Skeet / Trap Shooting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
The wife and I would like to get into some clay targets shooting. Anybody in Seattle have any recommendations on where to go? We live in the north suburbs of Seattle. Also - any recommendations on a good intro shotgun?

Thanks Mates.

Scott

I have a friend that shoots around Bellingham all the time. I'll see what I can find out.

Asking what kind of shotgun is like asking about tires or oil. I would find a range and get some instruction so you can get a gun that fits properly. I use an old pump 12 ga. and it does as well for me as my buddys 5k Bareta does for him. Some of it is the tool and the rest is the operator.

I like the Remington 870 pump shot guns. It's a good standard shotgun. You can but other barrels for home defense too. I even shot my youth model 870 20 gauge and have fun with that. I like how small it is an easy to throw up. Don't be afraid to go with a 20 gauge for your wife if she is smaller.

Have fun this is my favorite of the shooting sports.

Re: Shotgun...

The venerable Beretta AL390 autoloader would be an excellent starter and keeper. When in production, they were the quintessential shotgun in clays as well as in the field. Though the newer 391 Urika is an excellent evolution of the 390, the 390 was sorely missed by the Trap/Skeet/Field audience and Beretta's willingness to scrounge up production parts to assemble what they call a 3901 is testament to it's popularity. Available in 12 and 20 gauge, they offer a nicely weighted forend that really helps with swing and follow through. They're readily available on the used market and again, can even be found in the reintroduced version, the 3901. Pricing on the used market should be around $350-$475 for the "Silver Mallard" and similar "Sport/Skeet" versions go for about the same.

I have 2 of these in my collection of scatterguns. One I built exclusively for waterfowling 12 years ago, the other a wood stock satin field version and I'd never give them up. I've tried to retire the waterfowler several times by buying and shooting $1600 Benellis, $1200 Brownings, etc but the new guns just get sold off and I go back to the old standby. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
An auto loader like the Remington 1100 trap would be a good idea, IMHO, if your wife plans on doing a lot of shooting, such as registered targets in trap. As previously said, it's important that it fit her well, but that can be accomplished with adjusting the length of the stock, adjustable buttplate, etc. The reduced recoil from an auto loader goes a long way toward preventing a flinch from developing. One ounce target loads are a good starting point; more than sufficient for 16 yard targets in trap. Wearing the most effective hearing protection available helps concentration; I used to wear both plugs and muffs. If she gets real serious, the shooting glasses with different shaded lenses make it easier to pick up orange targets against different colored backgrounds.

Here in eastern Washington, we usually do our shooting out of the back of a pickup. That way you can pack it up and move on quickly. Don't ask. ;)

In north seattle area, near Canyon park. Where I 405 intersects the Bothel, Samamish road is a shooting club. Can't remember the name, but might be a place to start.

Click on Panmans MRC reference. I am a member but mainly handguns,tactical-practical stuff, they do scatter guns once a week I believe.

Kenmore Range in Kenmore. Shotguns, rifles, pistols and archery. On 228th just west of Bothell.

Thanks Mates. I knew about the Kenmore Gun Range - its about a half mile from my house. Just wanted to see where others go.

On another note - is it ok/legal to head into the woods and do some target shooting? I used to do this in Oregon - in the state forest. But this was 20 years ago... yah know, the Wild West Days. :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Thanks Mates. I knew about the Kenmore Gun Range - its about a half mile from my house. Just wanted to see where others go.

On another note - is it ok/legal to head into the woods and do some target shooting? I used to do this in Oregon - in the state forest. But this was 20 years ago... yah know, the Wild West Days. :lol: :lol:

Cheers.
We the people own the National Forests and can exercise our rights there! (Please note that National PARKS don't allow shooting) Don't remember the exact rules for distances, but no shooting near campgrounds/buildings/across roads. Use common sense, shoot safely and pickup your trash when you're done.

I usually shoot at Cascade Rifle and Pistol Club near Ravensdale because I'm a life member there and it's nice to have target throwers, benches and known distances to shoot. It's probably too far out of the way for you though.

Last edited by a moderator: