PIAA Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
Part of my "winter" (what passes for it here in sunny Fl) upgrades was to be a set of PIAA sports horns. From what I read here they are plug'n'play, no mods required.

I've called all over the place (~20) and no one has them in stock, and while a few have said "a couple of weeks", Autobarn called the warehouse and said they were given a May 6 date was soonest.

Does anyone have a set of these they won't be using or more likely are there other replacement horns available that are both as good and easy hookup? One of the horns a vendor suggested was the Hella Supertones; same shape as stock but bigger - almost 5 inches plus they pull 144 watts so I'd guess a relay install would be required.

I'm no stranger to mods, but wanted to do this the simple way; suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check motogearoutlet.com? They may have them in stock. If you call them, ask for Mary and tell her AJ in Albuquerque told you to call.

Otherwise, you may be able to get them directly from PIAA.

Yeah, just double checked, the 500 / 600 version is suppose to be in stock for Amazon (and they are sold to amazon by sports barn.... hmmmmm)

Really like those horns. the last 2 bikes of mine I've installed them on, couldn't be happier with them.

One of the horns a vendor suggested was the Hella Supertones; same shape as stock but bigger - almost 5 inches plus they pull 144 watts so I'd guess a relay install would be required.
Fljab, the Hella Super tones are also plug and play! No relay required. I installed them on my '06AE as recommended by Just Roy. This member is an electrician and he told me all is good! They are Well below the Amps for that system. Go for it. I did and my Super tones have been honking loud and proud ever since! Get a set and put them in! :yahoo:

One of the horns a vendor suggested was the Hella Supertones; same shape as stock but bigger - almost 5 inches plus they pull 144 watts so I'd guess a relay install would be required.
Fljab, the Hella Super tones are also plug and play! No relay required. I installed them on my '06AE as recommended by Just Roy. This member is an electrician and he told me all is good! They are Well below the Amps for that system. Go for it. I did and my Super tones have been honking loud and proud ever since! Get a set and put them in! :yahoo:
What about the size? They look to be somewhat bigger - did you have to modify anything/mounts?

I'll also contact Amazon and see if the PIAA's are physically in stock; I've been on numerous vendor websites that say they are in stock when in fact they drop ship them from the (same?) Oregon warehouse.

I missed HRZ's place being open by 30 minutes last night; need to call them as well.

What about the size? They look to be somewhat bigger - did you have to modify anything/mounts?

I'll also contact Amazon and see if the PIAA's are physically in stock; I've been on numerous vendor websites that say they are in stock when in fact they drop ship them from the (same?) Oregon warehouse.

I missed HRZ's place being open by 30 minutes last night; need to call them as well.
It looks like it depends on the model and year of your bike. I have an '06AE. The left horn fit perfectly. The right horn needed a small notch cut out of the black fender wall to accommodate about a quarter of the horn. Easy peasy and no big deal. Others have told me they installed both of them with no notch needed. I guess some years have different fender walls. Go figure! :)

The link to Amazon I sent is the horns (500/600) I have on my 08AE. Plug and play with no issues with size or installing other than a slightly awkward area for hands and wrench.

I had the dealer install my PIAAs when they took it out of the crate and if under stood him right he ordered them from a Yamaha parts catalog. You could try a Yamaha dealer. The one problem I had and didn't know it until they were installed, they sent a pair of 500hz and I wanted 500-600hz. So make sure they order the pair you want.

I ordered a pair of PIAA 500-600hz horns from Amazon on Saturday via the Auto Barn and just receive an email saying it was cancelled. Didn't say they were out of stock or they're not making them anymore, just said they cancelled it. :( Is PIAA still making the sport horns or the 600hz horn anymore??

I ordered a pair of PIAA 500-600hz horns from Amazon on Saturday via the Auto Barn and just receive an email saying it was cancelled. Didn't say they were out of stock or they're not making them anymore, just said they cancelled it. :( Is PIAA still making the sport horns or the 600hz horn anymore??
sheeesus deang, I don't know, but I'm sure glad I ordered mine a few weeks ago!!

No, really, this is serious. Maybe we should call PIAA...

okay, just got off the phone with piaa, they definitely have them in stock. If you go to their website and click "buy now" you'll have them. The nice young lady I spoke to said she has no idea what could be going on with Amazon or Sports Barn, but she said they are in stock and they have plenty of them...

I installed the Supertones on my '09, in the stock horn position with no modification necessary. You do have to rotate the mounting tab on the right horn 180 degrees so the connecting wires stay in the stock position. I used a wiring harness with relay from Eastern Beaver, mounted the relay on the left side to the rear of the miniature glove box. No problems with alerting drivers to my presence now.

Several available on ebay.

Ebay - Slimline Sports
Going back to my original post, MAKE SURE the vendor has them on the shelf, not just doing a drop ship. I ordered off ebay originally from Auto Barn and after waiting past the arrival date, I sent a message and got the May 6 estimated date.

I then ordered from another ebay vendor that said "more than 10 available" when in fact they didn't have any either; after that I spent a fair amount of time calling different companies that had them listed with no luck, then posted here.

The second company offered me a set of Hella Supertones so I am taking those instead after hearing they will fit.

Dunno the issue with why these companies can't seem to get them from the mfg warehouse, and maybe I just didn't call the right one, but somethin' is going on!

Ordered the 85114 set from Amazon on Saturday; received a notification of shipment yesterday, scheduled to arrive here tomorrow, according to Amazon.

Well, the reason I think we should "get to the bottom of this" issue is because the PIAA horns are great horns. I've had these on my last 2 bikes and they work great.

Pretty much every other horn I've tried, be they Hella, Stebel, etc, will all need a relay. Remember, if they send you a relay with the horns, then you probably need one.

What you are looking at without using the recommended relay is a burnt out horn switch... and that's expensive to replace.