Ultimate Coast to Coast to Coast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had planned on attempting the UCCC ride in June next year. Some situations have changed

and have cut down on the amount of time that I am willing to spend on this ride, yet I still

would like to make it. My questions are piling up as I am trying to plan this ride out.

I pretty much know what the FJR can do as far as time/distance...The problem is that I am

not taking the FJR, I am riding a bike that I really am quite ignorant about.

Here are some photos of my Dakar. It is a '05 (Single) 650cc with only 8,000 miles on

the clock. It came with Givi side cases and I have added a trunk and a Bill Mayer seat. I

know many here on the forum know this bike better than I do.

farkles009.jpg

farkles011.jpg

As of right now, I have only a weeks vacation to spare for this trip. I know I will be able

to secure another 4 or more days. I would like to make Fairbanks from Key West in 4 days.

Another day up to Deadhorse, then 5 days to return to Key West.

Is this schedule too aggressive for this bike?

Spare tires?

Extra fuel?

Farkles needed?

ANY advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Tony

Talk to John Ryan. He'd be the definitive source on it as he's done the ride as well as against the clock. Doing an out and back would seem to me very dependent on projecting weather in that Day 4-6 range when you're north of Fairbanks.

5000+ miles in 4 days on a Dakar. I know I couldn't do it! Even if you (and the bike) are capable of the ride, there isn't much wiggle room for weather, maintenance (oil and maybe a tire swap), problems etc.

Good luck with it!

Ross

The way I'm planning my trip "up north" is I'm going to ship my Honda Transalp 600 v twin to anchorage or somewhere close, then ride the FJR up there, swap bikes and put the FJR into the shipping container (Forward Shipping) and ride the TrasAlp up to Dead Horse and back. swap bikes again for the return trip home and return ship the bike in the same container. Shipping will run about $1100 both ways, but I won't have to ride the TA the whole distance. I was going to buy a used GS800 and ride the whole way, but this is way cheaper and I get to ride my Transalp, which is perfect for the Dalton Hwy and other dirt sections I'm planning.

The way I'm planning my trip "up north" is I'm going to ship my Honda Transalp 600 v twin to anchorage or somewhere close, then ride the FJR up there, swap bikes and put the FJR into the shipping container (Forward Shipping) and ride the TrasAlp up to Dead Horse and back. swap bikes again for the return trip home and return ship the bike in the same container. Shipping will run about $1100 both ways, but I won't have to ride the TA the whole distance. I was going to buy a used GS800 and ride the whole way, but this is way cheaper and I get to ride my Transalp, which is perfect for the Dalton Hwy and other dirt sections I'm planning.
Sounds good -but I will be doing the IBA cert. UCCC which alows no swapping of bikes. Besides... a 10/10ths

on a single sounds way too tempting. Might even try a BBG on the 2nd day... :rolleyes:

Talk to John Ryan. He'd be the definitive source on it as he's done the ride as well as against the clock. Doing an out and back would seem to me very dependent on projecting weather in that Day 4-6 range when you're north of Fairbanks.
I am hoping he chimes in...

BTW- Saw your Trifecta (Within a rally) is official now. Congrats on a incredible ride and a great rally season!

:clapping:

Personally, I think you're nuts to try a ride like that on a bike like that. Compared to the FJR, no power or wind protection. But lately, you Tony, are Da Man!

Also sounds like a tight schedule. Weather could really mess things up. Best of luck to you!

When I rode the Dalton Hwy in August of 2006 there was a lot of construction that caused some major delays just north of the Yukon River. I think there is always some road construction going on in August due to the short road construction season so you may want to contact the Alaskan DOT to see if they can supply you with any info. You can make good time on the Dalton all the way to Coldfoot but once you get into the Atigun Pass and onto the North Slope it all becomes weather dependent how quickly you can ride regardless of the time of year.

Tony, depending on when you do this I might join you for the ride from Deadhorse to Key West for the UCC. But I'll be on my new SUPER TENERE! Oh yeah baby!

Dennis & Tony do Alaska, Part I!

2e322378.jpg

Personally, I think you're nuts to try a ride like that on a bike like that. Compared to the FJR, no power or wind protection. But lately, you Tony, are Da Man!

Also sounds like a tight schedule. Weather could really mess things up. Best of luck to you!
Oh thanks... Now you got me flip floppin' on which bike to take again.

I think the reasoning behind the Dakar was to be less reliant on the weather and

I was planning on riding alone and the thought of trying to upright the FJR with

fatigue on gravel IF I dump her... well the way I hate cold...

Maybe I should just get them both ready and flip a coin!

The Dakar ran pretty well at 80 mph bringing it home from Phoenix...

besides I am doing the 4 corners on the FJR shortly after I return from Alaska,

AND I am trying to keep the miles down on the FJR. :huh:

Fab up a shitass trailer and drag the Dakar along you pussy...

Damn I tire of you distance gurls issues!

