Last Trip of the Season!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Due to work schedules, I couldn't make it to EOM this year but tomorrow I am headed to Florida via the Blueridge etc. Plan is to leave early tomorrow AM and see if we can make it to Danbury CT for overnight. From there, we are planning to head down and take Skyline Drive to the Blueridge, up through Smokey Mtn Nat Park. (Riding with a friend on a GW) Will run the Dragon (just because its there) and the Cherohala before making our way down to south Florida. My bike will spend the winter there in storage and I am flying back. (Maybe I'll have a chance to visit it sometime over the winter!)

Other than staying in Danbury the first night, I don't have any particular schedule. We will ride, stop for photo ops, eat etc so I don't really know how far we will get each day. According to Google Maps, its around 6.5 hours from Danbury to the top of Skyline. Another 3 hr (without stops) to run Skyline to the beginning of the Blueridge.

I guess the main point of the post is regarding accommodations. I don't know whether we will make it all the way through Skyline or not on day 2. Are there places to stay along the route through Shenandoah NP? Can anyone recommend something along the way or something in the vicinity of Waynesboro? I am thinking we will be running a fairly sedate pace with lots of stops to look at stuff. I won't even attempt to plan beyond this because I have no idea how much ground we will end out covering over the next couple of days or what side trips we will make.

Part two of the post - The Cherohala ends out in Tellico Plains. The fastest route to Boynton Beach Florida is 13 hours of slab running through Atlanta. I was wondering if anyone had a recommended alternate route. I could make it anywhere up to two days of riding - say 20 hours at a reasonably sedate pace (lots of stops etc.) I hope to get there with enough time to do the Florida Keys before I have to return home.

Thanks

Ross

Due to work schedules, I couldn't make it to EOM this year but tomorrow I am headed to Florida via the Blueridge etc. Plan is to leave early tomorrow AM and see if we can make it to Danbury CT for overnight. From there, we are planning to head down and take Skyline Drive to the Blueridge, up through Smokey Mtn Nat Park. (Riding with a friend on a GW) Will run the Dragon (just because its there) and the Cherohala before making our way down to south Florida. My bike will spend the winter there in storage and I am flying back. (Maybe I'll have a chance to visit it sometime over the winter!)

Other than staying in Danbury the first night, I don't have any particular schedule. We will ride, stop for photo ops, eat etc so I don't really know how far we will get each day. According to Google Maps, its around 6.5 hours from Danbury to the top of Skyline. Another 3 hr (without stops) to run Skyline to the beginning of the Blueridge.

I guess the main point of the post is regarding accommodations. I don't know whether we will make it all the way through Skyline or not on day 2. Are there places to stay along the route through Shenandoah NP? Can anyone recommend something along the way or something in the vicinity of Waynesboro? I am thinking we will be running a fairly sedate pace with lots of stops to look at stuff. I won't even attempt to plan beyond this because I have no idea how much ground we will end out covering over the next couple of days or what side trips we will make.

Part two of the post - The Cherohala ends out in Tellico Plains. The fastest route to Boynton Beach Florida is 13 hours of slab running through Atlanta. I was wondering if anyone had a recommended alternate route. I could make it anywhere up to two days of riding - say 20 hours at a reasonably sedate pace (lots of stops etc.) I hope to get there with enough time to do the Florida Keys before I have to return home.

Thanks

Ross
Sounds like a great trip Ross. Plenty of places to stay but you usually have to ride a few miles off the BRP. Most times the roads off the BRP would rival the best of the Dragon for curves. I have never ridden the highway into Atlanta because I've heard you really have to plan your times because of traffic. Ride safe. George

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross,

When you get to Florida, toss me a PM and let's see if we can't find a cold beer and hot sandwich somewhere.

Ross,

When you get to Florida, toss me a PM and let's see if we can't find a cold beer and hot sandwich somewhere.
Thanks RH!

I have no idea about schedules at this time - probably won't get a chance. Travelling with someone and his schedule is pretty specific.

I am expecting to be back to Florida in March (conference in Orlando). I am planning to take some extra days while I am there and you are pretty close to Orlando. I hope to have a little extra time available to do some Florida sightseeing then.

Cheers

I can personally say... yes it is a great road. Spent the weekend in May this year in Lexington VA and enjoyed riding on it a some others in the area.

[quote name='RossKean' timestamp='1319110887' post='907695'

There are 2 lodges on Skyline, Skyland and Big Meadows, probably already full this time of the year, though you might get lucky on a weekday. Number for Shenandoah reservations: 800/999/4714. If you get off at the end of Skyline and go west on I64 to exit 94 (Rt. 340), there's a nice Comfort Inn https://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-waynesboro-virginia-VA376?sid=xYnUJM.CX3COggct.2&sarea=&sname=Waynesboro&sstate=VA&scountry=US&sradius=&slat=38.06547&slon=-78.89098&schain=CI&exp=&scity=&sort=&type=&map=n&nadult=1&nchild=0&city_code=SHD&sstate_country=

Shoney's restaurant and gas right there, too.

If you get as far as mile 85 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Peaks of Otter Lodge (https://www.peaksofotter.com/) is right on the Parkway there. It also gets crowded this time of year. Also, Peaks has no TVs in the rooms, WiFi, phones in the rooms or cell service. Or you can go east on 43 to Bedford to a Days Inn there.

I'm riding the Parkway now, currently at Laurel Springs, NC, there's some beautiful foliage this year.

Just made it back today - 8 days after departure. 2685 miles from New Brunswick, slabbing it down to Front Royal to take Skyline through Shenandoah NP. Rode the Blue Ridge Parkway to the end and then up through Great Smokey Mtn NP to do the Dragon down to the Cherohala. Unfortunately, it was pretty much slab from there to Boynton Beach Florida where my bike will hibernate until the spring - unless I mange a mid-winter visit.

Ended out cutting my typical season by about 5 weeks or so but there is no way I would have managed the miles or smiles I did on this trip during dreary November in the northeast.

Ross

I did not see even one FJR on this entire trip!

By the way, a car tire does OK on the BRP/Dragon etc. Maybe not as confidence-inspiring as a fresh moto tire, but tolerable. Don't know whether the tire is getting broken in or if I have retrained myself. The second part of the "experiment" will be to switch back when this one is used up and see if I end out wondering how I managed to put up with the POS for a year!