nights and wanted a change. Now quit yer actin' like Stanley and suggest something, or I'm going to get on me bike an ride up to Sudbury and rape ya, again.
Fixed it for you Bustanut joker, you are welcome!!

You're having Bungie give directions to fjrhoosier?

What in the holy hell did fjrhoosier ever do to you!

Not that I wanted to but I ran out of hours and had slept in me truck for 3 nights and wanted a change. Now quit yer actin' like Stanley and suggest something, or I'm going to get on me bike an ride up to Sudbury and rape ya, again.

Well, for one Greg said hello to me two years ago..

I'm trying to think of the other reason but I'm drunk again.

Well, for one Greg said hello to me two years ago..

I'm trying to think of the other reason but I'm drunk again.

I will give Hoosier a heads up or two though.

The Rossport Inn (in Rossport... gee!) used to be an awesome biker friendly establishment. Had some friends stay up there last year. New owner and the guys a dick. Avoid.

Terrace Bay, the Red Dog Inn (despite looking decent from the outside) is to be avoided. No food in the AM (THE FECK!) no Coffee either and quite expensive. You can get lunch and dinner their, the food is good, but be prepare to spend $18 for lasagna, or $13 for a club sammich.

I will give Hoosier a heads up or two though.

The Rossport Inn (in Rossport... gee!) used to be an awesome biker friendly establishment. Had some friends stay up there last year. New owner and the guys a dick. Avoid.

Terrace Bay, the Red Dog Inn (despite looking decent from the outside) is to be avoided. No food in the AM (THE FECK!) no Coffee either and quite expensive. You can get lunch and dinner their, the food is good, but be prepare to spend $18 for lasagna, or $13 for a club sammich.

Still.. Not nearly as pricey as the po boys in Quebec :p

I was thinking about the Parkway Motel in Wawa and the Days Inn in Thunder Bay. How's it going Bust long time no talk. I took a 6K trip to the Southwest last year and had an outstanding time. Rode Highway 7 in the Ozarks, Every curve seemingly in New Mexico, the devils highway in Az, and the San Juans in SW Colorado. Unfortunately haven't gotten in much mileage so far this year as the Circle Tour will be the first and longest. There's a guy who raises sheep near me and every time I pass that place I think of you. Mainly the image is of you chasing all those terrified sheep around the farm!

Good to see ya here Greg.. I can't believe you passed through the South West without A.J. Patch, Beemerdons, or Scooty fukin things up for you.

As far as them sheep? I have a number of offspring in your area. You forget I know the Amish down that way. ;)

You get a few and want a break and chat here, or want am extra ride along to the bridge lemme know.

Bust, it appears I will be heading to a friends at Houghton Lake monday night where we will all meet up prior to heading north on Tuesday. I will be riding with all Harleys and a few of the riders think 300 miles is a big day, wish me luck. If you are planning any rides in the upper lower I'd love to ride with you sometime.

Well shoot, I would have road along at least to the lake today, but Ol man Carver will be here shortly and I don't think he's going to want to ride too far.

The trip from Kali has probably wore his candy butt out.

Well shoot, I would have road along at least to the lake today, but Young Man Carver will be here shortly and I don't think he's going to want to ride too far.

The trip from Kali has probably wore his candy butt out.
No Shit, Sherlock! This Old Man rode from Chandler, AZ to Willsboro, NY in 3 days and Carver has been dicking around on the road for a week. Candybutt Don is Right!

I just rode around Lk Superior. I stayed in TBay and SSMarie. Wawa I rode thru but didn't stay there.

Sooo ... fwiw Wawa is small but looks to have several OK looking independant motels right on the main drag. All within walking distance of a few pub/restos. Coin flip I'd say.

TBay is different. It has all the usuals out near the Trans Can -- Best Western/DaysInn/ Comfort Inn etc etc .... however they were real pricey $110 and up and mostly full for some reason. Book ahead if you want a room in one of them. The alternative is to go downtown -- actually the west side of dt ... to Cumberland Ave. Several $50 well-past-their-prime ma/pa motels. I took a chance and it worked out fine. Voyaguer Motel is where I stayed. Old and very dated but everything worked and clean enough. No food closeby.

Things to see? Well, Kakabecka Falls is worth a side trip. Lots a beach stops & scenic lookouts are possible. I don't stop much I guess

Its an awesome trip -- have fun.