Anybody in Portland Area with a Shiver or Tuono I could check out?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
I've been contemplating getting either a Shiver or a Tuono as a commuter and nice short-distance / day trip ride. I am tending towards the Tuono simply for the power ratio, but am trying to keep an open mind for either.

Some of you might remember what kind of physical issues I went through with two tib/fib fractures last year, one of which was from the heft of the bike when trying to get out of a lousy parking spot in September. In combination with clavicle and two rib fractures in 2008 from another MC accident I had, my wife's resulting push last fall to get me to stop riding all together has finally moved the discussion over winter towards maybe still having a bike, but for it to be mainly for short rides, and for it to be a light weight in the 400 lbs class...

Since there seem to be no Tuonos or Shivers available for sale locally (and MotoCorsa just told me they will no longer even be associated with Aprilia at all), I haven't had a chance yet to even just swing a leg over one, never mind going for a test ride. Any FJR owners in the Portland area that also have a a Tuono or Shiver in their stable that would be ok with me taking a closer look?

So as it stands I will likely have to sell my FJR soon to keep the peace at home, but since I have really gotten to love the ergos and the smooth power of my feejer, I want to be damn sure I can live with the decision (at least for a while) before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!!!

The street triple is a great bike (bought one for my wife, but I love it too), as long as you are not portly in portland. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, looks like I found somebody local through the AF1 Aprilia board that's willing to let me come by and have a look-see, just so I can make up my mind on where to go from here. :waaa:

If you are interested I have a Shiver for sale. It's an 09 with just over 1000 miles on it. I bought it new just last November. It's an awsome bike my situation has changed and I'm looking to change to a sport tourer. Here's a few pics...

Picture005b.jpg

Picture004B.jpg

Picture003b.jpg

Picture006b.jpg

Picture001b.jpg

Chris, if you're looking for lightweight [day trip] quick bike, check out a FZ8 or FZ1. Although not as sexy as a Tuono, the maintenance bills will likely be much less and you'll still have great smiles / miles ratio!

Good luck!

--G

Edit -- Don't rule out the new naked Honda 1000 either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, if you're looking for lightweight [day trip] quick bike, check out a FZ8 or FZ1. Although not as sexy as a Tuono, the maintenance bills will likely be much less and you'll still have great smiles / miles ratio!

Good luck!

--G

Edit -- Don't rule out the new naked Honda 1000 either.
Hi George,

I actually sat on a newer Tuono Factory late Sunday morning, and I am as good as sold on it. And yes, they are even better looking in person if that's possible. This particular bike had small bar risers, which made it very similar to my FJR in seating position. The knees are just a bit more bent, but I know now there's a cheap peg lowering solution available that would make it even more similar.

As to the maintenance bill, I will do all basic stuff myself anyways. AF1 Racing has all parts stocked in the US, so availability is not an issue anymore either. And the Rotax engine on these things is quite bullet proof, the only issues I've read about is electrical related to flaky ECUs, but that's all very rare, and there are some used ECUs for swapping available.

Most folks (for sure everybody I've been in contact with) just seem to enjoy them without any downside other than bad gas mileage, which is of course very much throttle related... :p

I guess even though it's still going to be with a VERY heavy heart, I am now more motivated to getting the FJR ready for sale. The clutch soak was so much easier than I thought, I wonder why I didn't do it much sooner. Checking the valves was a bit bigger job, but at least they are all close to spec, so no changes needed. I just need to take some good photos next weekend and I can post it.

If you are interested I have a Shiver for sale. It's an 09 with just over 1000 miles on it. I bought it new just last November. It's an awsome bike my situation has changed and I'm looking to change to a sport tourer. Here's a few pics...
Hi birdog,

Thanks for showing me your beautiful bike! As I said above, it looks like I am pretty much sold on the Tuono. Also, Alabama would have been just a bit far for me to ride it home without taking a bunch of vacation... I'll be looking a bit closer to home, within 1500 miles or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been contemplating getting either a Shiver or a Tuono as a commuter and nice short-distance / day trip ride. I am tending towards the Tuono simply for the power ratio, but am trying to keep an open mind for either.

Some of you might remember what kind of physical issues I went through with two tib/fib fractures last year, one of which was from the heft of the bike when trying to get out of a lousy parking spot in September. In combination with clavicle and two rib fractures in 2008 from another MC accident I had, my wife's resulting push last fall to get me to stop riding all together has finally moved the discussion over winter towards maybe still having a bike, but for it to be mainly for short rides, and for it to be a light weight in the 400 lbs class...

Since there seem to be no Tuonos or Shivers available for sale locally (and MotoCorsa just told me they will no longer even be associated with Aprilia at all), I haven't had a chance yet to even just swing a leg over one, never mind going for a test ride. Any FJR owners in the Portland area that also have a a Tuono or Shiver in their stable that would be ok with me taking a closer look?

So as it stands I will likely have to sell my FJR soon to keep the peace at home, but since I have really gotten to love the ergos and the smooth power of my feejer, I want to be damn sure I can live with the decision (at least for a while) before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!!!
You might give RIDE motorsports in Woodinville Wa. a phone call. I was just there this afternoon and lo there was a shiver, brand new(year unknown) think the price was reduced to 7,990,it is an 11, also there is an 09 for 6990 also have aprilas on the floor but models and prices I did not pay attention to. Not a bad place to do business with in my experience. Anyway it is worth a call and ask to speak to Adam. # 425-487 3881.

Hi birdog,

Thanks for showing me your beautiful bike! As I said above, it looks like I am pretty much sold on the Tuono. Also, Alabama would have been just a bit far for me to ride it home without taking a bunch of vacation... I'll be looking a bit closer to home, within 1500 miles or so.
You'll love the T. I've got an 07 and still get a big grin. Watch the AF1 Forum and you'll find something.