Havoline Dex-Cool?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1300

Reaction score
I was just on www.FJRTech.com

I'm wanting to change my FJR's coolant.

'Warchild' is recommending 'Havoline Dex-Cool' for a coolant.

I checked at Wal-Mart, Auto Zone and, O'Rileys. None of these places stock it.

What else can I use?

There are 101 correct answers to your question.

IMO, just use any name brand coolant. For convenience try one of the 50/50 pre-mix coolants like Honda Premix or Prestone 50/50.

FWIW: Dex-Cool is in the family of organic acid technology (OAT) and hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT). These acidic coolants are supposed to dissolve corrosion and extend the life of the coolant. In the real world they actually created damage and corrosion (leading to law suits). Some coolants like Dex-Cool are supposed to be an extended change coolant that (may have) caused damage the equivalent to corrosion in a short period of time. This was a BIG DEAL in my car club with Chevy LT-1 and LT-4 engines that experienced heavy corrosion and repeated plugging of radiator coolant tubes.

Hey, this has only been discussed around here a bazillion times. Did you try searching 'coolant'?

There are 101 correct answers to your question.IMO, just use any name brand coolant. For convenience try one of the 50/50 pre-mix coolants like Honda Premix or Prestone 50/50.

FWIW: Dex-Cool is in the family of organic acid technology (OAT) and hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT). These acidic coolants are supposed to dissolve corrosion and extend the life of the coolant. In the real world they actually created damage and corrosion (leading to law suits). Some coolants like Dex-Cool are supposed to be an extended change coolant that (may have) caused damage the equivalent to corrosion in a short period of time. This was a BIG DEAL in my car club with Chevy LT-1 and LT-4 engines that experienced heavy corrosion and repeated plugging of radiator coolant tubes.
Still...,

Some major manufacturers still recco OAT/HOAT coolant.

This from a 2012 owners manual from a major motorcycle manufacturer (not Yamaha):

"A year-round, Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (known as Hybrid OAT or HOAT) coolant is installed in the cooling system when the motorcycle leaves the factory."

"To protect the cooling system from corrosion, the use of corrosion inhibitor chemicals in the coolant is essential.

If coolant containing a corrosion inhibitor is not used, the cooling system will accumulate rust and scale in the water jacket and radiator, and considerably reduce the efficiency of the cooling system."

Then again -- if still in doubt? -- one could simply use this:

Yamalube_YamaCool-500.jpg

MamaYama wouldn't do your FJR wrong... :eek: :unsure:

Almost 57K with Havoline Dex-Cool. Did the 'Blow-job' 5 years ago. Time to flush and refill.

Just wondering if there is something compatable to 'Havoline Dex-Cool'.

Starting to look like another 'Blow-job' is in order...

I just changed out my coolant and used Honda premix. Further discovery on my part indicates I could have used Zerex AV (Asian Vehicle), Engine Ice or Sierra. The latter two use the less toxic propylene glycol formulation. To convert you should drain and flush with 50/50 mix of distilled H20 and white vinegar. The apparent drawback is that PG products don't have the longevity of the ethylene glycol mix.

Both Sierra and Zerex are available @ NAPA

Just got off the phone with one of Texaco's Tech rep's. 'Mike'. 1(800) 822-5823

Since Texaco and Chevron merged they are now recommending 'Chevron Delo Extended Life Coolant'.

It's compatable with the Havoline Dex Cool.

He even said if I like the Havoline I'm gonna really like the Chevron product. Available in a pre-mix or concentrate.

Available at most truck stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Prestone 'universal formula' extended life coolant. I figure I will be changing coolant at every 2 years or so anyway, because I'll be doing a valve check/adjust every 26k miles.

https://prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list#Overview-378

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

I like the Prestone 'universal formula' extended life coolant. I figure I will be changing coolant at every 2 years or so anyway, because I'll be doing a valve check/adjust every 26k miles.

https://prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list#Overview-378

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

Is it "silicate and phosphate-free"? I'm stick'in with DEX-COOL 57K and no troubles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim...you've been on here what, a million years. :blink: Stay away from the automotive $h!T!

Honda 50/50 Pre-mix, Word!

--G

Jim...you've been on here what, a million years. :blink: Stay away from the automotive $h!T!

--G
Exactly George!

If I had a freaking dollar for every time I told somebody to keep it freaking simple and go get the Honda pre-mix.............

--G
Exactly George!

If I had a freaking dollar for every time I told somebody to keep it freaking simple and go get the Honda pre-mix.............
Exactly, exactly. Been using Honda 50-50 premix in every moto bike for quite some time now. Use Honda's fork oil, too. Was using their semi syn HP-4 oil, too, but that's been hard to find and extra expensive around here lately with dealers going out of business, so I've switched to Castrol's MC full syn racing oil that I can find in auto parts stores now.

Can't go wrong with the Honda premix coolant.