linked breaks (Unified braking system)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
Can the breaks of a Gen I be upgraded to linked breaks (Unified breaking system, UBS) as in 2006 and later models?

Thanks

Anything is possible, but I think you'll find that it would be easier to buy a Gen II FJR than convert your non ABS FJR. All Gen II FJR's have ABS and linked brakes. And your 01 has smaller front rotors than later models. So it won't be as simple as adding another brake line. :(

I don't think it would work. You'd have to get a GenII caliper set which wouldn't fit your rotors. The linked brakes have a proportion valve so the front does not always grab as hard as the rear, so you'd have to find and install that too.

Count this as the second vote for just getting a GenII before undertaking a project like that.

Not impossible, but 'spensive...

Can the breaks of a Gen I be upgraded to linked breaks (Unified breaking system, UBS) as in 2006 and later models?

Thanks
If you wanted all that weight you could probably swap the front end. I upgraded the brakes with braided lines, wave rotors, and bigger pads up front. The bike stops a little better now.

I wonder if you would need the newer and longer swing arm on the rear too?

Last edited by a moderator:
The linked brakes have too many differences to make it practical at all. Later bikes have bigger rotors, as already mentions, but they also split the front pads into two pads per side of the caliper, not one. As for Gen-II calipers to accomodate that, those won't fit your forks. Even if you could mount the calipers, you'd have to change your rotors, too. And you haven't even begun yet to address the issue of getting the proportioning valve and brake lines to bring that rear pedal operation up to the one front piston pair.

I think you could add ABS easier than adding linked brakes, even though that's a truckload of parts, too, at least it's Gen-I parts that it could be done with.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems quite an endeavour...will pass on this one...

Thanks a lot lads for all your wisdom!

Luis

Latest posts