Pelican vs Storm, the same thing, only different

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frito1

Reaction score
Anybody got real world experience with these? Do you have a opinion as to which design is preferred/superior? I'm fixin' to buy one for use as a MC top case, but I have very limited knowledge of these cases. The only one I've ever used was file folder sized Pelican. I'm looking at either a 1550 Pelican or a 2600 Storm, very near the same dimensions & price, but I'm unsure of which to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally biased on the Pelicans. I've used a 1520 on the FJR for years and upgrading to 1550 this year for a little more space. I use a 1500 and 1450 for other things. Pelican are superior IMO.

Pelicans! They are Bulletproof and Hands Down, the way to Go. I use them as Shipping Containers for all my Inspection Equipment. They have been dropped from the top of an Airplane and Keeps on Ticking. :D

+2 on the Pelicans. Never used them for MC case, but for a lot of other things (electronic test equipment, antennas, tracking packages, etc.). Don't know about the other brand.

I have 3 Pelican cases.... 2 for my Contender Barrels each hold 4 barrels with scopes...and one that I use for a camera case..

Very hardy and protecting

I donno about Storm either, but my precision rifle and my competition pistols fly all over the place in Pelican cases. We all know how airline luggage handlers treat stuff and none of the contents has ever seen damage.

I used top loading Pelican 1430 (small) and 1440 (large) as side cases on my VStrom 650 and they were bombproof. The 1550 as a top box is a wonderful way to go, just keep in mind you can't stash a helmet in this box, though, if that is important to you. And it is heavier than just about any dedicated, motorcycle specific case you could use as a top box. Pelicans do come in a few other colors than just black, just in case you're curious. I used their silver cases on my blue VStrom. Case Club is the place I bought mine from- https://www.pelicancarryingcases.com/medium-pelican-cases.htm $114 for the case (no foam inserts, foam is extra if you want it). I line the bottom of my top case (Givi at this time, and the Pelican side cases before) with some thin egg crate foam from an upholstery shop, helps keep stuff from flopping around too much, and adds cushioning for things like camera gear, etc.

Any of you 1550 top box owners using the factory rack as the box mount, or have you gone to plan B? (Modify the factory rack, or use an aftermarket rack?)

I have the 1550 on mine and love it, don't know anything about the Storm.

dsc01946a.jpg

I started to use Pelican cases in 1994. I have used them for scuba gear, camera & optical equipment and firearm transportation. They have survived three trips to South Africa and many other destinations.

I have never experienced any damaged gear.

I couldn't be more satisfied with this product.

I have no first hand knowledge about Storm products.

Pelican has a well-deserved rep. Cost effective and tougher than snot. I personally think they're fugly as sin for a top case so went with a Givi instead. I do use Pelican stuff for my DSLR and other important items.

Must be why none of us have heard of "Storm" cases. The Storm is a Pelican model. Hahahaha...Just buy the Pelican dude. You won't be sorry.

My research had already indicated that Hardigg Industries was a competitor to Pelican and Pelican bought them out in 2009. Hardigg had an association with the military market and Pelican was more consumer oriented. I knew both were quality cases and that it was Pelicans injection molding VS the roto molding of the Hardigg/Storm. Each seems to have a following with many mentions of the Storm's push to release latches. I was curious to see if anyone had used both and had a preference, since they're both owned by Pelican now and both have lifetime warranties, I guess it's just a matter of latch types.

https://www.pelican.com/synergy/

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread so educate me. How are you mounting the case? I have a Garauld rear rack. The easy way would be some ubolts around the bars on the rack and drill holes in the box to line em up. Does anyone want to post pics of their set up?

Joe

Pelican 1550 mounted on a Givi rack. I have a RAM mount for attaching a GoPro camera on the side of the case and my SPOT mounted on the top.

i-DgJqNhT-XL.jpg

i-z4m5cdX-XL.jpg

There are four button headed stainless machine screws through a .080 aluminum plate on the bottom of the case that attach the case to the Givi rack.

i-5PTpT5C-XL.jpg

Looks like I should wash it.

I finally got to see a Storm case in real life. We have several Pelicans around the workplace, but we got in some new equipment in a Storm case this week. The construction of the Storm is very similar to the Pelican as far as material, overall design, and thickness. The question that started this thread is what are the real differences. The cases we have are all of similar size. The Pelican has two separate hinges, while the Storm has a piano style hinge. I'd say the Storm would have a strength advantage there. The latches are the major difference. The Pelicans we have require a good deal of force to open or close, a simple friction type, the latch snaps over a pin to lock. The Storm has a push button in the center of the latch, it closes with the touch of a finger and opens just as easily, but the latch is secure. It almost seems too easy. I'd guess the strength of both latches to be pretty equal. I was on the fence, but I think I'm gonna give the Storm a try. I like the latches and since the case carries a lifetime warranty like the Pelicans there is little at risk.

We sell Storm cases. These boxes are popular in the dive business for protecting cameras and dive computers,etc. We used to sell Pelicans only until we had to compete with the internet and couldn't beat their prices. Brick & mortar businesses hate having to do that you know. The storm cases have been excellent for our customers and no complaints that I know of.As was stated the construction is similar,strong and durable. You can't go wrong on either box from my experience. There was another brand named Otter Box that was good as well but I haven't seen those in a while.