RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Mobile Phone Cradle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyUSN

Reaction score
was discussing Phone mounting options in another thread. I believe the cradle will work for devices as small as an ITouch to your largest smart phone. I do not think there would be a problem vertically mounting a phone, the contact points are stable, but without a bottom shelf supporting the phone while mounted vertically I will stick to landscape.

I really like the fact I can mount my phone without being concerned with removing my day to day case. Just scissor the top two contact arms, insert the phone and the springs retract to the phone. Video HERE

I currently use an HTC EVO 3D, but the photo below shows my previous Iphone. I used the HTC as my camera.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thats fine but it will overheat after about an hour in the sun and shut itself down.....

R

thats fine but it will overheat after about an hour in the sun and shut itself down.....

R
We had 60+ days of temps over 100 degrees this summer. My phone over heated once while in the map pouch of my tank bag (no air moving past it).

The phone(s) will not over heat if not sealed up. The main reason I did not go with an Aquabox type container for daily use.

Looks great! Just purchased this for my Droid the other day. I planned on using the car charger to keep the phone running for the time being.

Josh

I like it! Have you tried running any GPS apps like navigon or garmin? Also, is the screen washed out in the sun? I had my iPhone in a zippered cases mounted to a Ram mount but mine would shut down due to temp while running navigon. In all fairness it was in an Otterbox and then inside the zippered case with clear plastic face.

If you want to mount it vertically without fear of it falling off, maybe you could make a hammock out of a hair net to cradle it and attach it to the two lower grippers?

Scotty - wanted to say thanks for posting up the pics...

Looks nice - Got it all on order....

I like it! I mounted my iPhone 3G to the brake reservoir with Velcro on a 7500 mile road trip. It has not been the same since, and I'm just eeking out time until the iphone 5 is released. How do you like the HTC EVO 3D?

Phone will over heat if you leaving sitting in the sun and bike is not moving. This has happened a number of times to me when I forgot to remove the phone. If your riding, enough air is going by to keep it from over heating unless in the hotest of areas.

I use the Navigon App everytime I ride. No problem reading it mid day in the sun.

I like it! I mounted my iPhone 3G to the brake reservoir with Velcro on a 7500 mile road trip. It has not been the same since, and I'm just eeking out time until the iphone 5 is released. How do you like the HTC EVO 3D?
I prefer the HTC EVO over the Iphone (3 or 4). I had a HTC G1 (original google phone) , and preferred the Iphone over it. But the HTC is as good or better than the IPhone now.

The EVO 3D is fast. Battery life is "OK", but better than most dual core phones. The 3D camera thing is a bit "gimmicky", but not why I bought the phone. As long as it doesn't break on me (Ineed to insure the device), I am happy with it replacing my IPhone and more importantly dumping ATT for a slightly better Sprint service.

Interesting. I had my HTC EVO in the glove box of my bike for 7 days in a row, and just blue toothed it to the ZUMO. No heat issues.

I like the idea of having it mounted where i can see it, and was thinking about an Aqua box, but from what I am reading above there could be heat issues? I am surprised i didn't have any heat issues with it being in the glove box with ambient temps that were in the mid 90's. Not much air flow in the glove box.

Interesting. I had my HTC EVO in the glove box of my bike for 7 days in a row, and just blue toothed it to the ZUMO. No heat issues.

I like the idea of having it mounted where i can see it, and was thinking about an Aqua box, but from what I am reading above there could be heat issues? I am surprised i didn't have any heat issues with it being in the glove box with ambient temps that were in the mid 90's. Not much air flow in the glove box.
That fits with my experience.

My phones current HTC and prevoius IPhone never overheated in any shaded enlosure such as pocket, tankbag interior pocket, glovebox. Using the large map pocket window on top of my large tank bag which allows the phone to bake in direct sun light over heated my IPhone within 20 minutes of riding at approx 100 degrees utilizing the phone as an MP3 player only. After allowing the phone to cool down, I restarted it and the MP3 player placed the phone within an interior tank bag pocket without any further issues.

I was worried the AquaBox enclosure would have the same effect has my map pouch in direct sunlight and overheat.

Scotty any concerns with very bumpy roads? Does the mount seem to hold phone securely enough?

Scotty any concerns with very bumpy roads? Does the mount seem to hold phone securely enough?
Yes and No....

No concern with the device coming out of the mount on a bumpy road, especially in landscape mode. I prefer landscape due to my location so that's not an issue.

Yes I have a concern with a smartphone mounted on any motorcycle, in any mount. I've ensured the device with squaretrade.com so I'm covered regardless to who or what happens to the phone other than theft. This is my third, none of which have broke.

Where can I get the ball mount that attaches to those tank bolts? I can't find it on Ram-mount as being associated with the FJR. Is it a universal part that happens to fit there? A part number or something would be greatly appreciated.

FJRGPSMOUNT.jpg

You can find it here.... https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124395

If you don't have the BigFoot for the Kickstand - I would get one of those as well from Wynpro...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=125329

Just send out your moneys to his paypal acct, and he will ship it out, I would say that day....

Very Fast !!!

BTW, I got all the parts for this same mount for my ThunderBolt and it works excellent - in both the horizontal and vertical position.

For a good USB power - this unit works really great.... https://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather-USB-Hardwire-Kit_p_475.html.

You can find it here.... https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=124395

If you don't have the BigFoot for the Kickstand - I would get one of those as well from Wynpro...

https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=125329

Just send out your moneys to his paypal acct, and he will ship it out, I would say that day....

Very Fast !!!

BTW, I got all the parts for this same mount for my ThunderBolt and it works excellent - in both the horizontal and vertical position.

For a good USB power - this unit works really great.... https://www.cyclenutz...Kit_p_475.html.
+1 Great product

I believe he sells in two sizes, what you see is the short mount.