Question about FJR1300AE .. Now Want a Standard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrs

Reaction score
hello All..

Had some questions about the FJR1300AE..

i copied this from the Yamaha site:

What is it?

The YCC-S system is essentially a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. Internally, the FJR1300's 5-speed transmission and clutch remain intact; however, we've added a clutch controller and electronic shift actuator all connected to a sophisticated computer to provide perfect, clutchless manual shifting in any situation.

What it is NOT!

It is not an automatic, CVT, or like any "pushbutton" or "tiptronic" transmission found in most passenger cars, ATVs, scooters or snowmobiles. All of these systems use some form of torque converter or centrifugal clutch. The all-new FJR1300AE is a true manual transmission that borrows its technology right from Formula 1 cars and exotic sports cars where only the absolute best will do. The YCC-S system will not shift by itself and the rider still must complete every shift when accelerating or coming to a stop just like any other manual transmission.

Shifting: You have 2 options to shift, either the standard foot shifter or the left hand push/pull shifter. The gear shift pattern is 5 up – neutral is at the very bottom of the shift pattern.

Starting from a complete stop: Once the engine is started and in neutral, shift up into 1st gear. The system will not allow you to shift out of neutral if the throttle is opened. When in gear, the system automatically disengages the clutch and the bike will not move. To start moving, open the throttle at whatever rate you wish. The YCC-S computer and clutch actuator smoothly modulates the clutch as you build ground speed and the bike will accelerate just as if you were operating the clutch yourself.

Upshifting: To upshift, click up on the foot shifter, or if you choose to activate the hand shifter, pull the handlebar mounted upshift switch with your index finger. You can shift at any RPM you choose provided it will not cause the engine to lug severely. The computer calculates the optimum clutch engagement time and the electronic shift actuator changes gears in a fraction of a second. The amount of clutch slippage will be determined by how aggressive you are on the throttle. The harder your acceleration, the more the clutch slips.

Downshifting: As you are decelerating to come to a stop you should down shift by using either the thumb actuated handlebar switch (if the system is activated) or the foot shifter. If you do not down shift when coming to a stop, the gear shift indicator will begin to flash. This is recommending that you down shift into 1st gear. The system will not downshift for you. If you still choose not to down shift and you come to a complete stop, the motorcycle will accelerate from a stop but at a lower rate and with severe clutch slipping which will cause premature clutch wear.

Braking to a complete stop: When braking, whether from a smooth controlled stop or aggressively, the clutch is disengaged automatically at the proper time to keep the engine running. There is no need to shift into neutral when stopped, the clutch will be disengaged automatically.

https://www.yamaha-mo...sport/yccs.aspx

1. does anyone have one? or have put some miles on one?

2. how is launching from a stoplight?

3. how about low speed maneuvers like making a turn or a U turn. (i sometimes modulate the clutch during these..)

4. what years were they made for the US?

5. how much more did they cost when new?

6. are they more valuable or less valuable than a standard clutch? meaning resale..

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

btw.. i own 2 standard clutch FJR1300's..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, theres a couple of riders with AE's, they just don't want to admit it! :p Hang loose you'll get more info then you bargined for here on this site.

Yes! jrs, I have one. I think I'm the only one though. And I hate this thing like Poison!! It's a Piece of Crap. Maybe somebody out there might come along and Chime In. :dribble:

Two FJr's and you're a 5 post Newbie? I think Bustanut and RadioHowie have one too. Maybe they like theirs more than I like Mine! Please help this guy out Boys! :unsure:

hello All..

I'm on my second. Known as the FJR1300AS this side of the pond. Essentially forced into my first because of arthritis making clutch lever operation excruciating. I don't put the miles on you USA boys (and girls) do, but there is no history of them having a mileage issue any more than the standard.

A quote from my initial write-up of my experiences:

I sit on the bike, and select first gear. It feels very strange not pulling in the clutch, and I immediately decide not to use the foot gear change, and press the button to select the finger control.Then I put the back brake on, and gradually increase the throttle until I feel the bike beginning to pull. I back off, then release the brake, and gently up the throttle. The bike moves! ... It's easy, it just works!
then

"Launch Control" - Fast moves from stationary are very easy. I was very surprised at the rate at which the bike accelerated when I simply snapped open the throttle. I have the impression the clutch engagement software was tuned for performance. I'm quite sure I could not obtain the same rate from rest with the manual clutch of the Trophy, certainly not from the initial idle. This would be a real bonus if you were about to be hit in the rear. The only skill required is to ensure the rear wheel won't slip if the surface isn't perfect;

3. how about low speed maneuvers like making a turn or a U turn. (i sometimes modulate the clutch during these..)
This is an area where you have to re-learn things a little. What I do is slow sufficiently so that the clutch disengages, then ease the throttle open so that the clutch is slipping. You can then modulate your speed with throttle and rear brake, all the while with the clutch slipping.

