FJR Tech Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to be a great season of riding folks. And I'd like to host a Tech Day to kick it off.

As it stands now there is nothing specific, mechanical wise, that we will be focusing on. I'd like to think that whatever you'd like to work on, then that's what we'll do. I have come to learn there's quite a few handy folks with a wrench in this neck of the woods.

If you don't have anything to work on, no problemo, it's still a great bunch of folks to BS with.

As a side note: I'm not too worried about who shows up. Most of my neighbors have horses, and not a single one has any sheep.

Nowthen, a town near Anoka, is about 30 miles northwest of the Twin Cities.

If interested, respond here or send me a PM.

Mike

Sounds like a great idea. I don't have any FJR problems to address but would appreaciate meeting a few FJR folks and learning more about our bikes.

You are in the same boat I am in then Abercrombie. I might have a couple of things I might want to do, but mostly I could stand to learn more about the bike, and certainly meeting the other riders is best.

You would certainly be welcomed.

Count me in!

Mine is running great also, but I'd like to meet FJR folk and talk tech also.

But not in the next month or two, OK?

I should be there Mike. I do need to put a new rear tire on my Wing, maybe we could tackle that.

I know it's not as easy as the Feej, but then I've never done it before.

That would be great Marc, it'll just require a little extra grunting is all. As I said the other night, I'm tickled pink that I can change my own tires now, and that of friends.

Count me in!

Mine is running great also, but I'd like to meet FJR folk and talk tech also.

But not in the next month or two, OK?

It'll be great to have you down here Fargo. How about not the next three or four either (well maybe four). I think June will work out great. We'll all have a couple of months riding in by then, that'll give us some time to ride some and remember what farkle it was we wanted to add.

April, May or June works, I will try to be there. Problem with June is I may rather be riding...

Does anyone have a shim kit?

I am due for a valve check. I can have that done in about 2 hrs if I don't need to make any adjustments. If I do the bike would have to sit there until I get the right shims, possibly the same day if there's a dealer near you who would swap some shims. So if anyone else needs to do a valve check that would be convenient to possibly trade any shims. If you haven't done it I can help.

I have my other rear shock I want to throw in as soon as possible in the season.

If I have not done it already I'm thinking of installing a dual heat controller for a heated jacket/ possible gloves someday.

Also, if anyone else has a Gen2 with a ridiculously inaccurate fuel gauge, I fixed mine right away when I got so I can show you how to fix that. It would flash reserve with over 2.5 gallons remaining. Seems to be common on the Gen2; same fuel level arm but different shape of tank vs. Gen1.

My choice would be sometime in April in order to get things done early in the season, but I'm pretty much open to whatever.

Andy has a shim kit here Matt.. Pretty sure he would be willing to loan it out.

I would attend but.. I'm getting Married every weekend next summer except for CFO an NERDS weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Late April or early May Matt? April tends to rain a bit more than May <it's all a crap shoot anyways>. But I could see moving the schedule up a bit. Perhaps I should edit my first post and see what others think. I know I'd like to see how the valves get checked and adjusted.

Someday Bust, maybe not this time (seeing as how you have to get married yet again), but I'll get a chance to repay the great hospitality I was shown last Oct.

Apparently I haven't figured out how to edit the first post. Soooo, I can only hope that you all will still give me your input as to what date works best.

Well I do know Mike I'd like to make sure it was on a weekend that worked with your work schedule; at least that way you'd have the option of coming.

Most of my neighbors have horses, and not a single one has any sheep.
I predict this day will be a total failure. Owosso is the place to be!!
I can't argue that Owosso is a great place for a tech day. But the last I checked, there wasn't one planned for the Spring.

Besides, this is a heckuva lot closer, and ya know I just hate riding very far for a good time.

Most of my neighbors have horses, and not a single one has any sheep.
I predict this day will be a total failure. Owosso is the place to be!!
I can't argue that Owosso is a great place for a tech day. But the last I checked, there wasn't one planned for the Spring.

Besides, this is a heckuva lot closer, and ya know I just hate riding very far for a good time.
Good on ya Mike for undertaking this! You have been with the Masters here so ya know what you need to do to bring 'em in.

If ya need swag, gimme a shout bro.

It was great having you and I'll make one of yours oneday.

Good on ya Mike for undertaking this! You have been with the Masters here so ya know what you need to do to bring 'em in.

If ya need swag, gimme a shout bro.

It was great having you and I'll make one of yours oneday.

It's funny you mention swag Bust. I was thinking I might need to send a PM your way in a month or so about that. That little LED flashlight I thought was just the greatest. I'll have to give that some more thought and get back to you.

Dang it! I already screwed up one of my first planed FJR outings for the year and they dont get much closer than Anoka! I have been scheduled as rider coach by ABATE for my first MSF Basic rider coarse of the year this same weekend in June. FargoFeej, I guess we are going to have to find a less elaborate way to meet than going to Anoka.

Thats the bad news. The good news is North Dakota ABATE is building us a new motorcycle training facility in Fargo. We are putting up a brand new full size concrete motorcycle range and a 60 X 100 building for the classroom, office and bike storage. Unfortunately this means classes don’t start up in Fargo till June 1st.

I sure will miss the old range located behind U-Motors, our local Yamaha, Honda dealership. U-Motors has been an excellent host giving us a great classroom and access to a full size range out back but they have had to downsize their facility to meet the reduced sales. It will be nice having a dedicated facility without traffic coming across the range in the middle of class though.

We will be having our first Experienced Rider Course the evening of June 11th if anyone wants to get the FJR out on the new range and brush up on some of your skills.