Lookout! NV, AZ, CA, OR, WA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6393

the Vixen of Vancouver Island
Reaction score
If one was to venture south with a couple trailer queen friends, would the weather be better on the west or east side of the mountains?

Would also appreciate some leads on a safe place to park a truck and trailer for a week or so.

tyvm

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Barb,

AZ by far will be a better choice weather wise and has some nice roads to offer, Devil's Highway (191), Oak Creek Canyon (89A between Sedona and Flag), etc... Ca side will still have snow on the passes, but Hwy 49 is usually open from end to end which can consume a few days or more if you sight see and we usually have a week or two of nice weather near the end of February. If you're above the fog (like we are :) )then you don't have to worry about poor visibility and days are usually clear and cool (like today) We have a place for your truck and trailer if you venture to the Central Cal foothills. Either side will be fun for ya! Gotta go, heading out on a ride. :yahoo:

Barb the SOCAL area always has good riding IMHO. The weather is never that cold, especially considering what you are used to and if you are staying around riding for a week you could always ride into AZ as well. Like CAJW said, Devils Highway is a must and there are many other good rides in AZ. In SOCAL you have all the twisties up in the LA area, border twisties down her in San Diego like the ride out from Otay Lakes through Campo and either on to the Desert and Borrego Springs or shorten it up into Julian for Apple Pie. Borrego by itself with a mix of Mesa Grande on the way is another good fun ride. Palomar Mountain is great too. There are a lot of choices in SOCAL thats all I have to say. Plus, you have the great group of folks in the SOCAL FJR Riders that would be more than happy to host some ride time while you are here. It'd be fun to get you and Michelle together but you gotta drag Tyler down with you as well. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Cali it is.........but oh wait BeeeemmerDon has not added his 26 comments yet........by the time he has finnished you will be deciding between Italy or Spain...

R

I'd go SoCal as a base camp. It's only 270 miles from Palm Springs to Phoenix or many other locations are less than a days ride from the SoCal area.

I've been thinking a self storage place may be the best place to park. Perhaps they will give you a good rate to park a truck and trailer for a week. It would be in a secure parking area and not on the streets.

Sounds like Cali it is.........but oh wait BeeeemmerDon has not added his 26 comments yet........by the time he has finnished you will be deciding between Italy or Spain...

R
Finnished??? Barb, you want to come to Arizona: Those California Cretins are all as queer as a three dollar bill and they are as ugly as Sin (except for johnny80s and Old Michael, of course). A total toss up for me between riding Italy or Spain, I love riding in both countries.

As I had mentioned in a previous post on another thread: I live on a cul-de-sac in a housing development that you could safely park a pickup sized vehicle; and, a three bike trailer on the street at. Never had a break in or any damage over the 22 years I have lived in Chandler.

I also love the riding in Southern California and SoCal does have some awesome roads, I was born in Orange in 1948 and started riding street in 1963. I do agree with Dave that SoCal has the most active FJR Forum Members, especially with the recent loss of Greg "Good2Go".

If you decide to park the rig over in SoCal, please consider yourself cordially invited to also spend some time over at Casa de Stanley. I've a spare bedroom and if you folks come over when I don't have custody of Son Seth, his bed is also available. And comfortable couches!

As Senorita muy Bonita Tyler has already stated, this'll be date dependent for me also. Son Seth (15) is on his Quarter Break from Junior High School from Saturday, March 10 through Monday, March 26. Not to say that Seth and I couldn't go riding along with you fine folks!

Just remember the farther south you go, the farther you'll have to drive that truck . . . :glare:

The coast (and coastal mountains) get pretty moderate winter weather much of the winter and spring, and nobody complains about them not being great m/c roads. I guess if the forecast is ugly when the time comes, you could keep driving south, if you realllllly had to.

It's possible we may have use of a warehouse in Redding for parking the units (one of those friend of a friend things, so not overly hopeful at this point...but ya never know; would get us riding sooner, which suits me much betta)

Don, if that falls thru, I'll give ya a call to discuss. Much appreciated

We're coming in search of sun, so heading south and/or over to visit beemerdons is hopefully doable. Depends on how much time we can all get off. Dragging lil missy Tyler along is priority!

It looks most likely mid-end of Feb, wrapping up maybe the 1st week of March at the latest.

Would love to hook up wth some of y'all for a visit/ride, and see some friends.

:)

what ever you choose, stay in the lower elevations, southern parts of these two states. You don't want any part of the mountians above 7500 feet in either place in eary spring. Snow is always a possibility then.

Sounds great Barb, looking forward to seeing you soon! Any interest among your crew in riding to Puerto Penasco or San Felipe, Mexico for a night or two?

Sounds great Barb, looking forward to seeing you soon! Any interest among your crew in riding to Puerto Penasco or San Felipe, Mexico for a night or two?

my compadres and I are, shall we say "easy", and looking for sun and fun.........so, I guess, ya!

my compadres and I are, shall we say "easy", and looking for sun and fun.........so, I guess, ya!
Mi Querida Senorita Barbara, mi Sobrino (my Nephew) is Senor Enrique Garza. La Familia Garza has a magnificent beach house south of San Felipe and north of Puertacitos on the Sea of Cortez (Guf of California) in Baja California Norte. Unlike mi illegitimate bastard Hijo (my Son) SkooterG, "Henry" is tall (tallest Mexican I have ever seen!), muy Guapo (handsome, his ears don't stick out!) and he is fully employed: City of Mesa, Arizona Fireman/EMT.

When I know the dates you are coming, I will see if Enrique can talk to his Tio Carlos y Tia Leticia in San Felipe about our renting the beach house for two nights. It is on una Playa Bonita (incredibly beautiful beach!).

DSC03038.jpg

And "Hank" rides the same moto as his Tio Chuy Viejo, una Roja BMW K1600GT; I just wish mi Hijo GreggieM was more like his cousin Enrique!

DSC03030.jpg

Presidents' Day in 2012 is on Monday, the 20th of February. If you were going to include a weekend so us working stiffs could join in, this would be a good weekend, imo. :D

Presidents' Day in 2012 is on Monday, the 20th of February. If you were going to include a weekend so us working stiffs could join in, this would be a good weekend, imo. :D

ah ha! good to know, thx!