Thinking About My August, 2017 Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I didn't want to put this in the "California" or "Northwest" ride planning areas, since it could appeal to most anybody. It's not like we don't have time to plan a trip, considering when this event is upcoming. Plus, it could just as easily go into ANY of the regional areas, excluding Canada, Europe, and Australia. (Sorry guys.)

Anyway, I know I'll be there--somewhere--on August 21, 2017, for a very very rare total solar eclipse that's going to pass through pretty much the entire United States! The linked site has individual maps for every state it passes through, from Oregon all the way to the coast in Georgia. The main thing you need to worry about is the likelihood of cloud cover, so I'm thinking eastern Oregon, but I'll be double checking weather patterns as the time approaches. I've always wanted to see a total eclipse--it's incredibly dramatic, and I've never seen one.

Even when you see a partial eclipse and the sun dims, it's nothing like totality. When you're in the path of totality, the sky suddenly goes from still-pretty-bright to total darkness, just like clicking off a switch. I've seen videos where big crowds just gasp, and then begin wildly cheering when that happens. The stars come out and the temperature suddenly drops by as much as 30 or 35o F! There are people who regularly schedule major trips and vacations to see one of these all over the world. Incredibly rare to have one take in most all of America like this. Geez, only five years to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's passing right over Hooterville! :clapping:

I guess I know where I'll be...if I ain't dead yet.

EDIT: I'll already be moved to Greenville, SC...which is in the path...so I guess THAT'S where I'll be.

Or somewhere else... :)

Thanks for the heads up Mike! I just reserved my spot at the top of the Cherohala Skyway in Tellico Plains, TN. I'm glad you were able to give us ample notice... :p

SacramentoMike Old Buddy, I really hate to have to break this to you, but in 5.5 years from right now, we'll probably both be DEAD! Not trying to be a downer, of course! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I think seeing from Grand Teton Natl. Park, or Casper Wyoming is the ticket for this. That time of year, there's not a lot of rain, so the clouds will be minimal. Great elevation and clear, blue skies with minimal city lights to mess things up.

Besides, it's a good excuse to ride Wyoming, hit the Chief Joseph Highway, and the Bear Tooth Pass.

I think seeing from Grand Teton Natl. Park, or Casper Wyoming is the ticket for this. That time of year, there's not a lot of rain, so the clouds will be minimal. Great elevation and clear, blue skies with minimal city lights to mess things up.

Besides, it's a good excuse to ride Wyoming, hit the Chief Joseph Highway, and the Bear Tooth Pass.

^^^^^^ One of Zilla's best posts ever! :yahoo:

That's a d@mn good idea.

SacramentoMike Old Buddy, I really hate to have to break this to you, but in 5.5 years from right now, we'll probably both be DEAD!
Wish I knew for sure. I'd open up a bunch more credit cards and run 'em all WAY up! But this is my fallback plan, just in case. . .

Here's an outstanding graphic from the same website. (UT is GMT or "Zulu" time--PST minus 8 hrs. But you knew that.)

usa2017.gif

Here's an outstanding graphic from the same website. (UT is GMT or "Zulu" time--PST minus 8 hrs. But you knew that.)
Yeah well, the shadow of the moon seems purty small when you see it cross the USA in the video above.

I'm just reminded of the moment in Mel Gibson's Apocalypto when a total eclipse of the sun, changes the Mayan king's agenda, if you choose to look up the video suggestion below.

Warning; The link is not provided here... so don't look up Apolcalypto Part 7 on You Tube. :nono:

SacMike -- It's your job to keep this thread alive until the magic moment! :lol:

Excellent idea HRZ...might have to do the same thing! :)

--G

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm going to plan to be in GA for this. I grew up there, but live in MI now, but I can picture the perfect spot back home to sit back and enjoy this show.