Appalacian Camping Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that will stop me from attending is if the dates conflict with CFR.

I voted for the state park thing, but don't really care. Proximity to fuel and food is more important than whether I can drink straight from the bottle/can or need to pour it into a glass.

Mark, if you orginize it they will come :dribble: . I plan on being there again wherever it ends up being...and if you decide not to put another camping meet together...I'll see ya in SE Ohio.

Quite frankly. I am surprised at the answers so far to the alcohol question. At the State Parks, if we have a sizeable group, we may receive a good bit of scrutiny from the park ranger regarding alcohol...and some of it may get tossed - or we may get tossed.

Just to let you know, the 2 parks I am looking at are Breaks Interstate...and The Iron Horse. I have visited Breaks and am impressed by the facilities. I have not visited The Iron Horse but have had high recommendations from those I trust...and have had prelim. email contact with the operators and they have been very helpful. Quite frankly, if The Iron Horse was up in the Breaks area...it would be a slam dunk. From an organizer's standpoint, there is something very nice about having mcy specific campground, cabins, and breakfasts and dinners served on site.

But before I go ahead and further contact them, I am just curious how many are really excited about the idea...maybe the idea has waned over the past year or two...maybe not. I just want to know how many of you think the idea is still worthwhile.

I'd like to say I will be doing this for sure, but that would be a lie. I am about 85% right now...trying to work all the vacation together and stuff...I'll be following this thread for your guys' responses and feedback as to whether I pursue this deal...hope it works out, cuz it was great fun last time... :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite frankly. I am surprised at the answers so far to the alcohol question. At the State Parks, if we have a sizeable group, we may receive a good bit of scrutiny from the park ranger regarding alcohol...and some of it may get tossed - or we may get tossed.

Just to let you know, the 2 parks I am looking at are Breaks Interstate...and The Iron Pony. I have visited Breaks and am impressed by the facilities. I have not visited The Iron Pony but have had high recommendations from those I trust...and have had prelim. email contact with the operators and they have been very helpful. Quite frankly, if The Iron Pony was up in the Breaks area...it would be a slam dunk. From an organizer's standpoint, there is something very nice about having mcy specific campground, cabins, and breakfasts and dinners served on site.

But before I go ahead and further contact them, I am just curious how many are really excited about the idea...maybe the idea has waned over the past year or two...maybe not. I just want to know how many of you think the idea is still worthwhile.

I'd like to say I will be doing this for sure, but that would be a lie. I am about 85% right now...trying to work all the vacation together and stuff...I'll be following this thread for your guys' responses and feedback as to whether I pursue this deal...hope it works out, cuz it was great fun last time... :clapping:
Iron Horse ???

https://ironhorsenc.com/index.html

I've wanted to go out there for the last couple. Not likely to attend this year due to time restrictions and NAFO preparations but sure hope the meet doesn't die.

Janet and I are planning a cross country ride next year to include NAFO, so the timing probably isn't good for us. Otherwise we would be there! I loved last years, but didn't make this years because we were in Scotland. We do several camping trips in the area throughout the year. It is definitely nice to see people that you don't get to see too often. Come on Wheatie! It is tradition now. Third annual. Bring it on!

...but sure hope the meet doesn't die.
A periodic camping meet does not have to meet every year to remain active. But if I can swing the time...I will do it, as a camping meet is fun whether there's five or fifty. I have never equated numbers with success. I equate a good time with success.

That being said, it's nice to know whether we are looking to organize for five or fifty. If it's five, I'm heading over to Breaks, because that is an area I've rarely been and the roads and scenery look pretty tasty. If its' fifty, then I'm looking at The Iron Horse as that's motorcycle specific and has amenities that a large and varied group would be most happy with imo.

Janet and I are planning a cross country ride next year to include NAFO, so the timing probably isn't good for us. Otherwise we would be there! I loved last years, but didn't make this years because we were in Scotland. We do several camping trips in the area throughout the year. It is definitely nice to see people that you don't get to see too often. Come on Wheatie! It is tradition now. Third annual. Bring it on!
I understand that those attending NAFO most likely won't be attending this meet. It will likely be during the later half of May or first week of June.

Truth be told, I'm more of a cabin pussy...but this is one event I roll out the tent and see what everybody else's set up looks like. Besides, Moosehead brings a few beers and Roadrunner has a great cooking setup, so it's fun to see the experienced campers do it.