:fuck:

Tony, depending on when you do this I might join you for the ride from Deadhorse to Key West for the UCC. But I'll be on my new SUPER TENERE! Oh yeah baby!

Dennis & Tony do Alaska, Part I!

2e322378.jpg
THAT^ Dennis would be fantastic !!!

Working at the post office during December SUCKS.

I am waiting for my 1 week vacation to be approved for this trip- then I'll try to tack on

a few more days. I will let you know the dates when I do.

Are you gonna run the Haul road ss1000?

You have got the perfect ride for that run !

Are you sure you won't mind waiting for me to catch up?

Think we will have the same weather we had in Hyder? :p

Darn you got me thinkin'

I'll shoot you a PM this weekend.

Wow, a 650 to do that..... Good luck. I went last June and had a blast. The Haul road was not that bad, I could ride my BMW 1200 GSA 60+ mph or more most of the time. The 650 would be a perfect tool for the Deadhorse run, but there is a lot of pavement between Key West and Fairbanks. I did not have more than a hour or so delay in construction.

Weather turned cold and very windy on the North Slope on top of Atigun Pass. It was hard to ride faster than 25 mph or so. And I road about 200 miles in 1" deep red-orange pudding in rain heading back south.

I PM you my phone #, if you would be interested in any info I have. See you at the Pizza Party in Jacksonville.

Smitty

069.jpg

Atigun Pass and a lot of dust..

092.jpg

And a little bit of the Haul road to take home...

121.jpg

blah...blah....blah......fun Alaska trip......blah......blah......blah
I can't believe you went without me you fecking bastard!
Hey SkooterG, have you ever been to Alaska???? I will I see you at the Pizza party?? Hey Skoot... Have you ever been to Key West??? Blah Blah Blah...

Smitty :p

I had planned on attempting the UCCC ride in June next year. Some situations have changed

and have cut down on the amount of time that I am willing to spend on this ride, yet I still

would like to make it. My questions are piling up as I am trying to plan this ride out.

I pretty much know what the FJR can do as far as time/distance...The problem is that I am

not taking the FJR, I am riding a bike that I really am quite ignorant about.

Here are some photos of my Dakar. It is a '05 (Single) 650cc with only 8,000 miles on

the clock. It came with Givi side cases and I have added a trunk and a Bill Mayer seat. I

know many here on the forum know this bike better than I do.

farkles009.jpg

farkles011.jpg

As of right now, I have only a weeks vacation to spare for this trip. I know I will be able

to secure another 4 or more days. I would like to make Fairbanks from Key West in 4 days.

Another day up to Deadhorse, then 5 days to return to Key West.

Is this schedule too aggressive for this bike?

Spare tires?

Extra fuel?

Farkles needed?

Thanks, Tony
Tony,

Don't know if you know Kevin Healey from from your back yard? He sends out emails to many of us for lunch meetings about once a month. Understand it's whats left from an old Triumph group. They meet tonight at John Bull English Pub(801 Village Blvd. WPB) at 7:00 for whoever wants to show up, chat, and eat.

He is a LD rider, has competed in 2007 and 2009 Iron Butt on an older Triumph. A couple of years ago, he purchased a used BMW 650 single just for the ride to Alaska and the haul road. Thought it was a great bike for the trip and the only BMW he cares about. Says he rode 100k that year!!!! I doubt he rode the mileage your talking about doing each day on the 650, but might have great advice.

I have ridden up twice(early 90's and 2010), but never the haul road. I ride what gravel I need to, but hate dust and the taste!! The FJR is a great bike for the trip, but if you hit rain on the Haul Road, it will be challenging. Good luck. Jim

Tony,

Don't know if you know Kevin Healey from from your back yard? He sends out emails to many of us for lunch meetings about once a month. Understand it's whats left from an old Triumph group. They meet tonight at John Bull English Pub(801 Village Blvd. WPB) at 7:00 for whoever wants to show up, chat, and eat.

He is a LD rider, has competed in 2007 and 2009 Iron Butt on an older Triumph. A couple of years ago, he purchased a used BMW 650 single just for the ride to Alaska and the haul road. Thought it was a great bike for the trip and the only BMW he cares about. Says he rode 100k that year!!!! I doubt he rode the mileage your talking about doing each day on the 650, but might have great advice.

I have ridden up twice(early 90's and 2010), but never the haul road. I ride what gravel I need to, but hate dust and the taste!! The FJR is a great bike for the trip, but if you hit rain on the Haul Road, it will be challenging. Good luck. Jim
Jim,

Kevin has sent me away (Witnessed for me) on many a trip. It is too bad I work 1pm to 130am

during the Christmas season. (Post office) John Bull is a mile up the street from me, but I am afraid by

the time I arrive- everyone is gone. I do plan a meeting with him to tap his knowledge though. He has

always been very helpful.

Here is the kevin and the bike of which you speak:

PA070272.jpg

Thanks

-Tony