'06 to '09? (not sure, I'm in the UK, got my second one in '10).

Lucky you. Don't know why you want the YCCS model unless you have a health issue.

Most people who have the electric shift take a short while to acclimatise, anywhere from 10 minutes to a few weeks. With just a couple of exceptions, almost every owner active on this forum has not regretted his/her choice. Oh, yes, read multiple posts by anyone who comments, get the feel of how valuable their opinions are. Particularly (but not limited to) Friday postings. And wear a very thick skin. Good luck.

Jrs, Please take everything Mcatrophy just posted with a Grain of Salt. He's one of our "Special" Members from the UK. Since his Mental Breakdown and the

incontinent problems he's been having lately, His wife has told us just to be gentle with him. Nice Guy but, Not all there in the head. He had to ride the short

bus to school when he was a kid. Bless his Heart, He just now got to where he can type and put words together correctly. Don't worry, a few AE Owners might Chime In Shortly! :)

hello All..

i copied this from the Yamaha site:

What is it?

The YCC-S system is essentially a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. Internally, the FJR1300's 5-speed transmission and clutch remain intact; however, we've added a clutch controller and electronic shift actuator all connected to a sophisticated computer to provide perfect, clutchless manual shifting in any situation.

What it is NOT!

It is not an automatic, CVT, or like any "pushbutton" or "tiptronic" transmission found in most passenger cars, ATVs, scooters or snowmobiles. All of these systems use some form of torque converter or centrifugal clutch. The all-new FJR1300AE is a true manual transmission that borrows its technology right from Formula 1 cars and exotic sports cars where only the absolute best will do. The YCC-S system will not shift by itself and the rider still must complete every shift when accelerating or coming to a stop just like any other manual transmission.

Shifting: You have 2 options to shift, either the standard foot shifter or the left hand push/pull shifter. The gear shift pattern is 5 up – neutral is at the very bottom of the shift pattern.

Starting from a complete stop: Once the engine is started and in neutral, shift up into 1st gear. The system will not allow you to shift out of neutral if the throttle is opened. When in gear, the system automatically disengages the clutch and the bike will not move. To start moving, open the throttle at whatever rate you wish. The YCC-S computer and clutch actuator smoothly modulates the clutch as you build ground speed and the bike will accelerate just as if you were operating the clutch yourself.

Upshifting: To upshift, click up on the foot shifter, or if you choose to activate the hand shifter, pull the handlebar mounted upshift switch with your index finger. You can shift at any RPM you choose provided it will not cause the engine to lug severely. The computer calculates the optimum clutch engagement time and the electronic shift actuator changes gears in a fraction of a second. The amount of clutch slippage will be determined by how aggressive you are on the throttle. The harder your acceleration, the more the clutch slips.

Downshifting: As you are decelerating to come to a stop you should down shift by using either the thumb actuated handlebar switch (if the system is activated) or the foot shifter. If you do not down shift when coming to a stop, the gear shift indicator will begin to flash. This is recommending that you down shift into 1st gear. The system will not downshift for you. If you still choose not to down shift and you come to a complete stop, the motorcycle will accelerate from a stop but at a lower rate and with severe clutch slipping which will cause premature clutch wear.

Braking to a complete stop: When braking, whether from a smooth controlled stop or aggressively, the clutch is disengaged automatically at the proper time to keep the engine running. There is no need to shift into neutral when stopped, the clutch will be disengaged automatically.

https://www.yamaha-mo...sport/yccs.aspx

5. how much more did they cost when new?

6. are they more valuable or less valuable than a standard clutch? meaning resale..

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Lots of people have these here. People who have them like them., but you have to adjust your riding style a bit.

1) Lots of miles, no significant mechanical problems or gas-mileage differences.

2) There's a bit less punch launching from a stoplight because you can get some (designed in) clutch slip. Not a big deal, but a clutched model will do a little better. OTOH, if you live in an area with heavy traffic, not having to work the clutch can be a real blessing, and of course for those of us with severe arthritis, the auto-clutch is a god-send.

3) You can compensate for clutch-slipping in low-speed turns by dragging the rear brake. Performance-wise it's a wash. However I do miss being able to tweak the clutch sometimes. And of course there's no throttle-blipping at stop lights.

