California Anti-Tampering Law

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road_Runner

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
CA's new law:

https://www.twistthegrip.com/2010/10/05/general/california-sb-435-has-been-signed-into-law/

From the link above:

CA has signind into law an Anti-Tampering Act... "it mandates that motorcycles maintain federally-required emissions equipment on both original and aftermarket exhaust systems, including the EPA stamp that certifies compliance (that the exhaust is clean burning and doesn’t exceed 80 decibels)"

Personally I don't mind a throaty exhaust, but a few of the cycles and cars out there are way too loud adn are ruining it for the rest of us.

What does that do for everyone who has removed the PAIR system? (or air induction systems used on lots of bikes)

I believe that realistically law enforcement at most will only check to make sure the cans have EPA conforming stamps on them. Beyond that, an inspection system would have to be instituted. CA has considered smog checks for MC's in the past. Thankfully they have not instituted them (yet).

Pretty old news. This won't affect PAIR removal. It has no chance at being enforced on the road unless you are a complete idiot with exhaust noise in a 2013+ bike. Because there will initially be so few vehicles that have applicability, I don't see LEOs being too excited to waste time on this. The law might be a big deal on cruiser forums, but most FJRs are pretty tame in noise profile, even with aftermarket exhaust.

I remember this was causing a bit of a ruckus (not the Honda Ruckus) when it was moving through the legislature.

I think it's beyond pointless, much like smog laws here in the PRC what's actually coming out of the tailpipe is largely irrelevant. Before a cop could issue a ticket based on noise levels, in theory they still can but it will be harder to prove.

It makes it harder to make/sell/use aftermarket exhaust no matter how quiet it might be (even if it were quieter than stock you could still get a ticket for it)

Some people will simply gut their stock exhaust, make their bikes loud as heck and it will be fine because it still has the magical EPA stamp on the exhaust.

Also it ignores the fact that most cops completely ignore loud-ass HDs because so many cops ride loud-ass HDs, even if the cop who might write the ticket doesn't ride his buddies do.

It will make it easier to harass sport bike riders who have aftermarket exhaust for performance reasons, before the cop could only write a squid a ticket if their bike was too loud now they will be pretty much able to write any bike they want a ticket if it has a non-stock exhaust.

One would hope that this new law applies to all forms of motor vehicles, and not just motorcycles.

Otherwise it doesn't seem constitutional.

Just so long as the bastards don't try to interfere with every California woman's right to tamper . . . with her boobs.

jodie-marsh-breast-implants.jpg

Just so long as the bastards don't try to interfere with every California woman's right to tamper . . . with her boobs.

jodie-marsh-breast-implants.jpg
I'd like to check the stamp on those cans!
Lemme understand..... are you volunteering to do the "close inspection"? :huh:

That's a loooooong line and SacMike is waaaay ahead of you. :rolleyes:

Frankly they need to put decible check on car stereo's. My house shakes every time one drives by. But I guess that comes with living in the hood. Sucka's. PM. <>< :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator: