VOLCANO RIDE 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Saturday, June 30, 2012, 11am to 1:30 pm. Windy Ridge, bring your lunch and drinks. The usual, just ride and enjoy the roads to and from this wonderful location. Come by yourself or bring a friend. No sign up, no cost, no tee shirt, no hassle.

Saturday, September 22, 2012, 11am to 1:30pm. Same fun ride as the last one.

Volcano Ride
yahoo.gif

Pictures from 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157626381223433/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in.

Anyone staying in Stevenson Sat nite?

I may try to turn it into a longer ride on one end of the weekend or the other, go down to Hells Canyon and back if anyone's interested.

Hi Ken,

I'll be there. But try and bring your own lunch this time so I don't have to share.

Nothing like an early notice! Is the weather getting to you?

Yzerman19 & I will be taking a ride into Windy Ridge after NAFO as part of a southern loop down to San Fransisco and then back to Calgary to pick up the trailer before heading back across the flatlands. Ray & I have not planned out the loop yet but will be having a planning session later this month so we will see if we can work this in.

Will try to make one of these dates if not both. Might be interested in a Hells Canyon run too, will see how much time $$ I have left after NAFO.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks but this ride will have to be rescheduled. Forest Service road 25 will not be open until after July 4th this year. See the Gifford Pinchot National Forest web site for more.

Due to the heavy snowfall in February and March the passes will like open later than normal with 20% to 50% above average snowfall in the Cascades.

This just sucks. It is March 17th today and it is snowing at my house this morning. I live at 250 above sea level near Seattle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks but this ride will have to be rescheduled. Forest Service road 25 will not be open until after July 4th this year. See the Gifford Pinchot National Forest web site for more.

Due to the heavy snowfall in February and March the passes will like open later than normal with 20% to 50% above average snowfall in the Cascades.

This just sucks. It is March 17th today and it is snowing at my house this morning. I live at 250 above sea level near Seattle.
Time to break out the Dual Sports! ;)

So unless NF25 is opened earlier, the latter date will be our only opportunity for Windy Ridge this year.

Snowing at my place this morning too... :(

--G

What's the route?

Why's it called 'Windy Ridge'?

What makes this route good?
Windy Ridge

...an excuse to get out and ride. Parts of the roads are rough, broken up, frost heaved and sliding off the mountainside but other than that, great fun! I don't particularity care for

since the condition is so poor in places. The vid is of the southern end, in much better condition than the north side.
--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Windy Ridge is Forest Service (FS) road 99 and by many accounts is second best motorcycle road in Washington. Some think the North Cascades Hwy is better but I don't agree - especially since last year when WSDOT saw fit to chip seal the road from Rainy Pass to Winthrop. Grrrr........ So in my book this is the best ride in Washington.

As Escapefjrtist noted FS road 25 from Randle to FS road 99 is interesting, ride it fast and you will be wishing for a dual sport with lots of suspension travel. It is pretty rough in places. South of FS 99, FS 25 become very nice.

The pavement on FS 99 is pretty damn nice especially the first 4 miles from FS road 25 to Bear Meadows. Common baby let's do the twist! After Bear Meadows the pavement is pretty good but watch out for the road heaves in spots. It is all asphalt, not cheap seal - oh yeah!

The way out the road is a little rougher since it is on the downward slope side of the hill.

Here is a

of the ride. Awesome video by the way.
It is best to do this ride during the weekday, especially after Labor Day. Not a soul around if you get my drift. :yahoo:

I recommend doing this ride soon. The good sight lines are starting to disappear as trees are growing quickly in the blow down area.

On a more personal note Fontanaman was up to Windy Ridge in 1986 on his old Honda street motorcycle when the route was gravel.

Before Mt. St. Helens blew this and many of the other twisty road we enjoy today did not exist. This makes Fontanaman think it would be a good idea if another Cascade Volcano went off.

Of course riding Hwy 36 in California is even better as it is similar in twistyness but is about 120 miles longer.

Snowing all over Gig Harbor/Kitsap Peninsula too. Boooooo! So much for global warming.