v-strom hand guards on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fido T. Dog

Reaction score
I have a questions for those who have put the new v-Strom hand guards on a FJR(2010).

When you get the kit form a Susuki dealer, it comes with fasteners to fit the V-strom.

Do the same fasteners work with the FJR or do I need to sourse others?

Thank you.

When you get the kit form a Susuki dealer, it comes with fasteners to fit the V-strom.

They work, but the journals on the pivot pin for the calipers (levers) are slightly undersized so the calipers will be slightly looser. I've been running with the Suzuki hardware for nearly 3 years now. The loose calipers don't bother me in the least, but I suspect their wearing out the bushings abnormally.

I have been using the handguards for almost 4 years and use wire ties to hold the guards in place. In the summer I cut them off and then reinstall in the winter.

(semi) thread-jack: Does a Throttlemeister still work/function with the handguards?

I have been using the handguards for almost 4 years and use wire ties to hold the guards in place. In the summer I cut them off and then reinstall in the winter.
Wire ties, now your talking my language.

Do you have any pictures?
+1. Would love to see pics to make them a seasonal item.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a questions for those who have put the new v-Strom hand guards on a FJR(2010).

Thank you.
You can ge the complete kit, hardward and handguards from FJR Goodies. I installed them on my 2009, they work and look great.

https://www.fjrgoodies.net/VStrom_Handguards_p/handguards.htm

They even include a link to the FJRTech site for installation instructions.

You can ge the complete kit, hardward and handguards from FJR Goodies. I installed them on my 2009, they work and look great.

They even include a link to the FJRTech site for installation instructions.
Thanks for the good info. I was about to order all the parts separately and got annoyed and gave up.

Anyway, I ordered these and ordered a couple of push-pin thinggies to replace the ones I lost -- what a great site.

Dennis

I have seen the post with the V-strom / FJR install. This looks like an earlier model based on the handle bars. I am working on a 2010, refereed to as a GenII I think.

The fit on the left side seems off a bit off.

The more pictures the better.

There was mention of an install with Zip Ties. I would love to see that as well.

Thank you.

(semi) thread-jack: Does a Throttlemeister still work/function with the handguards?

+1. Would love to see pics to make them a seasonal item.
No the throttlemeister won't function as designed but I left mine on anyways. Seasonal item? Easy, install and removal takes 2 minutes ( 1 screw each side )

I have seen the post with the V-strom / FJR install. This looks like an earlier model based on the handle bars. I am working on a 2010, refereed to as a GenII I think.

The fit on the left side seems off a bit off.

The more pictures the better.

There was mention of an install with Zip Ties. I would love to see that as well.

Thank you.
The left side sits out pretty far if you use the factory mounting holes, I found this to be the case on my 09. I shaved the lever mounting side off flush and drilled new holes. Also, if you use a forstner bit to enlarge the outer grip hole, it make a clean round hole and is really quick.

have throttlemeister, so just leave the ends on the outside with no functional issues

I too have shaved them near the mounts so prevent any interferrence

In addition I installed on each of the guards two Garauld sheet metal wind blocks both top & bottom

6358747093_bb180b0522.jpg

Re throttlemeister, I've had these handguards on my 03 since they came out and have no problem with the throttlemeister integration on either bar end. I just trimmed the circle to fit properly between the grip and barend. I never take them off.

Re throttlemeister, I've had these handguards on my 03 since they came out and have no problem with the throttlemeister integration on either bar end. I just trimmed the circle to fit properly between the grip and barend. I never take them off.
I just installed the V-Strom guards a week ago on my '09 AE, using the FJRTech articles. Had no issue with anything until I realized that I had a virtual throttle lock on the right grip. It was getting dark when I finished tightening up things and didn't realize that the bar end forced the end of the guard against the grip preventing the throttle from moving freely. I put three small washers on the bar-end bolt and retightened it. End of problem. Not sure why no one else has ever mentioned this issue.

Ok, so now they also have a part# <57300-27822-291 DL650 HAND GUAR>, some advertise this as a "kit", some don't. Does that mean it comes with the hardware stated on FJRTech.com? Ordering everything listed at FJRTech.com comes to just under $100. The 2 bolts are $18/ea! ouch!

:unsure:

Here's my brain dump of the installation. I've been running with these for over a month now and they certainly make a difference. My heated gloves work better -- but I'm not going to bore you with the same stuff you read everywhere. I elaborate on installation.

Copied this link from above and it's where I got them; there's a link on the installation too that I reference below. Took over a week to get (I hate mail order!) everything should come within two days and free shipping! -- rant over. I'm over it.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30

The kit comes with:

* 2 plastic hand guards

* 2 combo shaped bolts -- with a screw hole in one end (sized to fit the phillips head screws described below) and 12mm hex on the other

* 4 washers

* 2 phillips head screws

* 2 shaped nuts

* 2 nylon nuts

The instructions in the link mentioned above talks about using a dremel; go ahead and follow that (but first get a fit test). The annoying thing is that it has no instructions on how to install the hand guards -- only some pictures and info about dremeling. Maybe a picture should be sufficient but I figured for some it's not so that's why I'm writing this.

I just read these instructions after having created them almost a month ago and I think they make sense -- but they make more sense with the parts in front of you and looking at your bike's brake and clutch levers. Hopefully they aren't too confusing.

Installation instructions:

* Note to yourself to do this one side at a time

* Remove the bolt which serves as the pivot for one of brake or clutch. This bolt has a flathead screw on the top and a 10mm nut on the bottom. Unscrew the nut (lefty loosey looking at the nut as if laying on the ground looking up at the nut). Then unscrew the screw part from the top.

* Immediately (because once that OEM bolt is out, if you move your hand even a little, the lever will get out of alignment and it will be tricky, but not that hard to get it back into the hole without first re-aligning it. If you do the swap quickly, there is less change of this happening) replace the OEM bolt mentioned in previous step with one of the combo bolts supplied in the kit. The hex side of the combo bolt shows on top. Note the OEM bolts are different in size -- specifically, the brake side is shorter. The kit came with two bolts of equal size. Also note that because the brake side OEM bolt is shorter, when I installed the bolt from the kit, it sticks up maybe 5mm too high.

* Insert one of the kit washers onto the down facing end of the kit bolt (that has already installed) and screw in a shaped nut (or the nylon nut -- not sure which is better); tighten with 10mm wrench while using 12mm socket on the top. Ensure the brake or clutch works (whichever side you're working on).

* Repeat this procedure on the other side.

So at this point, you're almost there. Also, from what I can see, you can leave the combo bolts installed like this permanently (or until you sell this farkle to raise money to buy another). This is also a good time to bag and tag your OEM bolts in case you want to use them later (with the OEM nut installed on the end and to note the shorter one is for the brake side).

* Next, we install the hand guards…

* First dremel or cut (refer to the pictures in the link) as you see fit to allow the ends of the hand guards to rest onto the bar ends. I didn't have a dremel so I just cut with a wire cutter until the shape was close enough. I figure I could add a little filler and maybe a rubber strip later to neaten things up.

* There are several pictures in the link above so you should be able to figure out which hand guard goes on which side. There is a hole on one side (the top side) of each hand guard. It is through this hole you thread one of the phillips head screws (with washer first) and then screw that into the hole in the hex side of the already installed combo bolt. To do this, just line the holes up after fitting the hand guard and use your phillips head screwdriver to drive the screws in.

Test that the hand guards don't hit anything or prevent anything from working -- e.g., braking works, clutching works, any throttle locks work, etc.

As noted before, you can't just squeeze the hand guard plastic between the bar end and the handlebar or the throttle will not return; so adjust accordingly. Also, I have grip puppies -- so that soft stuff cushions the plastic so there is zero rattle.

Dennis

Ok, so now they also have a part# <57300-27822-291 DL650 HAND GUAR>, some advertise this as a "kit", some don't. Does that mean it comes with the hardware stated on FJRTech.com? Ordering everything listed at FJRTech.com comes to just under $100. The 2 bolts are $18/ea! ouch!

:unsure:
Just get tht 'kit' from FJRGoodies. It will have everything you need including the DL1000 Hand Guards. I think the 650 uses a smaller guard (a friend has the 650 and he said he put the 1000 guards on it.) The 'kit' from FJRGoodies is about $79.00.

Latest posts