A Ride to New Mexico

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This really isn't a ride report.

Not enough mirth or malice to qualify.

What I'll post here are just a few dozen of the pictures I took from earlier this month,

when Bokerfork and I zoomed from Northern California out to Northern New Mexico for

the Southwest FJR Owner's Group shindig in Taos.

Most of these photos are just images of the road and the sky...and Bokerfork wrecking the shot.

I'll include a few captions where they're needed.

I'd convinced Bokerfork that it was critical that we leave VERY early in the morning. We rolled away from Roseville Yamaha at 0400.

It's truly amazing how damn cold it gets in the eastern Sierras at 0500, even in early September.

My dashboard was showing about 10 below as we went through.

Seriously.

Had we been women, we'd have required heated undergarments.

Just out of Fernley at sunrise.

IMG_2497edit.jpg

Hey, Mark. You didn't mind leaving so early, did ya?

IMG_2567edit.jpg

As you can see, we took Highway 50 across shitty Nevada.

IMG_2584edit.jpg

How about another one?

We always ride at 55mph
pooh_go.gif
, but if a fellow wanted to go faster out here,....he could.

IMG_2587edit-1.jpg

We encountered the HYCLES, and the RogDebs, and the FJRobs (Mike, Terri, Roger, Deb, Rob, and Terrie) in Austin at mid-morning. They

put up with us riding along for awhile, but it was apparent that we were annoying them, so we parted ways somewhere in the desert.

Stopped for lunch in Ely in early afternoon.

We hadda beat feet outta there after Mark was involved in an "incident" with one of the locals.

IMG_2503edit.jpg

Spent our first night in a downscale motel in Cedar City, in the southwest corner of beautiful Utah.

The next couple of days, we rode through a bunch of the most beautiful parts of southern Utah, Colorado, and then down

into Taos.

It looked like this.

IMG_2507edit.jpg

IMG_2508edit.jpg

IMG_2623edit.jpg

Hmmm. This must be the way Dr. Rich always comes.

IMG_2528edit.jpg

IMG_2541edit.jpg

IMG_2563edit.jpg

IMG_2560edit.jpg

Back with a few more in a couple of minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OM, since you said this isn't a RR, we'll not hold the captions to the gold standard that you have set. Having said that, why isn't there some inference that Marky Mark was less than macho by not riding his bike out on the point to take a pic? I'm sure the two of you could horse that beast to turn it around on that 20" wide path. I see yours got pretty close to taking a dive off that precipice. Contrast on third to last pic was outstanding! Also, you gotta help a brother out, how about buying the man a drink so he can save up and buy a new head light bulb! :D

IMG_2608edit.jpg

IMG_2612edit-1.jpg

Approaching Taos.

IMG_2757edit.jpg

IMG_2587edit.jpg

I took very few photos while at the gathering. There were lots of cameras about, so I figgered there'd be a many more "people shots" posted.

Spent the next couple of days looking around the area, and enjoying the company of the beautiful FJR attendees ... and Sacramento Mike.

In no particular order.

(Again, mostly from the saddle of my FJR.)

We rode with a bunch of the boys on Wednesday, led by the Emperor of the Southwest,

Beemerdons. Papa Chuy was on his gorgeous new BMW. Our group had to stop in every little

town so that Don could sign autographs, pose for pictures in front of his bike,

and kiss the local girls.

IMG_2772edit.jpg

Through lawless Red River.
wink.gif

IMG_2796edit.jpg

IMG_2809edit.jpg

IMG_2592edit.jpg

IMG_2598edit.jpg

IMG_2842edit.jpg

IMG_2818edit.jpg

IMG_2833edit.jpg

RallyBastard Big-D.

IMG_2764.jpg

Wheatie, I don't know how you put up with this dude.

IMG_2850.jpg

Downtown Taos.
blink.gif

IMG_2852.jpg

Geez, these are a lame bunch of pics, huh?

A Triumph group arrived on Thursday. Mostly on trailers.

I liked this one.

IMG_2839.jpg

Okay.

We left for home on Friday morning, and just a few miles out of town

we came upon Highlander and Dianne, stopped on the side of the highway.

They'd run over something large and sharp, ripped a big-assed hole in their rear tire, and had to go back to Taos and regroup.

This is a PR2 with 47 sticky strings in it.

IMG_2861.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the ride home. (Actually, we did the Million Dollar thing from Durango up through Ouray etc., on the way back,

but I took not a single picture of most of it. We were in the "get home" mode, I reckon.)

Stayed in Green River for a night, and did the turn-and-burn the next morning. The last sunrise of the trip.

IMG_2907edit.jpg

IMG_2612edit.jpg

IMG_2900edit.jpg

It was a really good trip. Lots of awfully nice roads and things to look at. And of course, it was indeed a pleasure to travel with

Bokerfork. He's a good rider, we're comfortable with each other's pace, and most importantly, he's got a sense of humor.

Thank you, Anne Marie, for letting him out of the house for a few days.

Thanks, all, for looking at my report.

Well hell OM, good job as usual. I was going to pick a one and say this one, but there were to many this one's.

Thanks OM, some very nice shot's.

... Also, you gotta help a brother out, how about buying the man a drink so he can save up and buy a new head light bulb! :D
CAJW, the boy is a weenie. His headlight was out when we LEFT. And as soon as I told him that it annoyed me looking at his one-eyed

'07, well, he refused to replace it. I offered to buy him one, AND put it in. But, NO. He wanted to be a cheesebag.

Nice photo display....I'm sure glad you have a great camera! ;)

Uhm....Moki Dugway...isn't that the one Jill is whining..er..sniveling...posting about in the other place? Something about their dual-sport ride, the steep climb and Andy not being comfortable with heights? And a couple of FJR owners ride that road and post pictures..... :dntknw:

Outstanding photos and prose once again Old Michael, you always prove that you are indeed the "FJR Forum Ride Report Master"!

BikerGeek99 should just bury his camera in his Columbus, OH backyard and shred his laptop. Please tell Marky-Mark that his cosmetic surgery came out great!

Nice pics and RR, OM. Recognize many of the places y'all visited...beautiful country to visit and ride in! :)

Hey. If I come up there for your Tech Day on the 1st, can y'all paint my bike red, and put a bigger tank on it?
Would you be looking for a flat or satin finish...I'll start gathering supplies. ;)

--G

Nice pics. Blah blah blah... ;)

Thanks for the previous of Moki Dugway... will be experiencing that soon as well as a few other places including Ouray. Will send you a postcard. :p