Shad brand topcases!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
In trying to figure out what top case to purchase a couple forum members mentioned the Shad brand of top cases. I was thinking of getting the Givi E46 and most who have gotten this top case have been very pleased with it. I familiar with the Givi brand, have seen them in person but I was curious about this other brand.

Shad Brand Product Review

Long story short I ended up installing the Shad SH-45 top case on my bike last night. My initial impressions is that it is well made & engineered. I especially like the locking mechanism and actually prefer it over the Givi in this area. I also like the looks of the case and perhaps most of all the much lower price over the Givi.

I received the top case & FJR specific steel mounting plate delivered to my door for $218.38!

I ordered it direct from Shad and it shipped out of their Miami, FL warehouse. I talked with Angie in customer service and she was very helpful to answer all my questions & make sure that I ordered the correct parts. She also gave me a 10% discount, and since I joined the Shad forum she also waved the shipping charges!

How to order direct from Shad:

1. Pick the size & style case that you want Top Case Choices

2. Pick your mount 01-05 FJR or 06-11 FJR

3. Mounting Kit Installation Instructions

4. Email or Call Angie to order direct and get your 10% off discount code: [email protected] or call 888/524-6388

5. Join the Shad Forum and request that the shipping charges be waved. Let Angie know your a forum member when ordering.

The steel mounting plate is easy to install and it is bolted into your stock rack. It seems very secure.

1-Steelmount.jpg

Then the top case mounting plate bolts to the steel rack base.

2-Steelmountsideview.jpg

3-MountingBase.jpg

Top case mounts and locks down quickly.

4-ShadSideView.jpg

5-ShadRearView.jpg

6-Shadsidewithsaddlebags.jpg

(2) sets of Frog Toggs, Large Digital Camera case, Camera Tri-Pod, GoPro Camera & mounts, Winter Gloves & Baseball cap and I would say the case is 60% full. It is a 45 Liter capacity.

7-ShadCaseOpen.jpg

Shad offers many different case sizes from 26L up to 50L sizes. They all have their own unique design & look. You can also add brakelight kits & backrest pads as well. They also make hard side cases. We'll be picking up the wife's new Ninja 650R this weekend and I want to put at least a hard top case on her's as well. Angie told me to let her know when I'm ready and she'll give me another 10% off discount code.

If your interested watch this video for more of a detail description and also to see how their latch mechanism works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dzqco8bRY

GR,

Thanks for posting up. I don't have a top case on my bike...was never interested in one, until my wife riding with me on trips became more of a possibility. I like the low $$ amount as well.

2 items I'm curious about -

1. That lid hinge that projects towards the pillion rider would seem to prevent the Shad case from being used as a backrest. I would want to investigate that or hear from others in the know before I got one.
  2. The mounting bracket for the case...I believe, but am not certain, that Givi has a separate, stouter frame for supporting the case. I think the Givi bypasses the OEM rack subframe...again, just guessing here from what I've briefly seen of other people's Givi setups. I don't know if there's been any record of any issues with the Shad box, but I do know that the rear subframe on the FJR is wimpy and there have been reports of people overloading them to the point of failure and replacement. I would want to investigate that before I bought one.

I'm not knocking your case...the cost$$ looks great. I just have some questions in my own mind on those issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
GR,

Thanks for posting up. I don't have a top case on my bike...was never interested in one, until my wife riding with me on trips became more of a possibility. I like the low $$ amount as well.

2 items I'm curious about -

1. That lid hinge that projects towards the pillion rider would seem to prevent the Shad case from being used as a backrest. I would want to investigate that or hear from others in the know before I got one.
  2. The mounting bracket for the case...I believe, but am not certain, that Givi has a separate, stouter frame for supporting the case. I think the Givi bypasses the OEM rack subframe...again, just guessing here from what I've briefly seen of other people's Givi setups. I don't know if there's been any record of any issues with the Shad box, but I do know that the rear subframe on the FJR is wimpy and there have been reports of people overloading them to the point of failure and replacement. I would want to investigate that before I bought one.

I'm not knocking your case...the cost$$ looks great. I just have some questions in my own mind on those issues.

