2007 Suzuki M109R

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willboe

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I went from a Volusia (now M50) to the FJR

My bike back aches just looking at that vid :blink:

Thankfully, there's a lid for every pot !! Good luck with the sale :D

Edit: for the bike / back thing ;)

I went from a Volusia (now M50) to the FJR

My BACK aches just looking at that vid :blink:

Thankfully, there's a lid for every pot !! Good luck with the sale :D
I would not trade my FJR for any other bike, well maybe a newer FJR :) . Does your 'bike' ache, or your back ? ? ? Thanks for the luck wish too.
:rofl: Nice catch !!

It's my back <still laughing>

Looks totally stock. They are nice cruisers with good HP and Torque. I sold mine before I got the FJR. But they like to break clutch cables (common issue) and when you get about 30,000 miles on them the second gear likes to go (becoming a common issue). Also mine developed clutch shudder at about 15,000 miles (common issue).

So they're nice powerful V-Twin muscle cruisers but I don't have a lot confidence in the long term reliability of them and Suzuki won't admit that there is an issue with them. They are NOT high mileage bikes like the FJR! They have too much torque for the stock hollow tube shift forks that Suzuki puts in them. Would be a nice change of pace bike for Sunday afternoon cruises is about it as a second bike.

Not trying to rain on your parade for selling this for your buddy...I'm just being honest about what I know about these bikes since I rode one for 2yrs. My friends 06 M109R is needing a new 2nd gear put in. Your talking $2000 if you do it yourself and about $3500 if a dealer does it for you. :blink:

Looks totally stock. They are nice cruisers with good HP and Torque. I sold mine before I got the FJR. But they like to break clutch cables (common issue) and when you get about 30,000 miles on them the second gear likes to go (becoming a common issue). Also mine developed clutch shudder at about 15,000 miles (common issue).

So they're nice powerful V-Twin muscle cruisers but I don't have a lot confidence in the long term reliability of them and Suzuki won't admit that there is an issue with them. They are NOT high mileage bikes like the FJR! They have too much torque for the stock hollow tube shift forks that Suzuki puts in them. Would be a nice change of pace bike for Sunday afternoon cruises is about it as a second bike.

Not trying to rain on your parade for selling this for your buddy...I'm just being honest about what I know about these bikes since I rode one for 2yrs. My friends 06 M109R is needing a new 2nd gear put in. Your talking $2000 if you do it yourself and about $3500 if a dealer does it for you. :blink:
Me < Fan of your Vids. Thanks for your comments. My parade is still dry. Mike meticulously does all the maintenance, and uses premium oil. I can only hope that this will help with the clutch/second gear thing. As regards the clutch cable, I'm not surprised. I just noticed this morning for the first time (in my video) that there are several tight plastic ties holding cables to the handle bars. I'll bet as much as 23 cents that clipping some of those will make that clutch cable last longer . . .

As regards the clutch cable, I'm not surprised. I just noticed this morning for the first time (in my video) that there are several tight plastic ties holding cables to the handle bars. I'll bet as much as 23 cents that clipping some of those will make that clutch cable last longer . . .
Usually the clutch cables break down at the lower connection point.

For a cruiser it has so much going for it, unique looks, 120hp, fun to ride, handles well for a bike bike...etc. I just wished Suzuki did a better job with the clutch and transmission on these.

I hope the seller didn't get scammed.
Re: 'scammed': Yea, me too. It was a bit edgy; the buyer is allegedly a Russian broker in the Seattle area, who finds bikes for people in Russia. I expressed my concerns, he sent a cashiers check up front & told me to let him know when it cleared. I actually opened a checking account on the bank that the cashiers check was drawn on. It was the only way to 'clear' the funds quickly. If I had deposited it in my bank, It could still be subject to being reported as; lost or stolen buy the sender until it cleared the bank who issued the check. Allegedly this might take a few weeks. The manager at my new bank assured me the funds were real within 24 hours of being deposited. Next, another Russian is going to come & pick the bike up site unseen. I insisted that my Seattle broker send me his name in writing with specific permission for me to to turn the bike, the title, & a bill of sale over to him. He did, I did. I also had the receiver sign a receipt, & I shot a photo of his California Commercial drivers license.

So far so good.

ps: the guy paid $7700 for the bike. The young man who picked it up said it would go for around $20K in Russia . . .

Wow! $20k in Russia!

Sounds like them poor bastards don't get a very good choice in motorcycles.

Wow! $20k in Russia!

Sounds like them poor bastards don't get a very good choice in motorcycles.
Well, you and I may have a strong preference for the FJR over the M109R (and most other bikes for that matter), but when you consider my buyer's situation dealing with: risk (he sent me money up front), local delivery fees (California to Seattle), Customs paperwork, global shipping charges (to Russia), and some profit, maybe $20K in Russia is not so bad.

I will tell you this though, if money were no issue, I would give that 6 cylinder BMW a test ride . . .