4) From 2006-2011. Don't know if they're still being made for markets outside North America. They're still being sold elsewhere, but that may just be excess inventory.

5) I think around $1200 MSRP.

6) My impression is that they're worth less because many people look at them askance.

The AE is no better or worse than the clutched model, just a little different. I'm happy with my AE, and because of my arthritis I couldn't ride without it. THere are a couple of things about the AE I really love--once you get the hang of upshifting, the shift is so smooth it's a thing of beaurty, and not having a clutch handle to break off when I drop this top-heavy beast is also a good thing. For me, though, I think if I could ride with a clutch, I'd own an A model because I do miss a very few things you can do with a clutch that aren't available on the AE. But it's a very slight difference, one more of personal preference than of practical advantage.

You have to go to GirlyFJROwners.com to find those guys!
tongue.gif

Actually there are many owners on the forum... they all seem to love it... and they are all bias!
wink.gif

"Canucklehead to the red courtesy phone please!" (A very respectable... Ok, enviable
wink.gif
100,000km in 4 years on his and he's still loving it!)

I'll regale you with a tale of my rental experience.

With limited time available and not wanting to cross the prairies and back again last June, I rented an '06AE from a great little B&B in Nova Scotia for CFR 2011. While I had test ridden an AE before, I had never spent any real time on one so this was going to be a new experience for me. I arrived late at night at the B&B so basically just packed up the bike and started riding early the next morning. While it did seem strange at first, it took me all of 10 mins to get used to being without a clutch lever. One week, a few thousand kms and one rear tire later, I had nothing serious to complain about. The shifting was smooth as silk under normal riding conditions, 2-up and fully loaded. When pushing the my performance envelope, still 2-up and fully loaded, trying to keep up with those crazy east coasters, I found the shifting a little bit clunky but still acceptable. I was warned about the low speed maneuvering issue and with that knowledge in hand, found no problem with it using the slip and drag technique we all learned as kids.
wink.gif

As evidenced in my first comment, there is too much testosterone on this continent for these bikes to have really caught on. Despite the advanced tech and obvious benefits (for some,) these bikes failed to impress the North American buyers and, while they were initially tagged at a premium, many had to be sold for a huge discount to get ride of overstock. On the bright side, they usually haven't been on the road as long as the model year would indicate.
tongue.gif
Like anything else, resale value is whatever the market will bear. I personally would value one less than a comparable A model, but the right buyer may, particularly given that they are no longer sold here, be willing to pay a little more to get one. In general, IMHO, I'd say they are comparable in value and, like anything else, it needs the right buyer.

All that said, what the heck does resale value matter? It's not an investment! Just ride it til she drops (or you do, whichever comes first!)
tongue.gif

Hope that helps!

...4) From 2006-2011. Don't know if they're still being made for markets outside North America. They're still being sold elsewhere, but that may just be excess inventory.

Really??? IIRC 2009 was the last year for Canada and I have never seen any mention of a 2010 or 2011 in the US. (Currently no evidence I can find on Yamaha's US website of any AE after '09.) Looks like it is still available in the UK though.

Like anything else, resale value is whatever the market will bear. I personally would value one less than a comparable A model, but the right buyer may, particularly given that they are no longer sold here, be willing to pay a little more to get one. In general, IMHO, I'd say they are comparable in value and, like anything else, it needs the right buyer.

Hope that helps!
Great post, Jeff.

Well, all except for this:

"You have to go to GirlyFJROwners.com to find those guys!" :headbonk:

Brat :kiss2:

...4) From 2006-2011. Don't know if they're still being made for markets outside North America. They're still being sold elsewhere, but that may just be excess inventory.

Really??? IIRC 2009 was the last year for Canada and I have never seen any mention of a 2010 or 2011 in the US. (Currently no evidence I can find on Yamaha's US website of any AE after '09.) Looks like it is still available in the UK though.

https://www.helibars.com/product/tour-performance-%C2%AE-hr-triple-clamp-yamaha-fjr1300a-ae

No problems here with my 08AE. 5k miles and 2 years later. Easy to ride, easy to shift (I use the thumb shifter exclusively). Works flawlessly and shifts quicker than most riders can do manually. On slow speed turns, either drag the footbrake or stay in 2nd gear to keep the revs over the about 1100 rpm clutch engagement/disengagement. I wouldn't trade it for a regular shift fjr.

On upshifting, while I don't do it alot, you can powershift at quite a bit of throttle since the electronic system blips the engine. I have not done it at full throttle, but occasionally at 1/2-2/3 throttle and it works fine. Took me all of about half an hour to adjust to the AE on the first ride.

