The next time you lose a small part down in the engine area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJet09

Nondescript FJR Hierarchy Displayed
Reaction score
A few months ago I lost one of the stainless nylock nuts that attach my gps cradle to my mount down in the engine somewhere. That kind of thing always bugs me, but no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find the darned thing. I've seen lots of threads on lots of forums where someone does the same thing and a bunch of smart a$$es tell him to turn the bike over and shake it out. Fast forward to today.

I was kind of frustrated and in a hurry leaving work...didn't respect the horsepower of my FJR...wet parking lot...jerky, abrupt application of throttle...ok, I was just plain stupid and let my bike fall over at slow speed at work. I know better than that, but that's a different story.

After picking the bike up with the help of my boss who saw the whole thing :censored: :blushing: and looking it over, I headed down the road much more humble. After about five miles and several lights, I stopped at a red light and just happen to look down toward my left boot just in time to see this fall and bounce once.

img2564g.jpg

So I guess you guys were right! All you have to do to retrieve a missing part in the engine area is tip your bike over and shake it a bit, then be lucky enough to see it fall out somewhere down the road. Piece of cake.

I'm keeping a sense of humor about the whole thing. This all happened because I was pissed about work and lost focus...well that and riding like an idiot. The left bag is pretty scratched up, but not much other damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Phil. I had a fall a month or so also. I was using the OES Frame Sliders and had only small scratches on the left bag and bottom of the crankcase cover. The left slider was scratched all to hell and gone, however. Just wondering if you were using any type of sliders. :)

It's a good thing you only fly the plane and not have your A&P license.. :rolleyes:

Actually I worked as an A&P/IA for about 8.5 years before I got my first flying job. You should see how I find missing fasteners in a Learjet.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Phil. I had a fall a month or so also. I was using the OES Frame Sliders and had only small scratches on the left bag and bottom of the crankcase cover. The left slider was scratched all to hell and gone, however. Just wondering if you were using any type of sliders. :)

I've got the Motovation sliders which saved all the expensive plastic up front, but it and the bag took the brunt of the fall and short slide.

... You should see how I find missing fasteners in a Learjet.
The answer is so obvious..... you just fly it upside down. ;)

You should see what happens when you lose a plastic fastener inside the stator a 1000MW generator at a nuclear power plant. :(

Mmmmmmmm...Breasts.

Don't sweat dropping the bike. Lots of us have done it. For cryin' out loud, they only have 2a wheels. Who the Hell thought that would be a good idea. They fall over, our ego gets bruised, and we move on.

At least your keeping positive about it. Oh...and never let your work stress you like that. Totally not worth it.

You should see what happens when you lose a plastic fastener inside the stator a 1000MW generator at a nuclear power plant. :(
Or an instrument tech's tiny screwdriver in the front plenum of an industrial gas turbine (you could see where his name had been engraved on what was left of it :eek: )

Or an instrument tech's tiny screwdriver in the front plenum of an industrial gas turbine (you could see where his name had been engraved on what was left of it :eek: )

Yikes