When Men Were Men

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The desire to be best, not accept second best. I need to get that desire back.

Excellent post!

Those were the days where the rider made the difference, not how good your traction control engineer is.

Thanks for sharing!

For putz OM, this is pretty cool.

Back in the day Id make my pilgrimage to Laguna Seca to watch my road racing heroes battle it out. In 1992, Rainey still reigned supreme (pun intended). In 1993 while staying at my folks in NorCal, Wayne went down in Italy. I was to leave in a week and on the way home see Wayne continue his reign at Laguna Seca. I thought hed be good to go by then. Little did I know that crash finished Waynes career. I Still made it to the GP and have the framed poster in my office at work. Rainey is missed terribly. :(

I miss F1 racing!

I did run into Kevin Schwantz at the Fontana Super Bike races when I was an AMA Tire checker back in 2009. The final race he was next to me and my son and friend along with Kenny Roberts old tuner. We were all standing at the pit wall watching the action. It was nostalgia day. ;)

I got a shot of my favorite poster art. Reminded me of Leroy Neiman's art.

IMG-20120113-00076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More than a few "saves" in this video, it gives me goose bumps just watching it! Notice how they keep checking over their shoulder to keep an eye on each other, supreme rivalry and racing at it's best! Good find OM.

Wow!!! Now THAT was some freaking racing going on there. Most excellent - thanks for posting OM.

Epic stuff! I remember watching Schwantz decimate the competition at Mid Ohio for several years before going to the big leagues. He did things on his GSXR that I've never seen duplicated. My hero!

OMG real motorcycle racing AND tobacco ads. Does this mean I will have to go for corrective training/reprogramming? :clapping:

Thanks

Don

OM,

Sure that was great, but I noticed something missing. Everytime I pass you low and inside, you give me the TWN salute.

Somewhat peaved at first,I asked you about this and you responded that all the great racers give said salute.You said it was a sign of submission to another rider's superior skills. Given your vast knowledge of the motorcycling world and having recieved thousands of TWN salutes from you over the years, I never again questioned your answer.

However,perhaps it was the grainy video, but I saw no such salute by either of these riders.

What gives?

Mark

OM,

Sure that was great, but I noticed something missing. Everytime I pass you low and inside, you give me the TWN salute.

Somewhat peaved at first,I asked you about this and you responded that all the great racers give said salute.You said it was a sign of submission to another rider's superior skills. Given your vast knowledge of the motorcycling world and having recieved thousands of TWN salutes from you over the years, I never again questioned your answer.

However,perhaps it was the grainy video, but I saw no such salute by either of these riders.

What gives?

Mark
We Irish lie, get over it Mark!

For putz OM, this is pretty cool.

Back in the day I’d make my pilgrimage to Laguna Seca to watch my road racing heroes battle it out. In 1992, Rainey still reigned supreme (pun intended). In 1993 while staying at my folks in NorCal, Wayne went down in Italy. I was to leave in a week and on the way home see Wayne continue his reign at Laguna Seca. I thought he’d be good to go by then. Little did I know that crash finished Wayne’s career. I Still made it to the GP and have the framed poster in my office at work. Rainey is missed terribly. :(

I miss F1 racing!
Yeah Bluesy, I've got a signed Wayne Rainey poster hanging on my door of the barn. "Idaho Bob" Rainey, Wayne's cousin is one of my favorite riding buddies (currently lives near Seattle). I'd forward this to "I Bob", but he has never had an email account.

Go fast, stay stuck!