Plus, you get the riding and campfire at the end of the day with your buds...

Whats with all the alcohol related questions, is it really that important? And if booze is that important, maybe one should just stay home. :blink: Or maybe you could just set up the tent at the bar/liquor store :lol: IIRC there are a few dry counties around that area, but that never stopped anyone from drinkin. Are you plannin' a bike rally, or a booze cruize? What I'm gettin' at is, for me it's more about the get together than what I'm drinkin'.

Whats with all the alcohol related questions, is it really that important?..
To some people, having a beer after a day's ride is good stuff.

This is not a booze cruise...but if there were 40-50 attendees in a campground having a brew...that may garner more Ranger attention than say 4 or 5 people in an isolated site.

Therefore, I'm asking the question. Is having a beer important enough to you that you'd like the possibility of having one after the day's ride...if it isn't (which is what the poll seems to show so far) then I guess I'll decide that a state park is in the mix.

However, if I'm organizing a group meet in a state park that doesn't allow alcohol...then the allowed behaviour is gonna be different than say at the Iron Horse.

This poll is all about finding out what people want and expect...part of the work of organizing these meets.

Whats with all the alcohol related questions, is it really that important?..
To some people, having a beer after a day's ride is good stuff.

This is not a booze cruise...but if there were 40-50 attendees in a campground having a brew...that may garner more Ranger attention than say 4 or 5 people in an isolated site.

Therefore, I'm asking the question. Is having a beer important enough to you that you'd like the possibility of having one after the day's ride...if it isn't (which is what the poll seems to show so far) then I guess I'll decide that a state park is in the mix.

However, if I'm organizing a group meet in a state park that doesn't allow alcohol...then the allowed behaviour is gonna be different than say at the Iron Horse.

This poll is all about finding out what people want and expect...part of the work of organizing these meets.
It's been my experience, on past meets, that YES....there will be drinking....and lots of it. :dribble: Come on' Wheatie that should be a givin'.... Is'nt it easier for planning purposes to just include drinking............ That way if you want to, you can..... or not. Not tryin to give you a hard time, just sayin most people do like to unwind with an adult beverage. Now if'in I did'nt know any better, what you should be lookin for is a campground that has a bar/liquor store within stumbling distance. :yahoo: :clapping:

Sounds like you've planned a few of these before Al...I defer to you.

Edit: Besides the sarcastic remark above...sorry, can't help myself sometimes...It sounds like we should just be at a place where you are not hassled if you have a beer in your hand....or I should say, if 30-50 people have a beer in their hand..in a crowd having loud boisterous conversations after a great day's ride.

Therefore, if there looks like there will be more than say 10, then we'll probably be pitching tents at The Iron Horse. If it's just a small group, then over at Breaks Interstate Park.

Your spot on with your thoughts about NAFO attendees. I'm in that camp. I'll be blowing all my vacation days riding out to Hyder.. er, I mean Castlegar :)

But, if for some reason I'm unable to make it, I'll be doing a tour of the best of PA, OH, WV, VA, TN, NC and probably GA. With the WCM (Wheatness Camping Meet) somewhere in there.

Sounds like you've planned a few of these before Al...I defer to you.

Edit: Besides the sarcastic remark above...sorry, can't help myself sometimes...It sounds like we should just be at a place where you are not hassled if you have a beer in your hand....or I should say, if 30-50 people have a beer in their hand..in a crowd having loud boisterous conversations after a great day's ride.

Therefore, if there looks like there will be more than say 10, then we'll probably be pitching tents at The Iron Horse. If it's just a small group, then over at Breaks Interstate Park.
I'm sure whatever you pick will be just fine. We promise to all be on our best behavior.......kinda......mostly........maybe. :D

Brother Mark, I voted 95% certain that I will attend on my FJR 'Miss Lucy Liu', if I was positive that the dates for the Appalachian Camping don't step on the dates of my NAFO / CFR 2012 and Alaska Run I would have voted 100%! There is a beautiful hot red headed Nurse from New Brunswick I absolutely have to see on 6/21/12 in Castlegar, British Columbia!

PS: I just can't believe you asked an Irishman if he wanted alcohol or not! Ha, ha; you're funny!