"Bench Touring" question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
You might have heard of "Bench Racing", but my group of riders are more of a bunch of "Bench Tourers". Our latest discussion is a cross country trip starting in New York. The total trip around the country will be close to 10,000 miles. Since we usually average 4,000 to 7,000 miles for tire life, how do you handle tire changes while on the road? Do you just pull into a local dealer and hope he has something? Do you call a day or two ahead? Would it be worth contacting a dealer at the halfway point, giving him all the tire sizes (5 bikes) so he can have them waiting? If this trip actually happens, it won't be until May of 2013, so I don't need an answer right away, but I'm just curious.

I speak from competitive IBR experience:

First, I wouldn't presume such low rear tire life for many tire choices that average much more than you assume...even for big boys with lots of gear. A PR2 or PR3 will tend to last 8,000+ even in my experience...some go the whole 11,000+ mile IBR with one. Touring with a soft right hand also helps. Another option is an ME-880 that will go 11,000 and probably even a few more after that with cupping along the way. Did and ME-880 in 2007 and it went 15,000 miles for me.

If you are to change you might find a best friend somewhere along the way with a tire changer and drop ship a rear tire. Change there.

Or a a known good dealer and check to see they have one reserved in stock just before you leave. I'd probably go this way myself and bias them for the last half of the trip as a backup. But, like Skooter I have not compunction about running a tire several thousand miles past the wear bars.

Or, if it's not an expense thing and you want to know you have what you need....a rim and tire mounted shipped to wherever you want to change it. You should carry tools to do a tire swap in a parking lot anyway.

I can't imagine any front tire not going the distance plus a whole bunch more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a PR2 set at 16819 miles. Bike is currently at 27150 after a 7500 mile x-country tour and miscellaneous trips locally to the Sierra, Mt. Hamilton etc. With as much level and straight as we had on the long trip, I got the best miles out of this set I ever had. FWIW that is carrying a 240 lb rider and all this gear. I have already purchase PR3 tires and will get those on in the next couple weeks.

JamiePittsburgh136.jpg

The real problem here is the word "bunch". This means with multiple bikes tire wear may not be the same for each rider so planning a group tire swap would be tough. I would start out with PR2 or 3 and see how it goes as it's likely you would only need a rear tire. Most major cities should have a bike shop that keeps a tire you would need, may not be the exact tire brand you would be replacing well into your journey but whatever tire you find should get you home.

Watch your wear and call ahead to the next town/city to find a shop/tire.

2013??? I say you better do a recon ride in 2012 :lol:

and it doesn't help the front
Fronts last much longer that a rear except in the case of a car tire. I usually do 1 front to 2 rears and even then they usually would go farther but is changed as a PM.

I've done 3 10/10ths with PR2's installed fresh at the starts. I have never had to change out

a tire mid-trip. Consistant wear for me has been 15,000 for the rear, and 25,000 for the front.

I have yet to wear down to the belts. Next summer I plan on doing a 4 corners round trip ...

No tire issue again- just new PR2's at the start. I ride the speed limit +10.

and it doesn't help the front
Fronts last much longer that a rear except in the case of a car tire. I usually do 1 front to 2 rears and even then they usually would go farther but is changed as a PM.

If you can ride with the front wheel off the ground, it greatly extends the tire's life.

Thanks for the responces. As I see it now, I have two good options: 1) run PR2's. or 2) run a car tire on the rear and wheelie my way around the country. B)

This is turning into a tire thread!

If the PR2's are anything of an indication, get a set of PR3's and don't worry about it.

PR3 with 5000 miles full load (2 up +gear)

PB030002.jpg

PB030001.jpg

Barely broken in

I can say from experience that a set of PR2s will go across the country and back at well above the speed limit and still have plenty of tread left. Tires don't seem to wear as fast on a long trek as they do when zooming around on local roads.

Now I have to say it, get off the bench and onto the bike to find out for yourself. ;)

Plan less, ride more. Print out the FJR Assistance list, (get on it if you're not and then print the most recent copy before your trip), then during your trip when you notice your tire(s) are getting close to the wear bars, locate the person on the assistance list near where you want to swap a tire and call them. Find out who's the local go to dealer for tires and make some calls.

The smart thing would be for you to start with a known good performer like the PR2/3 or Me880s, and for everyone in the group to do the same, with fresh tires at the start. But there's always that one guy that comes to the party on tires that have 2k left in them. :blink: Or mounts up some sport tires, being clueless as to how long they are going to last.

Depending on where your trip takes you, and where you think you might be at that 4-7k range you currently get from tires, you might actually consider the CT option. A CT and front PR2/3 will easily go the distances you're talking about with 5k miles to spare, if not more. And that's just the front. The rear CT will go a lot longer. But you don't want to do that change and head out the next day! There is some acclimation time to the CT. Different for each person. For some, it's the end of the block. Others will take a couple of thousand miles to get comfortable with it. Some never do. Regardless of what you choose, you might consider setting your FJR up with a car tire compliant rear brake caliper tension arm so if you get stuck someplace with NO tires in your size, you can actually go the CT route w/o further mods and continue your trip. You can make the new bar yourself for $5 with stuff from the local hardware store. It has zero impact to running a moto tire.

I can say from experience that a set of PR2s will go across the country and back at well above the speed limit and still have plenty of tread left. Tires don't seem to wear as fast on a long trek as they do when zooming around on local roads.

Now I have to say it, get off the bench and onto the bike to find out for yourself. ;)

It's the slab. Even the tires are too bored to wear out. :glare:

So are you and ldryder and behmer going to have to join the S10 assistance list now? ;-)
I don't think there is one yet. And I don't know that I want to step up to that plate at the moment. A lot of other stuff to keep me busy.