Amazing build: marrying a Kawasaki triple to a GSXR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
I came across this thread on AVRider today, and spent a couple hours reading it. What a fascinating story, with dozens, maybe a hundred pictures: something like 23 pages long. This fella describes buying a powder coating outfit and using it to do the most amazing work on an early 70's Kawasaki 500 triple. He did an incredible job rebuilding the engine and trannie, and then attempted to refabricate a 92 Suzuki GSXR to receive the engine, tank, and side covers. He ended up changing directions and grafting parts of the Suzuki to a strengthened and improved stock frame. It was a fascinating read. I especially enjoyed watching him fight with broken, missing or corroded parts. Just thinking... you can get the pipes chromed or anodized in any color ya like... Wouldn't they look incredible anodized in gold? Anyway, check it out... CLICKY

Kawasaki500resizedto280wide.png

Gary

darksider #44

Want a good chuckle? Look at the pic of the engine when he started out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time i looked at this "journey" was late last summer. I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. If you've not seen it, check out the link above. You'll really enjoy this: over 20 pages of some really impressive workmanship.

Gary

darksider #44

Extremely Cool! The write up is addicting, can't quit, ttyl, gotta get back to page 9. Thanks for the linky.

Damn! Another hour of my life gone :rolleyes:

Thanks Gary.

Just realized that this bike is in Revelstoke, BC - just up the road.

Might be a good NAFO ride. Show up at his house - buy him a beer :drinks:

Al

Kamal,

Oh my soul... if you EVER meet this guy, I'LL BUY HIM AN FJR... just so he'll join THIS forum. Reading his posts is extremely entertaining. Did ya read about the "extension" he put on the oven door so he could cook up extra large powder coated parts? Or the part where he cut up a bicycle frame for steel tubing to fabricate parts for his frame?

Gary

darksider #44

Very, very cool... kinda makes my humble fussing with my 78 Yam triple seem extremely amateur :dribble:

Griff
Hey Griff,Don't feel bad... he far out paces my skills as well. I haven't welded anything since high school, and that was 40 years ago next year. I'd love to just hang out and watch. Geez. The only thing going on in my neighborhood is clunkers being towed up and down the street by rednecks. Needless to say, my little one car garage is maxed out just holding my FJR and a shop vac and tool box. Oh what I wouldn't give for some garage space and some FJR forum neighbors.

Gary

darksider #44