Nose cone help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot5

Reaction score
2007 Gen II

I have all of the front bodywork pulled off to do some service and small repairs and now cannot get the nose cone installed. I've read the tutorial here (worked great to remove everything) and the service manual, no help. I can get it all the way on to about the last inch and then I'm stuck. I have the headlight adjusting cables run properly, I just cant lift it high enough to get to the wide part of the fairing to get the mirror mounts and the aluminum stays to slip through.

I have not changed anything that fits in the nose cone. Only had it off to put new double sided tape on the weatherstripping for the windshield arms. I'm stumped, been working on it for over an hour. If I keep going something is going to get damaged. Any tips or techniques that make this go smoothly?

Thank you.

I also found reassembly similarly difficult but an extra set of hands

made it easier. I probably couldn't have done it alone.

Had the nose off a while back so I could lube the windshield mechanism, which was 'shuddering' on retract.

iirc, the thing was indeed tricky to refit, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly which position I held my tongue at... :p

Seriously, take your time, don't force it, and try different angles. I think maybe tilting it forward, and sliding the lower part in first may help, as would an extra pair of hands, as suggested

I believe a second set of hands is a must, my wife was helping (she's a patient woman). I have been sliding the lower part on first but then can't lift it far enough to clear the mirror mounts. I know it fits, it came off of this bike, it has to go back on. I just don't have the procedure right yet.

Make sure the windshield arms are pulled through the slots in the nose assembly. If one has folded up inside, it will keep the nose from seating properly.

There are 2 pesky screws deep within the cone; each a inch or so from the light on each side that must be in tact, before it will fit snug.

Some, like my dealer tech, removed them, to make room in the cone; but forget to put them back on. Cone must still be attached to the

right and left top sides of the fairing...glove box and battery covering.

Sliding all three on as one piece....well you said you are following the tutorial already, so this may be repeating.

During my multiple remove/replace most all times it was the glove box wiring underneath that was bunching up and causing the entire assembly

to be off a bit...that is where the extra set of hands do the most good.

Good luck and be patient. And just when you get ready to heave and push, walk away and count to 30, then go at it again.

Got it. :yes: I was attacking it right all along, just needed to lift, wiggle, push, lift, wiggle, push and it finally slipped over. I had everything well taped and have no damage whatsoever. It's a close fit though, no room to spare at all. An extra 1/4 inch of clearance would sure make it less stressful.

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement.

Geez, another reason to stick with the Gen-I! Nose cowl, attached to headlight assembly, and with upper side fairings attached, just slides onto the front stay. Easy-Peasey!

Must be that compact one-moving-part windshield drive.