Early February ride in New England

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was toiling away (yuh) at my office desk, and after the third conference call of the day (by 11AM), while continually staring out the office window at the brilliant winter sunshine streaming in, I pulled up the Weather.com web site and realized that today was going to be a "stellar day". Quickly scarfed down a sammich (during the noon t-con) and then checked out for some mental health "hookey time". Out ridin'!

The last ADVrider NH TagORama was left up in Andover, NH, at the Proctor Academy, a location hat we cruise by often in the summah months. So, I loaded up the Man-strom and headed out to bag that photo tag! :yahoo:

100_3105.jpg

Mission accomplished!

I then used my GPS to find the closest "free wi-fi" location so I could quickly upload my tag (one doesn't want to get "Bruced") and that turned out to be the Mickey D's in Warner. Punched that into the GPS and it gave me a delightful route up the Kearsarge Valley road. Got a cup a' Joe at McD's and did the upload deed, then when I got back to the bike I realized I didn't have a good plan for a new tag to get on the way home.

This time of year, it is always wise to keep the tags towards the warmer southern part of the state, in order to keep the game moving. So I pointed the bike to the south west and rolled out. I had a great idea to tag a Quaker Meetinghouse I'd ridden past once before in Henniker, but after trying to use the GPS to find it unsuccessfully, and riding around a while in the general area it was in, I gave up (for now) and rolled on.

I headed southwest through hysterical Hillsborough, and then to the southeast to find my eventual Tag-Du-Jour

100_3107.jpg

It's not nearly as rugged as it looks. The pavement is just off the edge of the picture to the left. ;)

But this particular state road, one of my friend ionbeam's absolute favorites :rolleyes: (not ) is definitely not fit for FJR consumption right now. I was really, really glad to be on the 'strom today with all of the frost heaves. Although really, it wasn't all that much worse than the typical roads in New Brunswick at CFR... :eek:

What a great afternoon. Look at that sun. Like I said, a special winter treat. This will certainly help contain my PMS a little bit until the real spring arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the meeting house also good to hear your pms is in check for another month or 3

I like the meeting house also good to hear your pms is in check for another month or 3

Yeah, when I walked to lunch around 2 or 3 I was willing to bet you'd be out riding. Thought you might ride the new toy since most of the dirt is relatively dry due to the low precip this year. Supposed to be nice today too. High near 49F in 03060.

Yeah, when I walked to lunch around 2 or 3 I was willing to bet you'd be out riding. Thought you might ride the new toy since most of the dirt is relatively dry due to the low precip this year. Supposed to be nice today too. High near 49F in 03060.
Haven't got around to getting the plate switched over to the new little guy yet. Then we need to spend some quality "getting acquainted" time.

The 'strom is the perfect bike for this time of year. Running my heated gear and a Givi windshield on it, I'm not too cold. And like mentioned, it makes short work of those New England frost heaves. I also have so little money tied up in the bike that I don't mind if I abuse it by getting a little salty road spray on it. If this one rots out I'll just go buy another one!

Fred, you suck. Jes sayin.

Thanks Russ!! Best compliment I've had all week. ;)