FJR to Super Tenere, regrets, pluses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
FJR owners that purchased a Super Tenere, any requets, concerns, things you would do differently? I am thinking seriously of buying one next year because I see it as an almost perfect bike for my type of riding, which is all slab, lotsa miles. Help me firm up my decision. Thanks all. ps I love my 06 fjr with 95k miles.

I'm not sure why you would want to move from an feejer to a super10 if you do all slab and lotsa miles. I think the super10 could certainly work for that since it seems like a great bike but isn't it designed as an adventure bike and therefore sacrifices some highway comfort for rough/off road capability?

I mean if I had a choice between my feejer and a super10 to do the dalton highway I would probably take the super10 hands down... but for a cross country slab ride I would pick the feej.

The S10 is really in its element on very rough roads with potholes, broken pavement, very tight corners, and elevation changes. When it comes to smooth straight roads and/or sweeping curves the FJR rules. I didn't sell my FJR to buy a S10 but if I had I would have been very disappointed for the vast majority of the riding I do. If I had it all to do over again, I would not have participated in the PDP because it just locked me in and turned out to be a lot of confusion...and the big carrot...first $$$, first delivery, did not happen at all. If there was any priority at all, it was with the dealers who used the deposit schedule to determine which bikes got assembled first, a difference of 1-3 days at most. I made my deposit on September 2 and some buyers who made March deposits were riding their bikes before my dealer even received mine...and that didn't impact me at all because I was not in town...but I would have been if the dealers had known the bikes were being delivered.

I have 160k on my '04 FJRA and 6600 on the Super Tenere. For the first 6 weeks, the FJR just sat on the tender while I rode the S10, then last weekend I did a 2400 mile ride, including a 24 hour endurance rally where I rode a bit over 1k in 20 hours while collecting bonus locations.

The FJR is effortless at speed, and in making speed. The S10 works to make speed, and sucks gas down at a significantly faster rate as you go over 65 mph. The FJR is much more consistent in mpg. The FJR has much better weather protection. The S10 has a more upright riding position that puts very little weight on the wrists, compared to the FJR.

At this point the FJR is completely dialed in, has a fully custom suspension and a custom Russell seat. It's frankly more comfortable than the S10, which is why I took it to the rally last weekend. Not to mention the fuel cell.

The FJR will likely go away. I really can't afford two bikes and I love the ergos and extra 4" of ground clearance on the S10. Part of why I bought it was because I was often taking the FJR places I probably shouldn't have been. I don't remember seeing singletrack in the FJR ads...

I'll miss the steady mpg, adjustable screen, better weather protection and more compliant, (custom GP), suspension of the FJR. I will need to get a custom seat on the S10, and I have a larger screen plus the oem side wings, but may need to buy an adjustable bracket for the screen. I don't think I'll really miss the power, as the S10 will move out nicely and it has been no big deal to pass or cruise at ton+ speeds. The suspension isn't fully dialed in yet, and I need to work on learning how to set it up better for me.

I will enjoy going places w/o a second thought on the S10. I will enjoy not worrying about the Alaska trip next year and the Haul road. I will probably end up adding a fuel cell, because you can burn though the 6.1 gallons of fuel in 200 miles or less with a head wind and interstate speeds.

Not sure why you want a S10 if your riding is all slab. The S10 is only a small amount lighter and while it is stable in the corners, the FJR is better at burning up the miles and hammering the twisties. Do keep in mind that the S10 does not come with bags, so you're going to be spending anywhere from $800 to $2k on bags and a rack to hold them. Tire sizes are different for the S10 and many of the options you're used to for Sport-Touring rubber are not available in the front tire size of 110/80R19. The rear 150/70R17 is easier to find in more options.

slab, lotsa miles. I love my 06 fjr with 95k miles.
I don't have a S10, but I think you already know which may be better for your riding style by the description of your riding environment. Better wind/rain/cold weather protection on a FJR if lot of miles slabbing it.

...I'll miss the steady mpg, adjustable screen, better weather protection... and I have a larger screen plus the oem side wings, but may need to buy an adjustable bracket for the screen...
Nice Review... you might look at MadStad_Aeroflow for other Windshield options:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210188&page=84

https://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1971/.f

Aluminum Adapter Plate and adjustable RoboBrackets - $199.95

Here is the MadStad ST Link:

https://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.3189/.f Due out sometime this month

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OC and MC, those were the responses I was looking for. My interest in the dual sport, s10, is primarily the length of travel in the suspension to smooth out the bumps in the road. The write ups I have read, the comparisions, have rated the s10 as a super slab bike but too heavy for off road activity. The r1200gs actually came in first in the sport touring comparision but I have concerns about the beemers reliability and cost of ownership. I already know the fjr is a great machine and I am just looking to the future. I don't know how many of us buy the same bike again no matter how good it may have been. I spent alot of money dialing in my fjr, traxxion suspension, mayer seat, heli triple and risers, etc, so I am no rush to try to move it and with the miles on it I probably won't be able to sell it but that is ok because it runs better than when it was new. When the time comes I will know what I will be buying rather than start the process of researching what I should get. I demo'd a multistrada last weekend and that is an awesome machine but cost of ownership and reliability also come into play. Nothing like a good old Yamaha. ps I owned a goldwing 03 put 40k miles on in 18 months. great bike but had it when my wife rode on the back. now she rides her own.

Nice Review... you might look at MadStad_Aeroflow for other Windshield options:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210188&page=84

https://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1971/.f

Aluminum Adapter Plate and adjustable RoboBrackets - $199.95
There is a comparable bracket available now from various vendors as well. IIRC, $165. I have a CalSci Med size screen, but have been waiting for it to cool off to try. I rather like the oem screen for warm/hot weather. Thanks for the links.

My interest in the dual sport, s10, is primarily the length of travel in the suspension to smooth out the bumps in the road.
Try and get a ride on a S10 at some point. It's a pretty firm ride. Yes, there is more travel, but my FJR is better by far at sucking up the bumps in the roadway. Granted, I'm still trying to figure out the suspension magic. (It was easy when I was in Oregon City, I just swung by GP and said "Hey Dave, help me set this up!" He understands that stuff so much better than I do.

I'm just thinking that if plush is what you want, I don't think the Tenere is going to be it.

I miss the velvety hammer of the FJR's motor. The S10 is quick enough, but not the rheostat-smooth electric torque control of the FJR. We were at a gas stop today and when an FJR accelerated up the highway on-ramp next to us, I could just feel that rush of power. At least for a second.

But as to the original question, I don't regret buying the S10 a bit.

It needs to be tailored to the owner like most any bike. The stock S10 windshield didn't work for me. But for long distances with the tall windshield, I don't feel as confined as I did on the FJR and the sit-up position is easier for me to do long distances. I arrive without the knee kinks, a more relaxed back, etc. The S10 will hustle down a twisty road quite well, obviously, the FJR is better for the job in the way that it launches out of corners and has more aggressive tires. An R1 could beat either.

I don't worry about tupperware anymore and don't have second thoughts like on the FJR about gravel or off-road. Going on gravel or off-road means buying a skid plate and bars, but that is just part of equipping it for how it'll be used. Turn off the traction control and you can wheelie it up onto a log if you have a plate. Never did well at wheeling a Beemer like that. Most people will probably never go off road, so those folks won't care. My FJR equivalent is that so few FJR owners kept the bike totally stock, feeling the need for a windshield, seat, etc. Again, it's just prepping the bike for the mission. Lessee, I paid a bit less than 12 large for the bike and about $440 for the bars and plate. It actually doesn't matter how much more a stripped GS would still cost, I'd still prefer riding the Yamaha.

The only biggie to me that I can't change is that the S10 could benefit from a crawler first gear on trails. I also miss the flash to pass switch from my FJR. (I got it off a European wreck and spliced the harness to install.)

A few less pounds would be nice, and to have the weight of the KTM Adventure would be ideal, but the seat-pegs-bars-ground relation of the S10 is FAR better, so I'll live with the extra pounds. How much more does it weigh? With fluids, it's between the R12GS and the GSA. The reality is that between the weight and proportions, I find it easier to get turned around when 3-point turning around on a single track in the woods.

With some mods I think the s10 will take you across country quite well, not as effortlessly as a FJR but it is quite capable. The torque makes it a lot of fun in the twisties and if you pass a tantalizing dirt road you can explore without a second thought.

If I was going to use mine for lots of miles I would do much the same mods as I did to my FJR. Things like seat, different screen, throttle lock, etc.

Like has been said see if you can ride one first.

I have both as of right now. I'll echo a lot of what OCFJR said; as I said elsewhere here, the FJR is "effortlessly fast", while on the Super Ten you are more aware of your speed, and what it takes to get there. Also, for me, the stock windshield is causing some buffeting issues; I need to lean it back a bit to get smooth air over my helmet. I run the seat in the low position; if I went to the high position, it would solve this issue, but cause others (namely lack of inseam length on my part) that are harder to surmount.