Good questions. I'll answer what I know and hopefully other forum members that have been running with these cases and chime in on the durability over time issue.

1. I had my wife sit on the Pillion and she said it felt comfortable and that the lip that sticks out does NOT hit her back. Her back makes contact with the flat smooth part of the case higher up and that lip is hidden by the lower arch of the back. I asked her if she wanted me to add the optional backrest pad and she said it would not be necessary.

Optional Back Rest Pad

2. I thought of the rack mount issue as well. Shad does provide stand alone steel supports (like Givi) depending on the bike. For instance my soon to be wife's Ninja 650 comes with a all steel rack. But it appears Shad has gone with this add on steel mount that lips under & attaches to the stock FJR rack and then bolts down into the bike rear end. So in other words (look at the side view picture of the rack) it is suspended up above the stock FJR rack. No weight is on the FJR rack! All the weight of the case is on the steel Shad rack. So I'm assuming/hoping that this is a much stronger base then how the Yamaha top case mounts to the stock FJR rack.

DSCF1420.jpg

I have a Shad SH50 with a matching silver top cover plate. Great top case. Easily fits 2 helmets and then some. Also I think it goes good with the lines of the bike. I believe they make OEM cases for Yamaha and BMW as well.

And yes, BY ALL MEANS use the Topmaster mount like Georgia Roller did too.

Hey GR, did you notice all of the GoPro mounting possibilities under the Topmaster mount :coolsmiley03:

photo.jpg

Glad you included the pic with the wife seated on it.. It looks as though the case sits further back on the mount compared to the factory setup I'm using.

I find this to be an issue when 2 up as I'm pushed up to the tank. The stock case sits almost flush with the seatback..

So I think my case and mount are up for sale now.

Where the hell is my camera?

I have had the Shad top case on my FJR's for close to 200k miles and have been satisfied with it. There is a back rest pad that you can buy - I have one and it works fine.

The only problem that I had was that I broke the mounting bracket twice, but it's not that expensive and it's easy to replace. I try to put the lighter bulkier stuff it the top case and leave the heavier stuff for the side cases.

I have a Shad SH50 with a matching silver top cover plate.
That SH50 looks almost like a factory match on your silver FJR! Looks terrific!

It looks as though the case sits further back on the mount compared to the factory setup I'm using.
Yes that is correct. It's offset back some from the rear of the 2up seat.

I have had the Shad top case on my FJR's for close to 200k miles and have been satisfied with it....I try to put the lighter bulkier stuff it the top case and leave the heavier stuff for the side cases.
+1

To me that's just good common sense in general. I'm not a pack rat & I don't try to pack the kitchen sink with me when I travel either. I try to pack light in general but it only makes sense to put your heavier items in your side cases and put your lighter gear up on in any top case.

No weight is on the FJR rack! All the weight of the case is on the steel Shad rack. So I'm assuming/hoping that this is a much stronger base then how the Yamaha top case mounts to the stock FJR rack.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!!! Thanks for playing, we have a nice set of parting gifts for you on the way out!!!! :D

That bolded statement is like stacking three bricks and saying there's no weight on the bottom brick, because the top one is resting on the second one.

Hopefully I'm not being a harbinger of doom, but you're not understanding what's under that stock rack. Short answer, NOTHING! All that bodywork under the flat of the rack, where the taillights are, has no structure, just plastic. The rack is hanging out over the end of the frame.

Here's a no-bodywork FJR pic on which I've illustrated the location of a top case. Notice that the entire case is cantilevered out over the back of the frame. Notice how I drew the grab handles in. As part of the rack, those are not just grab handles, they are part of the support for the rear rack, being placed in tension by the weight of whatever's on the rack.

boxonsubframe.jpg

Most of the subframe failures noted here on the forum were on bikes that had the grab handles cut or removed but still had a case installed by some other means, which put a huge torque moment on the rear bulkhead leading to fractures. There is at least one instance of the stock rack being broken, with the grab handles separating from the flat part of the rack, a failure in tension.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the install the way you have it, but it is in no way superior to the stock setup, because it sits on the stock setup. The Shad plate adds no reinforcement. So it works, but it's failure point will be about the same as with a stock rack and box.

Don't take this as, "Well shit! You got the wrong thing, dude!" Thousands of guys use the Yamaha and Shad systems just fine, and a whole bunch of folks mount the Givi box on adapter plates on the stock rack simply because they don't like the looks of the Givi replacement rack. Just take this as a correction to your assumption that it's stronger than the stock system, so don't put no 40-pound load in that case.

The previous owner of my bike put a Shad case on it. I've left it on and use it all the time I only wish it was removable. The way it's on the back it is bolted down.

I've been bitten with a broken sub frame, bugger.

I will only use the Givi SR 357 (Gen2) mounting frame/bracket from now on.

That last bolt on the rear only holds up the tail lights/mudguard.

It's a rather nice top box, anybody know if they can mount on the Givi rack ???

Cheers

It's a rather nice top box, anybody know if they can mount on the Givi rack ???

Cheers
My SHAD sits atop the SHAD mounting plate which is bolted on to the Givi rack. Works like a charm.

Previously, I had the SHAD mounted to an after market rack that put weight on the back of the sub frame (refer to wfooshee's drawring) and experienced a subframe failure that had to be repaired by way of welding.

My SHAD sits atop the SHAD mounting plate which is bolted on to the Givi rack. Works like a charm.

Previously, I had the SHAD mounted to an after market rack that put weight on the back of the sub frame (refer to wfooshee's drawring) and experienced a subframe failure that had to be repaired by way of welding.
Any reason you did not mount your SHAD using SHAD's accessories?

The reason I ask is that GIVI seems to have their own fitment frames that transfers the load to the FJR frame...does SHAD have their own fitment frames?

I think you guys are missing the point.

The shad case mounts on the OE rack. Which is only meant to carry a loaf of bread or a couple of pairs of silk panties. That stock rack is not intended to carry 20-25 lbs of stuff.

I mean c'mon... what does a case of beer and the appropriate qty of ice weigh?

I have the Givi box and Givi steel rack. And I'll defend my choice vehemently so that it makes me look like a farter smeller. :p

The shad case mounts on the OE rack. Which is only meant to carry a loaf of bread or a couple of pairs of silk panties. That stock rack is not intended to carry 20-25 lbs of stuff.

I have the Givi box and Givi steel rack. And I'll defend my choice vehemently so that it makes me look like a farter smeller. :p
Anyone that loads that much weight in the top case is assuming a fair amount of risk anyways. Just my opinion that it does, in fact, change the handling of the bike, albeit ever so slightly. Probably good for wheelies though :huh:

I have set a limit for myself of around 10 to 12 pounds. Shad states max load at 8KG (17 pounds) but I would never put that much crap in there. You are all correct in that the Shad mount - even the Topmaster mount - simply mounts into the stock rack holes. It's certainly seems rock-solid though. I am totally happy with it thus far and since I don't plan to load up like the Beverly Hillbillies I think I'll be fine. This is on a 2010 btw.

I've never claimed to be the sharpest stick in the eye...

So thanks for making it all clear for me. If you want to carry tissues and toilet paper in your topcase, use a SHAD...if you want to carry beer and ice (and who doesn't?) get a manly GIVI with it's proper frame...so the back end of your bike doesn't fall off.

Got it.

I've never claimed to be the sharpest stick in the eye...

So thanks for making it all clear for me. If you want to carry tissues and toilet paper in your topcase, use a SHAD...if you want to carry beer and ice (and who doesn't?) get a manly GIVI with it's proper frame...so the back end of your bike doesn't fall off.

Got it.
Never had any issues with beer & ice in my Shad box...just sayin

All in all, not a bad looking case. Like the price. But all things considered, I think I will stay with my 2 piece Riggpak. Allows me to always keep the pirate's lair backrest on all the time, and when you get somewhere like a hotel, you don't have to lug the hardcase around just for the backrest for the honey. And the 2 piece Riggpak will store more than any hardcase. And looks good to boot. But these hard cases are a good value, with the padded backrest for those who choose to go that route. Sure beats $700 for the yamaha setup.