Anybody seen these 1/4 mile times?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
Motorcycle-usa review

The differing powerbands were evident during our performance testing. The FJR-A jumped to an early lead with its bountiful torque motoring it to 60 mph a tenth of a second ahead of the K12GT. By the time the bikes cruise through the quarter-mile, they're running neck and neck. The Beemer's10.77 at 133.5 mph is just a tick longer than the FJR's 10.73 at 131.9 mph. If the throttles are held open even longer, the GT romps ahead of the standard-shift Yamaha, evidenced by its higher trap speed.

Just as the FJR-AE's auto-clutch held it back in slow-speed maneuvers, it also proved to be a hindrance during acceleration testing. It's not able to balance the clutch's friction zone and engagement modulation like an experienced tester, so Duke Danger's best pass on the AE was a lackluster 11.41 at 128.2 mph[. Its 0-130-mph run was nearly 1.5 seconds slower than the standard-shift version. On the plus side, the consistency of the auto-clutch would make for a great bracket racer. Just make sure to mount a dummy lever to fool the tech inspectors!

I'm sure the ET's are compensated for through an altitude/DA calculator - but those trap speeds blow anything else I've ever seen out of the water, including the AE's

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh...Now I know how fast my bike will run the quarter. Well,,,Maybe not my bike with my big ass and no track experience, but some really light guy that can dump a clutch would fly!

I don't remember what Useless Pickle's times were. He posted them up a while back.

My little 1/4 mile run was 12.12 with my 250 pound body. I did get comments about the 1/8 mile speed of 99.8 mph. I think if I took off the +4,+2 windshield the top end would have been better.

Those times are significantly quicker than any other published times I've seen.

Here's my best performance stats so far:

0-60mph: 2.9s (actual)

0-100mph: 6.3s (actual)

1/4 mile: 10.824s @ 126.77mph (actual)

1/4 mile: 10.597s @ 130.46mph (corrected)

I'm not a professional racer, and I'm scared of dropping the clutch at high RPMs for a hard launch, but I do have some mods (slip-ons, air box mod, custom fuel map) and I do only weight 135 lbs.

What is "corrected" time? Is it the calculated difference between the actual elevation and sea level?

If I ran a 10.0 at 5k feet in Albuquerque, would that time go up or down at SL? I donno if it accounts for power or air density. I would think the increased drag @ SL would offset any increase in engine performance.

Am I off base here?

After reading the Sept. comparo 'tween the Connie and the big Beemer in Cycle WWorld and reading the raves about their motors I thought ho-hum... Depending on the riders I don't see the FJR sucking hind teat in a contest with the latest and greatest..

What is "corrected" time? Is it the calculated difference between the actual elevation and sea level?...
"Corrected To Standard" are corrections for:

• Air Temperature (at the carb/FI intake opening)
  • Barometric Pressure (and therefore altitude too)
  • Percent Relative Humidity
The correction is applied to both the elapsed time and terminal velocity or on an engine dyno these corrections would be applied to HP and torque.

When you are at the track you would use the Correct to Standard to set a baseline on how your vehicle is performing, then as the day goes on you would use these numbers to calculate Correct to Environment to help dial in for bracket racing.

What is "corrected" time? Is it the calculated difference between the actual elevation and sea level?

If I ran a 10.0 at 5k feet in Albuquerque, would that time go up or down at SL? I donno if it accounts for power or air density. I would think the increased drag @ SL would offset any increase in engine performance.

Am I off base here?
As Alan is more technically explaining - your corrected times would go way down. The engine's performance increase at SL more than makes up for any drag difference. A 10.0 @5k feet would probably be corrected down to about a 9.1 or so would be my guess. When I've brought my bike to the black hills (5-7k feet) there's noticeable drop in power.

I've not had mine on the drag strip yet but I can just about guarantee you my 100% stock 09 FJR with me at 180 lbs will turn close to 11" in the quarter in the upper 120's and about 7.2 seconds at 105 in the 1/8th. I'm just saying but I got a feel for these things. Anything better than that on a stock bike would truely be impressive. Lets hear the reports.

Bill

Completely stock at my only time to an 1/8 track I ran 7.3@99-100mph pretty consistently. I'm about 210lbs suited up. That was on my Gen1 and it wanted to wheelie off the line, wasn't very easy to launch, most 60' times were 1.8-1.9. My gen2 launches much better with its gearing and longer wheelbase, but haven't been to a track and probably never will since there's nothing near me.

A good rider who knows how to launch should be able to get any FJR through in under 11s, but not saying I could. I'm thinking it would need a 1.6 60' time and favorable weather. Everything runs better at 60 degrees and high pressure compared to a humid 90 degree night. The track is a lot of fun though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts