ZRX1200R or TL1000R - which to keep?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
With urging from my wife and acknowledgement that with daughter gone in the USMC I have too many street bikes I am getting rid of at least one.

I mostly ride my FJR, reverting to one of these when I'm feeling the need for speed. (either one is better handling and much faster than the FJR)

I like both bikes (for different reasons) and can't decide which one to let go. in a drag race they're pretty much even unless the NO2 is used on the TLR.

TL1000R - 1000cc. V-twin. torque monster. killer sound. not many around. highly likely it'll be a collector bike down the road. Yosh cans, PCIII, Speigler handlebar kit, dry NO2, venture tour rack

ZRX1200R - the current version of the Z1 I had in college. Corbin seat, venture tour rack, Muzzy Pipe, jet kit, and dyno tuned. fast and lively. much nicer passenger accommodation. handles very well for a "standard". not as cool looking as the TLR.

so, anyone got an insight that maybe I missed?

Imo, you said the key word for keeping the TL "collector".

I kick myself every time I think about when I sold my '72 Triumph Trophy 250.

That would be so cool to have now.

Observation: I always find it interesting that those that live in the great white north and that have a 6 month riding season per year would have 3 or 4 motorcycles in the first place. Being that it's hard enough to ride one motorcycle on a shortened riding season let alone 3 or 4 motorcycles. I used to live way up north and had a boat. But then after a while it got old making monthly payments 12 months a year on something that you can only enjoy using 3 or 4 months a year when the weather was warm enough. It's no fun paying & insuring toys that sit in storage for the majority of the year.

Keep the TL 1000R is my vote however. The TL is more unique and different than the FJR and provides the most chance of pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are really cool bikes......I'd love to have either one. One question I would ask myself depends on your age. For you young folks it's no big deal, but those of us whom are more "experienced" can have issues with comfort. It's no fun to admit that you can't ride a certain bike as long as you used to, due to muscle/joint pain. Sometimes stuff just catches up to you. I hate the fact that I have the early stages of arthritis, but I'm doing what I can to delay the effects from progressing too rapidly.

So, are you young enough (in body, anyway) to assume that you'll be comfortable on either for more than a few years? I'd love either bike, but if I was younger and HAD to make a decision, I agree with most of the others.....the TL.

Well, I'm jaded. I have a TLR too and I would absolutely keep it! I have one and sold it back in '04. I just got another one last year and I won't be getting rid of it for a long time.

Rick

Wow! Thx everyone for responses.

Unanimous for the TLR! I did not expect that. Re: the riding position; the Speigler kit raised the handlebars considerably so it no longer requires a rider position appropriate for a proctologic exam. (Note the speigler kit was extremely well made.)

MArk

Sold my ZRX1200 four years ago when I bought my FJR and still regret it. I remember my wife saying "why don't you just keep it, you love that bike". I did love that bike, would go out to the garage and just stare at it. I think if I were to have 2 bikes I would have something completely different than the FJR. That said, my vote still goes with the REX, you just can't beat the Eddie Lawson replica. Would get more comments on that bike than any other I have ever owned.

I don't know how similar that Suze is to my brother's bike (Honda VTR-1000,) seems close spec-wise, but if I had a liter twin and an "everybody-else-has-one" four and had to get rid of one of them, I'd probably keep the twin.

I for one won't follow the crowd here. The TLR will never be a collector item (It never really distiguished itself as a race bike). They are simply too much of a pig and ill handling for my taste. The only racer I ever saw make one go was Tray Batey and he cursed everytime he rode it! He finally gave up and went back to his watercooled GSXR1100.

The rear cylinder heats up the frame and really toasts ones leg in the summer time. The bike had a short production span for a reason!

The ZRX has a cool factor all unto its own. It resembles the mighty ELR (I use to own one), but has all the good modern features with the chassis and engine. I only wish they were FI, but I can live without it on that bike. There's no mistaking a ZRX for anything else but a ZRX. Just a great modern day standard that will age well like a fine wine.

The ZRX has a cool factor all unto its own. It resembles the mighty ELR (I use to own one), but has all the good modern features with the chassis and engine. I only wish they were FI, but I can live without it on that bike. There's no mistaking a ZRX for anything else but a ZRX. Just a great modern day standard that will age well like a fine wine.
Best answer yet!

What the fuck is a TLR? Some kind of mult-function Japanese copier/printer/fax machine?

Although, I MIGHT be biased.....
rex.jpg
..... :D

BTW, inco....ZRX WITH FI! (wrong color & damn Japan market only@!)

(clicky piccy)

Keep the TL.

Sell the ZRX and do your best to see that it goes to an owner that will provide it with a nice, tropical climate!

Which color is it?