Triumph Explorer.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donal

Reaction score
Triumph have unveiled a shaft drive, cruise controlled, 1215 cc, on/off road tourer for 2012. Some details here Glad I didn't go for a Tenere :rolleyes:

Don

Nice looking bike. Too bad they don't have enough dealers around the country to really compete with Yamaha.

I've been salivating over the pictures of that thing since I found them yesterday. VERY nice looking bike, with what looks like some very smart and excellent design features for rider comfort and convenience. I especially liked this:

High-capacity generator
Class leading 950w generator allows the simultaneous running of multiple electrical accessories, including heated rider and pillion seats, heated grips, high power fog lights and a top box with integrated power supply for charging on the move. The bike also comes fitted with a power socket situated close to the ignition, which can be used to power a GPS unit or items of heated clothing.
Definitely looking forward to taking one of these out for a test ride soon!

Too

big

fat

tall

many cylinders

much

me
+1

But the 800XC is still in the hunt. It's still a big pig for doing anything other than gravel roads, but I still think it will be my next 'touring' bike.

Me likey...
Oh come on now Andy this is a Man's Moto, please just stick to your Schwinn! I do fully agree with Don Carver and Herr Petey, in not understanding how both Yamaha and Triumph could not have controlled the immense weight on their new big trailies.

It is no mystery to anyone Triumph and Yamaha had their sights set on the BMW R1200GS as the machine to beat for sales. So if they were starting with a clean sheet of engineering design, why did they build dual sports 60-70 lbs. heavier than the GS?

As much as it gives me major pains to agree with Bungie, he is right on regarding the Triumph 800XC being the best combination street bike and dual sport out there right now. My best BMW Buddy Uri Schumm is going to buy a Triumph X800C in 2012.

It is no mystery to anyone Triumph and Yamaha had their sights set on the BMW R1200GS as the machine to beat for sales. So if they were starting with a clean sheet of engineering design, why did they build dual sports 60-70 lbs. heavier than the GS?
The price to pay for having liquid cooled engines. Or they could just stick the heads out in the air at funny angles. ;)

The price to pay for having liquid cooled engines. Or they could just stick the heads out in the air at funny the proper angles. ;)
Fixed.

I think the Rider test had them at the same weight.
I saw that on Page 38 Ray of the January 2012 issue, but that has to be a typographic error; it looks to me like they just copied it mistakenly (how can it be exactly the same!), also they tested the 2011 R1200GS Adventure with the 8.7 gallon tank.

As you know I worked for many years for Metro Mechanical, Inc. in Phoenix, I headed up the Pipefitting Division and my Buddy Dave Cooley headed up the Plumbing Division. When Dave got his new 2005 BMW R1200GS we put it on our certified scales at MMI and it weighed 515 lbs. and my 1996 BMW R1100GS weighed 540 lbs.

We were trying to figure out the weight difference between the two motos, since BMW was claiming that the new R12GS was 50 lbs. lighter than the older R11GS models. BMW Bavarian Bullshit: Only a 25 lb. difference between the two GS Beemer Boxers.

Last edited by a moderator: