Please help me learn when to shift.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 06 FJR. Can someone please describe how to get a good time in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile? What RPM should I shift to the next gear. Any other tips for someone that doesn't know how to race at all?

Thank you for any help.

for-a-good-time-call-sheniqua.jpg

Sheniqua, 'niqua, who can I turn to?

You give me something I can hold onto

I know you think I'm like the others before

Who saw your name and number on the wall

Sheniqua, I got your number,

I need to make you mine.

Sheniqua, don't change your number,

Na-Fi-Fo-Fo-Fo-Ni-Fi

Na-Fi-Fo-Fo-Fo-Ni-Fi

Hello, I have an 06 FJR. Can someone please describe how to get a good time in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile? What RPM should I shift to the next gear. Any other tips for someone that doesn't know how to race at all?

Thank you for any help.
Hi Sean

Welcome to the forum, and to the feejer! Sadly, you have posted your not unreasonable question on a Friday, which is a day when less-than-critical questions are typically responded to with light-hearted and often irrelevant humour.

Please don't be too annoyed! :unsure:

Seriously, to obtain minimum (best) drag-race times it's considered best to shift slightly after peak torque/hp, for pretty much any vehicle.

Please note that the FJR accelerates very nicely indeed, but really it is a sport tourer, and is designed and best suited for semi-spirited riding on twisty roads and long-distance touring.

:bike:

Of course, *any* time on an FJR is a good time! :p

Missin' it real bad right now, because my 7oo m driveway is a sheet of ice, and the bike is in winter storage mode :cryingsmiley:

Seriously, to obtain minimum (best) drag-race times it's considered best to shift slightly after peak torque/hp, for pretty much any vehicle.
Well, which is it? Slightly after peak TQ, or slightly after peak HP?

Actually, neither is correct. The best shift point is the point at which the next highest gear begins to accelerate harder than the current gear. It's different per gear. Here's some details: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108817

I have some nicer data/graphs than what I have in that post. I'll look for it later and post some actual speed/RPM numbers for the shift points.

Please note that the FJR accelerates very nicely indeed, but really it is a sport tourer, and is designed and best suited for semi-spirited riding on twisty roads and long-distance touring.
There's nothing wrong with enjoying its acceleration. Even though it is a sport-tourer that soaks up miles well, it still puts down respectable 1/4 mile times. My best so far is 10.82s @ 127mph (although I have slip-ons and a modified air intake). And I enjoyed the ride to/from the drag strip.

Can someone please describe how to get a good time ...
How to get a good time?

I thought Fred W nailed it. Why would someone vote down his post?
Not PC? Not diversity sensitive? Or maybe I revealed their phone number? :p

8 6 7 5 3 0 9
Imagine being saddled with that phone number?

It would be pure hell, all the constant phone calls from the drag racer wannabes, looking for a good time. ;)

(at least someone cancelled out my negative juju)

I must admit that that was one of the oddest questions from a 3 post newby on a Friday in a really long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best time was a 9.5. She woulda been a 10 but I only had 8 beers.

Actually, neither is correct. The best shift point is the point at which the next highest gear begins to accelerate harder than the current gear. It's different per gear. Here's some details: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108817

I have some nicer data/graphs than what I have in that post. I'll look for it later and post some actual speed/RPM numbers for the shift points.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying its acceleration. Even though it is a sport-tourer that soaks up miles well, it still puts down respectable 1/4 mile times. My best so far is 10.82s @ 127mph (although I have slip-ons and a modified air intake). And I enjoyed the ride to/from the drag strip.
Yes this is exactly what I was looking for thanks. Will be looking for the speed/RPM info later. One more question though. Do I need to let off the gas and use the clutch when I shift? I have heard that you can skip using the clutch and just shift without it as long as you let off the throttle.

and I knew U'Pickles would respond! :yahoo:
Gee... how did you guess that? :)

I just can't leave a topic like this alone because there is so much unsupported advice out there related to peak TQ and peak HP that is all wrong, but widely accepted as correct.

Will be looking for the speed/RPM info later.
According to my calculations...

1st -> 2nd: ~9200 rpm (GenII: ~63mph, GenI: ~61 mph; don't hit the rev limiter!)

2nd -> 3rd: ~8900 rpm (GenII: ~87 mph, GenI: ~84 mph)

3rd -> 4th: ~8700 rpm (GenII: ~111 mph, GenI: ~109 mph)

4th -> 5th: ~8400 rpm (GenII: ~135 mph, GenI: ~131 mph)

The RPMs are valid for all model years of FJR with no mods. The speeds are actual speeds (your speedometer lies!), but actual speeds would vary slightly with different rear tires, different amount of wear, etc. You won't get a chance to shift into 5th in the 1/4 mile.

I won't include any additional "proof" for my numbers since the ideas behind the calculations are explained/illustrated in my older topic (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108817). You'll just have to trust that the code I wrote to generate the per-gear torque curves and find their intersections is correct :) .

I used data from a dyno run of extrememarine's 2009 FJR, BTW. The data was exported directly from the original run file and processed by software that I wrote. No eyeballing or other error-prone estimations/measurements.

Do I need to let off the gas and use the clutch when I shift? I have heard that you can skip using the clutch and just shift without it as long as you let off the throttle.
As for clutchless shifting, I would just suggest you do a google search and read all the arguments for/against it, proper technique, etc., and decide for yourself if you want to try it. It's controversial enough that you'll have to decide for yourself what to take seriously and what to treat as exaggerated BS/opinion. I personally upshift without the clutch occasionally (at the drag strip, for example) for quicker/smoother shifts under hard acceleration. My wife actually almost exclusively upshifts without the clutch. She's just able to get smoother shifts that way on her particular bike with her particular style.

Really, it's kind of sad our Feejers require 3rd gear to break a 100 and still have respectable <yawn> 1/4 mile times..

Actually, neither is correct. The best shift point is the point at which the next highest gear begins to accelerate harder than the current gear. It's different per gear. Here's some details: https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=108817

Dude, WTF? Clearly you have researched this topic far more than I even care to, and my response to OP was never intended to be technically precise, merely friendly and possibly a bit encouraging.

Also, where did I imply there was anything at all 'wrong with enjoying' the FJR's acceleration? :huh:

I can hardly wait for Spring to enjoy some of it! :yahoo:

Can someone please describe how to get a good time ...
How to get a good time?

I thought Fred W nailed it. Why would someone vote down his post?

8 6 7 5 3 0 9
Tommy Tutone

one-hit wonder :lol:

I prefer the

Hmmm... I must be doing something wrong.

Yes, I do make clutch-less up-shifts sometimes, but more often when I'm dawdling along and just feel like being lazy. Not when accelerating heavily. I'm not sure that I can actually execute one faster 'nor smoother since you do have to chop back on the throttle enough to un-load the gear dogs.

It just seems faster and smoother to fan the clutch half way while shifting. But yes, it is no doubt a personal choice.

...According to my calculations...

1st -> 2nd: ~9200 rpm (GenII: ~63mph, GenI: ~61 mph; don't hit the rev limiter!)

2nd -> 3rd: ~8900 rpm (GenII: ~87 mph, GenI: ~84 mph)

3rd -> 4th: ~8700 rpm (GenII: ~111 mph, GenI: ~109 mph)

4th -> 5th: ~8400 rpm (GenII: ~135 mph, GenI: ~131 mph)...
I can corroborate this rpm to shift pattern produces the quickest 1/4 mile times. I base-lined a few runs taking it to the limit (one more time) and then progressively shifting sooner. This not only optimizes the gear/speed intersect, it also moves you closer to peak HP from ~7,250 to 8,500 rpm. After this rpm range from second gear on, torque and HP are falling very quickly while aerodynamics is really starting to load up the engine.