At the time I picked up the Super Ten, I hadn't ridden the FJR for a bit. I was able to do a couple of hundred miles, then was out on the road for work again. I rode the ST the day I got back, then the FJR the next, and it was like learning how to ride all over again! My FJR has the stock seat and bars, and the seating position on the FJR is more "sport bike" whereas the ST is more like a mountain bike. The CoG is extremely low on the ST, which makes the FJR seem much more top heavy than it is. For me, the ST is much easier tipping into corners, and holding the line through. I also like the leverage afforded by the bars on the ST, they are so much wider that my arms are flatter when sitting (though I could use about an inch more height when standing). Bottom line, if I could only keep one bike, it would be the ST. Thankfully, I don't need to make that choice, as the rush of linear acceleration afforded by the right grip on the FJR is addicting (and better for dealing with the morons they give driver's licenses to in AZ).

I made the mistake of riding a S10 at my local dealer this morning. That bike is great! I want one, but not for replacement of the feej, in addition to. I took the S10 down some local gravel county roads and that traction control is slicker than snot when you are hammering down the gravel.

Since I just bought my FJR this year, finances need to re-coup for a bit, but in a couple years I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a used one. If this bike would have been in the showrooms in February when I bought my FJR it would have been a very, very difficult choice, although if I got a S10 I'd outfit it with knobbies and run dirt/fire roads as much as possible and would still want the FJR for cross country pavement trips and tearing up the canyons. I just need to win the lotto, that will solve all my problems!

I love both bikes. Sold my fjr for the s10. I wanted more leg room, less lean and the 6th gear out of the s10 and have no regrets. I got a larger windsheild and adjustable bracket and plan to use my s10 for hwy/adv touring. I used my fjr for longer hwy rides, but rode a 950sm for in town or hot weather. Now I plan to sell the 950sm and keep just the s10. It handles decent, is not as hot as the fjr, feels lighter and better suites my 6'1" frame. It is not as quick or as fast as the fjr.

So here we are, almost a year and more than 21,000 miles later. Just finished a month to Alaska and back, so thought I'd put down a couple of thoughts since the new-ness is gone and since I briefly got back on a FJR a week ago and have been on a couple more BMW 12GS's.

119ef1d6.jpg

For context, the changes I've made to mine aren't very far from stock. All mods can be found on the Super Tenere forum, where a bunch of us ex-FJR types have moved:

Had a great tall windshield that broke just before the Alaska trip and attached photos. :angry: Road debris was thrown up into the tall one, so had to use the stocker.

Shorted clutch lever wire with a couple inches of wire, which removed the ECU engine power limit for the bottom 3 gears. Basically it is a "free" 15 hp boost. :yahoo:

Heidenau K60 tires. These are THE tire for this bike! Great on dirt, a blast in the curves, and people are running 15-20,000 miles. I've got 11,000 with LOTS of tread left.

Welded aluminum hard bags by Muffintop Industries on SW-Motech racks, and Givi 52L top box.

Seat slope mod (a set of Home Depot bumpers for less than $2 to flatten the seat.)

SW-Motech crash bars, now integrity tested on both sides.

SW-Motech bash plate, also tested.

Home cooked GPS mount above instrument cluster for Garmin Montana 600.

The bottom line is that the move to the Super Tenere was still right and it's a keeper.

9646cbaa.jpg

Getting back on the FJR, the engine still has that addictive smooth rheostat power, and once moving the bike still had the great balance. It's still a great bike and I love the looks.

But the modded Tenere is no slouch and I'd MUCH rather do long distance on it, especially with the upright seating. Running gravel, wet wood bridges, etc are things that I did but did not enjoy with the FJR. The Tenere looks forward to them. The couple of times I've tipped it, nothing broke. No drama. Picked it up and rode off. I little Rustoleum gloss black on the crash bar and you'd never know.

Standing on the Tenere pegs is part of LD to me and much more natural on the Tenere. My lady prefers the big flat Tenere rear seat, calling the bike the 3rd member of the family.

ab9da543.jpg

As in my earlier post, the Tenere is heavier than I think they could have made it, but feels no heavier or more top heavy in use than any GS I've been on with boxes. While a stripped GS does feel lighter, though not by lots, did I mention a riding buddy's 12GS just ate a transmission at 36,000 miles? Or of the two I know with oil on the clutches? The first thing we saw when pulling into Hyder, Alaska, last month was a 1150GS with the tool kit out and side cover removed. I still rent the BMWs and they ride fine but their lack of reliability still bothers me. I never ever have a concern on any of the Yamahas.

This thing ROCKS!

:)

fa184b27.jpg

Latest posts