Only downside as I see it, is you can't coast start the beast. But on the upside, when you park the thing and put it into gear, nobody is going to roll it away either.

80,000 miles on an '04 'A' model, 13,000 and counting on my '09 AE, purchased new in Dec '10. I have no issues with the AE, got it due to too much metal in the clutch hand and the inevitable onset of arthritis. Fuel economy seems to be down but that may be just the quality of fuel. I don't do 'hard launches' but I think the clutch would give a more positive lock-up in burnout take-offs. Low speed manuvers are not a problem, just ease the throttle open until the cluch starts to engage, then modulate throttle and rear brake (they are linked so you are getting one caliper from the front as well.) You do have to be aware of the throttle while stopped since any significant movement will result in a launch!

Would I rather have an 'A' model? I don't honestly know. I like my AE, have learned to shift up with the 'trigger' and down with the foot. Works for me. But I think if I were going to buy a new FJR, and my hand was not an issue, and the AE was available, I'd go with the clutch lever.

BTW, 2009 was the last year for the AE over here. The Helibar add is a tad misleading but refers to A/AE and the A is obviously still available, even in 2012.

Yes! jrs, I have one. I think I'm the only one though. And I hate this thing like Poison!! It's a Piece of Crap. Maybe somebody out there might come along and Chime In. :dribble:

Two FJr's and you're a 5 post Newbie? I think Bustanut and RadioHowie have one too. Maybe they like theirs more than I like Mine! Please help this guy out Boys! :unsure:
i hang out more on car forums and use to hang a bit on fjr owners.. was going to buy a concours but my FJ's have been great..

3) You can compensate for clutch-slipping in low-speed turns by dragging the rear brake. Performance-wise it's a wash. However I do miss being able to tweak the clutch sometimes. And of course there's no throttle-blipping at stop lights.

yes i am concerned about this. i also have 3 razor sharp sport bikes, two of which i track day.

p.s. FJRGUY: "low speed maneuvering issue" does sound like a potential problem.

i HAVE owned a bunch of paddle shifting cars and i get it. but, i must say, i prefer a clutch..

i HAVE owned a bunch of paddle shifting cars and i get it. but, i must say, i prefer a clutch..

When I was selling cars, we used to call guys like you "strokers."I they would walk in with every question imaginable about one of our vehicles, and then after an hour and a half, they'd say, "Ok, thanks. I don't really want to buy one, I was just wondering."

i hang out more on car forums and use to hang a bit on fjr owners.. was going to buy a concours but my FJ's have been great..
Oh Well..... A perfectly good chance to have a little fun blown down the tubes. I wanted to lighten this place up a little. Maybe Next Time!

Welcome jrs, Please forget everything I said about Mcatrophy, He's ACES, except maybe for that adult diaper thing, :unsure: Not sure about that one!

Here's the Deal on the AE, It's like riding a Formula One Racer on Two Wheels. It's Awesome. No Medical Issues for me, Just the Pure Joy of Pulling that Trigger

and being in the next gear in the Blink of an Eye. It's Bullit Proof and you'll fall in love with it in Minutes. Just my Two Cents! :rolleyes:

When I was selling cars, we used to call guys like you "strokers."I they would walk in with every question imaginable about one of our vehicles, and then after an hour and a half, they'd say, "Ok, thanks. I don't really want to buy one, I was just wondering."

Hey HotRod that's funny.. i actually consider myself a StrokeOff..

you don't know me but it would seem prudent to ask questions BEFORE i take the sellers time to show me a bike that i am not sure about. i am not just wondering.. i was thinking about looking at one this weekend..

as i am a bit detail oriented, i thought it a good idea to ask guys who really know and own these bikes.. Isn't that what these forums are about, like minded people, sharing information.

i was referring to cars when i said "i prefer a clutch" BUT the same might be true with motorcycles. I know much more now about them than i did 36 hours ago...

regarding cars: if you asked me about the F1 trans in a F458, i would say i don't know. But if you asked me about paddle shifting cars like the F430, Lambo G, Aston Martin, i would tell you that a ZR1 6 speed rocks and it is my preference..

have a wonderful day!

I have an 08 and love it. I'm 63 and a conservative rider but I rode over 9,000 miles last summer. The shifting is smooth as silk. while accellerating, if the shifts are right the bike doesn't even hesitate, it just goes and goes. I'm sure I would be happy with a clutch one too. My old bike was a big heavy road star and the low speed handling of the FJR is much better. The only complaint I do have is about the speeding tickets.

Don